Star Wars: Battlefront 2 (DICE)

Any tips you can offer someone who just started last night? I'm finding two noticeable things:

1. In Starfighter Assault, I have a devil of a time escaping a pursuing enemy. That includes shaking missile locks. I tend to end up only getting, like, 2-3 kills, although I'll get objective points and assists. I'm less focused on kills, but I do find that I rarely score outside of the middle of the pack. Also, have you seen the Rebels win this yet?

2. In Galactic Assault, I spend a LOT of time running. It feels like it takes me a while to even find targets, and usually I end up being found (and killed) first. Is that just about learning the map, or are the spawns really that far away?

If you have specific questions, I'm happy to answer them.

Thanks Dan,
Your explanation of the game so far is great, since I don't have internet access (except through my phone) the PS4 and newer games are not an option for me. If it was an AMAZING game experience I would likely get a system and connection but so far...I can wait.

Thanks Dan,
Your explanation of the game so far is great, since I don't have internet access (except through my phone) the PS4 and newer games are not an option for me. If it was an AMAZING game experience I would likely get a system and connection but so far...I can wait.

No problem. I'll say this: it's a marked improvement, for the most part, over the previous beta. The old Beta had Drop Pod, and Walker Assault on Hoth. Walker Assault was woefully unbalanced, and the Rebels never won. Drop pod was boring, on Sullust. Fighter Squadron wasn't even in the beta, as I recall. This is a much better presentation, and I think the core mechanics are much improved. There's still a lot to get used to, though. I'll keep you guys posted on my experiences otherwise.

bummed about the Starfighter changes because I LOVE Fighter Squadron and the mechanics in place. All I wished for was that style combat with some real missions, but oh well.

You may still like it. I mean, check out the beta today. It should be publicly available. It'll run for a week, I believe.

You can actually turn off "roll" which should make the flight portion the same as before, you'll just lose a little maneuverability compared to those who can take advantage of the roll function.

The fighters are a lot more interesting now, too.

And it's not like there's zero ability to hit your target. They give you a targeting reticle where you ought to aim for. It's a little circle that changes from red to orange to white to indicate your probability of hitting at your current range, and shows roughly where to aim to lead your target. The zoom does not appear to be on cooldown so far, so you can use that to aim a little closer.

Started downloading the public beta this morning...all 22gb of it.
It's available to play until Monday.

My understanding is they will offer more modes/maps as each day progresses.

I've been playing since the first day of release and yea they haven't released anything different from what Dan has been commenting on. The only thing new every day is that you get to open a new crate.

First impressions:

Starfighter:
Maneuverability ramped WAY down. C'mon, baby, turn!
Interceptor lasers overheat in 0.015 seconds.
No cooldown or health pickups?
This was a problem in the first game, but the capital ships are scaled too small. When I try to get as close as I should be able to, I collide, because the space between me and the hull is a lot smaller than I think it is.

Galactic Assault:
I'm not sure how well the forced teaming is going to work. Sure, if you have invited a bunch of buds to a party over headset. But randomly get four teammates and you're promised bonus points for sticking together...well nobody knows what anyone else wants to do, and there's no leader or communication, so yeah, we're all going to run and gun like we always have.
I can't see the bloody targets! Those spindly droids are great camouflage by design as it is, but they're the same colors as the naboo buildings, and I cannot see the damn things. Which might be realistic, but not very fun. I'm not having much better luck seeing the troopers either. I guess with each generation of games, the basic assumption of screen size goes up and up. My 27" isn't cutting it.
When the MTT is destroyed, you don't really get to see it happen in-engine. When it receives its kill shot, it looks just fine while VICTORY is displayed, and then a cutscene shows it blowing up. Lame.

That reminds me of a wish I've had since the first game: damage should accumulate visually. And not just some black dots or smoke. The vehicle should start to look F'ed up, and its performance should suffer. Don't tell me a vehicle that's one shot away from going kablooey is just as fast and maneuverable as when it came off the assembly line. It's like the TNG "15 seconds to fatal exposure". I always wondered why those thin little ankle rods on the AT-AT wasn't considered its weakest point.

End-of-round stats seem to be messed up. I know I'm not doing great, but I got more than one kill. It's like it's only counting since the last respawn.

I don't care to play online. I hear this one has a story mode, which is all I would care about. Is it worth it, or is that just a side extra feature compared to the multiplayer?
It sure looks nice however.

eeesh. Just read a few summaries of what 'Arcade' is going to actually entail. Massive. Letdown. I mean like 'so, they said they were listening to the criticism they were receiving, and, hey! We're adding offline co-op!!! but it will only be 10 on 10 mini-scenarios" kind of letdown. So massive I'm thinking of cancelling my pre-order. BOOOOOO!!!!

So I've been playing for two days now, and it's a bit of a mixed bag for me. I am one of the few who loved (still do) the first game and still play it often (currently sitting at level 85), so I was really jazzed for this game, and I know, I know: this is only the beta. I get that.

The game gets old fast. I know it's "just the beta," but I wish there were more game modes available. I am tired of Maz's castle already. I like the whole spawning in groups thing, but I hate having to wait the five seconds if there isn't a group to spawn with you. And then when there is a full group, it takes even longer to spawn as a result of the silly animation and text telling you that your squad is full. Just get me back into the freaking game already! Make it three seconds or something.

I like the game points aspect of it, how you can get stronger characters by playing better. Feels like the old BFII (2005). I'm still getting used to how different the game "feels" though. I still like (am used to?) the feel of the first game. Maybe it's because the First Order stormies don't really feel like stormies to me yet. Maybe I'll get used to them. Maybe.

I like the different classes. I like how you can customize their star cards and use the various classes for differing scenarios throughout the game. Again, feels like BFII.

I really wanted to love this game, but right now I think I just like it.

SB

EDIT: And one more thing: I don't really mind the microtransactions in order to get more star cards. I play Halo 5, and their Req Points system is similar, and I've gotten used to that, so this won't be a problem.

Last edited:
It seems most in this thread aren't enjoying it...I for one am LOVING it! I never got the first one because of all the bad things I heard about it, but this beta has been a total blast.

I've spent pretty much all my time playing Strike and Starfighter Assault, since I do not enjoy Galactic Assault at all. The map is just too big and it's really difficult to find/kill the enemies until you get to the palace. I also don't like that everyone just does their own thing instead of working as a team.

That's something I think Strike does really well, because the map is much smaller and the objective is extremely straightforward. I often find myself surrounded by my team as we try to fend off the FO or defend the artifact carrier. I also am in love with the FO stormtrooper design so I can't stop geeking out when I run around as one. I'm not even good - I usually lose most firefights I get into, but for some reason I think it's still a lot of fun.

I also am enjoying Starfighter Assault, mainly because I'm pretty good at it. It's so thrilling to zoom around in a TIE fighter or X-wing and pick off enemies one by one. I admit, the fact that it's super hard to shake an enemy/locked missile pissed me off at first, but the more I played the better I got at it. You just have to make a lot of random left/right up/down wide turns, while rolling. I like that their's a bunch of AI ships because it makes it feel like a real in-universe battle, as opposed to just a few ships flying around. I can't wait to play on the other maps.

I tried the Arcade mode, but it was super disappointing. I wanted a solo survival-styled game mode in which you fight waves of increasingly difficult enemies, but all we've got is a challenge mode where you have to kill 25 enemies as quickly as possible. I really hope the final game has an Arcade mode more in line with the former.

Overall, I'm pretty please with this beta and I am very excited to see what the full game will include.

How lovely it's pay to win system in place. Buy all the upgrades out the gate. This way you can find rare cards more often than normal players. They just killed their game before it is even released.

How lovely it's pay to win system in place. Buy all the upgrades out the gate. This way you can find rare cards more often than normal players. They just killed their game before it is even released.

That's why I never, EVER preorder a game! I'll wait to see how broken it is.

If the balance it correctly, it's not going to help them much. Usually the pay stuff is gun parts or skins. The people who are already good aren't going to need it. It's like in BF4 (last MP game I played) people started buying that stuff and still got wrecked online. They thought having a new weapon with a fancy sight would make them pros or something.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back