2001 TMA-1 (Monolith) Real Movie Dimensions

CAPTAINCOX

Sr Member
Hi Guys

Want to start like a 3 days build or something of the sort. As I got me this 1:6 Scale Bowman figure from Executive Replicas
d1ec0e_f71cff078bfd40cab120425b082fc1f8.jpg

I want to make a display base with a Monolith as a backdrop, Backlit Frosted glass plate with Grid lines (like in the Last Scene with Bowman dying in the bed in front of the Monolith).
2001-hotel-monolith.jpg

I think it will be a simple but a pretty cool display base

Now, I been sifting the net for like...oh well hours now and I can't seem to nail down the exact dimensions of the MOVIE! Monolith. I know I know 1:4:9 but of WHAT?
And I also know that the Movie Monolith was slimmer as Kubrick thought it would look to "Slab like" if using the exact dimensions from Clark's book.

Executive Replicas also do a Monolith in 1:6 (24"/10"/2")but I don't want to spend like 300$ for a pice of plexiglass that I can build myself in jiffy :p Does the dimensions of the ER Monolith add up? it looks somewhat tall to me but could be wrong.
MONOLITH.jpg
Approximate Dimensions in cm of the ER Monolith.

Any ideas?

Cheers Guys.

Last edited:
I'm not sure, but it looks like the same as the one seen on the moon. And yeah 1:4:9 is way off, it would look like a brick. It's more like 1:10:22 but I haven't done the math on it.

And you don't need that expensive one. I'd cut it from wood, soak it real good in epoxy and sand the crap out of it until smooth. A satin black finish would be best because it's not very reflective.

That's how I would calculate it... but I can't guarantee it's all mathematical correct ?! looks logical at least, and if you think the ER looks some tall, that's the optimal solution...

1cace7f42a504847dc7a00fbd40231fe.jpg

Hope it helped and much luck with your build !!!

The 1:4:9 ratio was a conceit for the book, representing the first three squared numbers, it was never used for the film.
Various pyramids, blocks etc were considered for the film, but ultimately the rectangular monolith was chosen. A transparent prototype was created with the idea of projecting images onto it, but Kubrick disliked the tests, so the black monolith emerged.
The Perspex monolith was reused and reworked incorporating a crown design, for a London Bank, I think.

The monolith prop dimensions are said to have been 10ft 9inches by 5ft 9inches by 8inches. If I can find the source for that info, I'll add it.

Prop was 8 inches by 69 inches by 129 inches. (Tbc)

A 1/6th model would be 1.333 inches by 11.5 inches by 21.5 inches

There is no convenient whole number ratio (It's 1: 8.625: 16.125)

Hi Guys.

Thanks for all the info. I finished the Monolith with the Base and it looks cool...I think.
I finally made the Monolith out of Styrene as I had some sheets laying around in the basement..like you do :). I made it close to 60cm in height which is sorta 12 Feet in full-size.
87a7e0874c83d758ec05a59a803af772.jpg2001-space-movie-screencaps.com-5315.jpgf64de7de5639c10323acd4f1bda31318.jpg
Been looking at as many ref pics I could get my hands on and I think the size is about right.

fullsizeoutput_8b7.jpegIMG_4263.JPGIMG_4264.JPGIMG_4265.JPG
As I didn't want to crop the pics some of them are displayed sideways but only in the Preview, double-click and they show ok .

Cheers Guys.

That looks great!

If you have the time, you might want to make a slight improvement on the figure's face as it came from the factory. If the figure matches its publicity shots, the eyebrows are a bit too dark. I think that if you lighten them a bit, you'd get him just right. Of course, you might have already done it ...

(Original, Photoshopped, Keir.)
Bowman.jpgBowman 2.jpgkeir dullea.jpg

Excellent job/results Captain:cool!! And yes, that face could be much improved by changing the hair/eyebrow color as well as removing the Mascara under his eyes;)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back