Star Wars: Battlefront 2 (DICE)

I was a huge fan of the original xBox Star Wars Battlefield I and II. I did buy the 2015 SW Battlefield and although it took some time, I really enjoyed it and still play it frequently. So far with BF II, I'm disappointed. The single player campaign is OK, but I get bored quickly. I love playing online. The online gameplay with BF II just feels off and I can't pinpoint why. I am chalking it up to a new learning curve for now and will keep at it. I wished they would have stuck with SWBFI's formula and just added new maps, new characters, new vehicles and weapons, new unlocks, etc.

I enjoyed the campaign mode. I liked the story and the scenery was just incredible. I saw some comments above about the Luke section and I liked it. Although short I think it adds to Luke's character quite a bit.

I would pay money to just play single player games in the engine with these models. More capital ship battles please!

I enjoyed the campaign mode. I liked the story and the scenery was just incredible. I saw some comments above about the Luke section and I liked it. Although short I think it adds to Luke's character quite a bit.

I would pay money to just play single player games in the engine with these models. More capital ship battles please!

I enjoyed seeing Luke’s softer side. He wasn’t given a choice so he defeated the troopers but spares Dell...

So is anyone thinking Iden and Dell has a child and Dell left but something happened to Iden? So Rey gets left on Jakku while Iden goes to the Corvus to avenge Dell? It was a good way to throw them into the mix. I didn’t like how they switched over so easily but that seems to be the recurring them with Star Wars, people having a change of heart or rebelling against the Empire

The campaign mode has the quality and play-feel that Andromeda should have had.

despite all the crap, the game is fun. The kid and I put a Day in and got to about level 10, all our classes between 6-12. We’ve unlocked a few goodies, the stock heroes are fine. Vader and Luke are in arcade mode.

Only complaint about the economy is that aside from the epic star cards I got from buying the deluxe edition, we’ve pulled zero upper level cards from loot crates. It’ll def be a grind to not just be slaughtered constantly.

I enjoyed seeing Luke’s softer side. He wasn’t given a choice so he defeated the troopers but spares Dell...

So is anyone thinking Iden and Dell has a child and Dell left but something happened to Iden? So Rey gets left on Jakku while Iden goes to the Corvus to avenge Dell? It was a good way to throw them into the mix. I didn’t like how they switched over so easily but that seems to be the recurring them with Star Wars, people having a change of heart or rebelling against the Empire

Yeah when I heard that blurb that is the first direction my mind went for sure hehe

23622417_1635826839817384_6658993090930190476_n.jpg

It's been taking a deserved beating in the press.

From playing it for a few days, at this point, I would say that it's a good game, with the potential to be a great game, but it needs a few significant changes.

1. The credit drop rate needs to be increased. It's really, really slow. It seems fast...at first...but that's because you're completing a bunch of easy tasks that give in-game rewards, including the campaign (which gives you 5000 credits total). But once those tasks are done, the credit rate slows to a crawl. The upper end for a game -- usually a full game of Galactic Assault going to the final stage -- is around 385c. You can get an additional 500c from the arcade mode each day, but that can take time (there's currently a way to run a particular map in 6 seconds and still get the credits -- 100 per run for 5 runs -- but I wouldn't be surprised if that's patched later). There's a daily challenge, but it's usually a bit tricky when you're getting started, and it only gives you 100c anyway. All tolled, to earn enough to buy one of the less expensive crates (which I recommend), you probably have to play for about 3 hours. That has nothing to do with the guns, either, which are locked away behind their own progression grind. You unlock guns for each class by scoring kills with that class. You unlock attachments to improve the guns by scoring kills with specific guns for which you want the attachments. There's no other way to get the guns or attachments. And they generally make the guns flat-out better; it's not as if there's a tradeoff, like, say, giving you better recoil at the cost of faster overheating or something. Also, your end-of-match credit drop has only like 20% of the rate related to your performance in-game. The rest is based entirely on how long you played....meaning that a quick win actually nets you fewer overall credits (not sure if it's more efficient, though).

2. The matchmaking sucks. You're matched against people who have a ton more stuff unlocked, and who can end up being WAY better, which just makes the game no fun. There's also no team scramble at the end of each round, so if a round starts off unbalanced, it'll probably stay that way. You repeat each map twice for modes like Starfighter Assault and Galactic Assault, and, I think, Strike. Not sure on blast or HvV. But this means that when one team steamrolls the other, it's gonna happen twice. It also means that you can end up spending a LOT of time on each map, if the match goes the whole round.

3. The game is really newbie-unfriendly, when set up like this. It's manageable now, because everyone's still learning the maps, but there is a noticeable difference in performance when you have cards, and then when you upgrade them or pull upgraded versions from the crates. For the most part, the crates are the only way to get cards, almost all of which directly improve your performance. Only a handful are "sidegrades." I still don't like the sidegrades, but I like them alot better than the cards that do stuff like say "Your health recharges 30% faster" or whatever. Unfortunately, the sidegrade cards make up a small fraction of the total. Most just make your in-game avatar perform better. The only other crates you get are the daily crate -- which may give you NO cards and which has happened to me twice already -- or from a couple of the task rewards for specific classes.

4. This is less of a true "problem," but right now, it makes a lot more sense to buy hero or starfighter crates. They're just over half the price of a trooper crate, but the drop rate for all of the crates as far as cards goes makes it so that you're just as likely to end up with a bunch of useless hero emotes from a starfighter crate as you are to get actual starfighter cards. Or your hero crate might still end up dropping a trooper card. It's a total crapshoot as to how well you do with each crate, too. I've gotten really good ones with like 5 cards including two upgrades ones, or I've gotten three-card crates that had mostly crap. The randomness of the crates is NOT fun, and it's absolutely "gambling" even with just in-game credits (to say nothing of when they let you buy crystals for star cards).

5. In my opinion, heroes are way, way too expensive. The really fun ones cost anywhere between 5000 and 8000 battle points. It's possible to get that, and I usually see at least one or two people running heroes in a given match, but it makes them a lot less common. The hero spawning system also kinda sucks in that you might have accumulated a ton of battlepoints in a round, but because someone is playing really cautiously with their hero, you're never gonna get the chance to play as one outside of HvV. I would almost prefer the game to just randomly select someone who has accumulated the required battlepoints and give them the option to spawn in as a hero. Like "You've gotten enough battlepoints to play as a hero! Accept?" and then you just pick which one for your side.

All that aside, the core gameplay can be really, really awesome. I see a ton of potential for this game. It could be truly amazing, if not of a lot of this stuff, which is I think why peopel are really hammering it in reviews. So many of the problems tie directly back to the stupid pay-2-win system that they implemented, and merely removing that part hasn't solved the bulk of them. But it can get better, and I really hope it does. There's a great game struggling to get out from underneath all of this.

Guys, please keep all spoiler info either marked as such or discussed in a separate thread.

Thanks!

It's been taking a deserved beating in the press.

From playing it for a few days, at this point, I would say that it's a good game, with the potential to be a great game, but it needs a few significant changes.

1. The credit drop rate needs to be increased. It's really, really slow. It seems fast...at first...but that's because you're completing a bunch of easy tasks that give in-game rewards, including the campaign (which gives you 5000 credits total). But once those tasks are done, the credit rate slows to a crawl. The upper end for a game -- usually a full game of Galactic Assault going to the final stage -- is around 385c. You can get an additional 500c from the arcade mode each day, but that can take time (there's currently a way to run a particular map in 6 seconds and still get the credits -- 100 per run for 5 runs -- but I wouldn't be surprised if that's patched later). There's a daily challenge, but it's usually a bit tricky when you're getting started, and it only gives you 100c anyway. All tolled, to earn enough to buy one of the less expensive crates (which I recommend), you probably have to play for about 3 hours. That has nothing to do with the guns, either, which are locked away behind their own progression grind. You unlock guns for each class by scoring kills with that class. You unlock attachments to improve the guns by scoring kills with specific guns for which you want the attachments. There's no other way to get the guns or attachments. And they generally make the guns flat-out better; it's not as if there's a tradeoff, like, say, giving you better recoil at the cost of faster overheating or something. Also, your end-of-match credit drop has only like 20% of the rate related to your performance in-game. The rest is based entirely on how long you played....meaning that a quick win actually nets you fewer overall credits (not sure if it's more efficient, though).

2. The matchmaking sucks. You're matched against people who have a ton more stuff unlocked, and who can end up being WAY better, which just makes the game no fun. There's also no team scramble at the end of each round, so if a round starts off unbalanced, it'll probably stay that way. You repeat each map twice for modes like Starfighter Assault and Galactic Assault, and, I think, Strike. Not sure on blast or HvV. But this means that when one team steamrolls the other, it's gonna happen twice. It also means that you can end up spending a LOT of time on each map, if the match goes the whole round.

3. The game is really newbie-unfriendly, when set up like this. It's manageable now, because everyone's still learning the maps, but there is a noticeable difference in performance when you have cards, and then when you upgrade them or pull upgraded versions from the crates. For the most part, the crates are the only way to get cards, almost all of which directly improve your performance. Only a handful are "sidegrades." I still don't like the sidegrades, but I like them alot better than the cards that do stuff like say "Your health recharges 30% faster" or whatever. Unfortunately, the sidegrade cards make up a small fraction of the total. Most just make your in-game avatar perform better. The only other crates you get are the daily crate -- which may give you NO cards and which has happened to me twice already -- or from a couple of the task rewards for specific classes.

4. This is less of a true "problem," but right now, it makes a lot more sense to buy hero or starfighter crates. They're just over half the price of a trooper crate, but the drop rate for all of the crates as far as cards goes makes it so that you're just as likely to end up with a bunch of useless hero emotes from a starfighter crate as you are to get actual starfighter cards. Or your hero crate might still end up dropping a trooper card. It's a total crapshoot as to how well you do with each crate, too. I've gotten really good ones with like 5 cards including two upgrades ones, or I've gotten three-card crates that had mostly crap. The randomness of the crates is NOT fun, and it's absolutely "gambling" even with just in-game credits (to say nothing of when they let you buy crystals for star cards).

5. In my opinion, heroes are way, way too expensive. The really fun ones cost anywhere between 5000 and 8000 battle points. It's possible to get that, and I usually see at least one or two people running heroes in a given match, but it makes them a lot less common. The hero spawning system also kinda sucks in that you might have accumulated a ton of battlepoints in a round, but because someone is playing really cautiously with their hero, you're never gonna get the chance to play as one outside of HvV. I would almost prefer the game to just randomly select someone who has accumulated the required battlepoints and give them the option to spawn in as a hero. Like "You've gotten enough battlepoints to play as a hero! Accept?" and then you just pick which one for your side.

All that aside, the core gameplay can be really, really awesome. I see a ton of potential for this game. It could be truly amazing, if not of a lot of this stuff, which is I think why peopel are really hammering it in reviews. So many of the problems tie directly back to the stupid pay-2-win system that they implemented, and merely removing that part hasn't solved the bulk of them. But it can get better, and I really hope it does. There's a great game struggling to get out from underneath all of this.

this post is dead on. After playing for a couple days the managing of the micro currencies is easy— but everything in the post is accurate.

when I’m not getting constantly killed, the game is pretty fun to look at and play.

The last few days I have gotten star cards in the daily crate. Before that it was like 200 credits and 10 crafting parts.
I totally agree with the expense of trying to play with a hero. I think there should be a way for everyone to try to get a chance to be a hero and not just those people who score alot of points. It's too bad they didn't continue how they did it for BF1.

I don’t mind that because it forces people to stay on objective. In the last game it seems like any and every mode just turned into a kill contest. This way between shifting objectives and battle points the modes are actually different.

BF1 never really rewarded anyone for teamwork, just mayhem and being on the winning team.

I saw a headline this morning stating BF2 physical sales were down 60 percent from BF1.

BF1 never really rewarded anyone for teamwork, just mayhem and being on the winning team.

I saw a headline this morning stating BF2 physical sales were down 60 percent from BF1.

To me this does not mean anything, a huge percentage of PC sales are online codes/downloads now a days.

I'm a very casual gamer but was always awe struck by the graphics quality of BF1.

Having played BF1 and after playing BF2, I REALLY enjoyed the Campaign more than anything.
It reminded me of the original 2001 BF.

I like BF2 much more than BF1 for that reason and hope they add more offline play
capability modes to Arcade.

Battlefront 2. I definitely have a love hate relationship with it right now. I love the look and it's better than the first one in that regard. However, it's an annoying ass bitch to play. Getting popped by some level 26 jake-leg 2 seconds after I spawn in is annoying as hell.

Even worse is having to wait up to 10 seconds just to spawn in. I love seeing objectives time out while I'm sitting there waiting to play - and again get capped within a second or two.

And the ****-ant amount of credits I get for playing is also aggravating as heck.

To me this does not mean anything, a huge percentage of PC sales are online codes/downloads now a days.

That big a drop, though, isn't due strictly to the digital sales. EA will spin it that way, but they're rattled, and for good reason. The press continues to be bad about this game, and it's almost entirely about the game's economy/progression. It's just a terrible system that's getting in the way of what seems to me to be an otherwise great game.

I'm amused and pissed simultaneously right now. First, I had already seen how Disney had told EA to kill the microtransactions because they didn't like the bad press it was getting, so when I then saw EA's "we're doing this because we listen to the gamers" announcement, I LOL'ed.

Second... *sigh* ...Dammit, Pablo. Remember when they said that everything that comes out after the Big Canon Reset™ will be as canon as the films? And that included the main campaign storyline for the video games? Well, not only is the anthology "From A Certain Point of View" not actually canon after all, but now he's said that the main story for BF2 isn't either. So 1) what's the frikkin' point, then, if you're just going ot have another unofficial EU anyway, and 2) so now it's not worth even playing for the four-hour (!) main story -- and after I'd gotten tacitly intrigued by the possibilities presented therein. Blah.

--Jonah

I'm amused and pissed simultaneously right now. First, I had already seen how Disney had told EA to kill the microtransactions because they didn't like the bad press it was getting, so when I then saw EA's "we're doing this because we listen to the gamers" announcement, I LOL'ed.

Second... *sigh* ...Dammit, Pablo. Remember when they said that everything that comes out after the Big Canon Reset™ will be as canon as the films? And that included the main campaign storyline for the video games? Well, not only is the anthology "From A Certain Point of View" not actually canon after all, but now he's said that the main story for BF2 isn't either. So 1) what's the frikkin' point, then, if you're just going ot have another unofficial EU anyway, and 2) so now it's not worth even playing for the four-hour (!) main story -- and after I'd gotten tacitly intrigued by the possibilities presented therein. Blah.

--Jonah

Where did he say that? ESPECIALLY since someone official said play the free DLC campaign mission coming out in Dec AFTER you see TLJ

Is this where he says "Sometimes games are games"?

Pablo is hella sarcastic especially on Twitter where people constantly ask him canon questions. Everyone else has said the campaign is canon.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back