Star Wars: Battlefront 2 (DICE)

Well by all accounts, from various interviews and board meetings, EA has found it's cash cow and it's going to milk it. I think single player DLC content from a lot of companies is going to go bye bye now. GTA 5 was supposed to get story DLC, but they were making so much money with GTA Online they concentrated on that instead. I really hope Lucasfilm hasn't completely hitched it's game trailer to EA and will let other people in on it.

PLEASE Don't pre-order/purchase this. EA has reach "ludicrous speed" with it's cash-grabbing motives.
Reading some of the comments by the CEO, and responses by the Devs on the various sites/Twitter/Reddit... Is just saddening.
Lootcrates being tied to leveling; Heroes being behind paygates. The pure definition of Pay-to-Win at its heart.
The ONLY good thing was no more season passes so they don't "fracture" their playerbase as it did with SWBF1... These other issues are going to do worse.
As of this moment their most "interesting" Dev response on Reddit is sitting at -358k and still falling... (https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBa...vader_locked/dppum98/?st=j9y0flrh&sh=787f8b98)
Their spin machine is in full effect...
I was really looking forward to purchasing two copies for myself and my son, as we did with SWBF1. Playing coop, Hero vs Hero, or even PvP on different teams was a lot of fun.
But with everything I've read, I just have to say no this time around. Character Skins and cosmetic items are one thing, but being able to purchase heroes right out of the gate (on top of all of the other gear you'd be able to get from the lootcrates) is over the line.

PLEASE, tell EA that enough is enough by not purchasing Battlefront 2!

Last edited:
Update on the growing backlash from fans:
http://bit.ly/2ABXneA

EA has responded to the absurd in-game paywall on certain heroes, such as Luke and Vader. Originally, Vader and Luke were 60,000 credits each, equating roughly 40 hours of playtime. EA has reduced this amount by 75%, bringing it down to 15,000 credits each.

This is a small victory, but the community is still pushing for change with the loot crate and pay to win system. There will be an AMA with EA on Wednesday...hopefully they'll continue to hear our concerns and make more changes.

Well, the ultimate question is how good will the game be in spite of the pay to play aspects?
That pay to play BS hasn’t stopped me from playing BF4 or other games (Destiny 2) that have pay aspects.

I just got Garden Warfare 2 for $8 and I thought it was very cute and had pretty good multiplayer as well.

Truth is, I’m a casual gamer and I have a hard enough time keeping up with the no-life having teeangers that put in 12 hours a day to the point I’d buy in anyway.

Aside from having to unlock heroes, how is this really different from the last game?

That's what's driving me nuts about this... The gameplay is AWESOME! Definitely better than SWBF1. The visuals are better than the first one as well... not that it was any slouch, Endor was fantastic.
The character advancement being tied to the lootcrates is not good either.
Still so torn about purchasing this.

So, I preordered from Amazon, but didn’t realize it was an online code only. Any thoughts on this - what are the drawbacks to just having to download/code access versus having the game disk?

Should I cancel and wait for an actual disk?

thanks,
Dave

Update on the growing backlash from fans:
http://bit.ly/2ABXneA

EA has responded to the absurd in-game paywall on certain heroes, such as Luke and Vader. Originally, Vader and Luke were 60,000 credits each, equating roughly 40 hours of playtime. EA has reduced this amount by 75%, bringing it down to 15,000 credits each.

This is a small victory, but the community is still pushing for change with the loot crate and pay to win system. There will be an AMA with EA on Wednesday...hopefully they'll continue to hear our concerns and make more changes.

At the same time they reduced the amount of credits you receive for completing missions, making it pointless. I won't be going near this game!

So, I preordered from Amazon, but didn’t realize it was an online code only. Any thoughts on this - what are the drawbacks to just having to download/code access versus having the game disk?

thanks,
Dave

I used to be a "disc only" guy with my games, until I got the digital download for Halo 5. Not having to get up off my fat ***** to change games is amazing.

SB

thanks,
Dave

The usual factor would be your internet connection. It's likely a 50GB download, if not more. Plus, if you're going day 1, the servers will be slower.

Gamewise, there's no difference. There's a 99% chance you'll have a big download off the bat if you had a disc anyhow. They always patch to the last second and well after the fact.

Personally, i think you get a little bit extra for your money with the disk. You get a box and disk. Yet, they charge exactly the same thing. So you can look at it as overpaying for the download or underpaying for the disk i guess :)

I pre-ordered (XBone), so I checked out the early release late last night, and just couldn't put it down. I played through a good chunk of the campaign, and it is stellar! It looks and plays beautifully, and the story is great as well. For those who were disappointed with the previous game, especially the lack of single-player campaign, this delivers in spades. As a veteran game developer, I am very impressed with the production values here.

I played one match of the galactic assault multi-player, on Tatooine, and this felt a lot better than the previous game as well.

Despite all the loot-crate P2W controversy, this is looking like a very happy purchase for me so far. My only complaint so far would be some long load times, but they were infrequent, and given how fantastic the game looks, to be expected.

BTW, digital pre-orders got a 2 week window to download the game before it went live, so there was no waiting at all last night.

23550278_1788843914493829_7009973771681820073_o.jpg

I used to be a "disc only" guy with my games, until I got the digital download for Halo 5. Not having to get up off my fat ***** to change games is amazing.

SB

Same here. I started using Steam, Origin, and GOG. The absolute worst download for me was GTA 5, which is 72GB! My connection is about 30mbps, so it takes a while.

I'm probably going to wait until around Christmas to get it, if only for the campaign. It seems like EA is pretty set on fleecing everyone for money so I'm not sure whether they will fix this or go full a-hole. :lol

Seeing all these new stories on YouTube! Can’t believe I totally over looked this thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PLEASE Don't pre-order/purchase this. EA has reach "ludicrous speed" with it's cash-grabbing motives.
Reading some of the comments by the CEO, and responses by the Devs on the various sites/Twitter/Reddit... Is just saddening.
Lootcrates being tied to leveling; Heroes being behind paygates. The pure definition of Pay-to-Win at its heart.
The ONLY good thing was no more season passes so they don't "fracture" their playerbase as it did with SWBF1... These other issues are going to do worse.
As of this moment their most "interesting" Dev response on Reddit is sitting at -358k and still falling... (https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBa...vader_locked/dppum98/?st=j9y0flrh&sh=787f8b98)
Their spin machine is in full effect...
I was really looking forward to purchasing two copies for myself and my son, as we did with SWBF1. Playing coop, Hero vs Hero, or even PvP on different teams was a lot of fun.
But with everything I've read, I just have to say no this time around. Character Skins and cosmetic items are one thing, but being able to purchase heroes right out of the gate (on top of all of the other gear you'd be able to get from the lootcrates) is over the line.

PLEASE, tell EA that enough is enough by not purchasing Battlefront 2!

Too late, purchased Battlefront 2 twelve years ago

So, I preordered from Amazon, but didn’t realize it was an online code only. Any thoughts on this

Never pre-order

This is a stupid question, but I’ve read about how it takes 40 hours to unlock a hero. I know it has been patched recently and now takes less time, but what is meant by that? Does it mean you credits now carry over between games and it takes that long to buy the character in a round? Or does it mean you have to pay an initial amount of credits to unlock a character to be able to play as him/her, then in every game you can now spend credits from that game to play as the hero until you die?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back