Star Wars: Battlefront 2 (DICE)

I get it because of the times we're in but I still feel it worth saying: having women Imperials kinda misses the thematic point of the original films of not having them.

What theme? That there were only like 4 women in the galaxy? Princess Leia, Aunt Beru, that woman at Echo base and Mon Mothma. :facepalm

The female Rebel pilots in ROTJ all were cut, except for the one that was turned into a man. :lol

I can't believe I have to spell this out to the class but the fact that the Empire is depicted with only men makes the Empire seem not just lacking in diversity but thematically shows how colder, sterile, uncaring, and that much more oppressive it is. Even with the few different faces within the Rebellion, that separates them and contrasts them that much more from the Empire. On a brainier, literate level, it follows classic motifs (which the OT is all about) of women representing life and fertility and men representing power and dominance.

If you think this is just me looking for subtext and wasn't an intentional choice made by the filmmaker, Irvin Kershner addresses this in the film commentary as a choice he specifically made in Empire. For how often the OT is looked at as a "modern myth" and lauded for following the classic themes and archetypes of pre-Darwinian storytelling, it seems in recent times to get pushed aside more often than not just for the sake of that particular writer's ideas.

Last edited:
I can't believe I have to spell this out to the class but the fact that the Empire is depicted with only men makes the Empire seem not just lacking in diversity but thematically shows how colder, sterile, uncaring, and that much more oppressive it is.

Agree completely, I always assumed the Empire was filled with a bunch of sexist and racist/speciesist space Nazis.

However, in this case with the female lead in Battlefront, I'm not too bothered by it. I imagine that due to her being some kind of special ops trooper, perhaps there is something special enough about her where the Empire made an exception to their only men rule. I remember the EU explained something similar about Grand Admiral Thrawn that his military genius was valuable enough for Palpatine to make an exception to their only humans rule.

On another note, Theed is beautiful and the videos actually made me a bit nostalgic for the prequels, yet I'm disappointed you still cannot directly jump into or land a ship on the ground like the original 2005 Battlefront.

On another note, Theed is beautiful and the videos actually made me a bit nostalgic for the prequels, yet I'm disappointed you still cannot directly jump into or land a ship on the ground like the original 2005 Battlefront.
This is what will probably keep me from buying the game. In the original Battlefront II, that made the game so immersive, especially when you could land on the enemy capital ship and sabotage it from within.

Having ships as powerups is just ridiculous and takes me right out of the game.

What theme? That there were only like 4 women in the galaxy? Princess Leia, Aunt Beru, that woman at Echo base and Mon Mothma. :facepalm

The female Rebel pilots in ROTJ all were cut, except for the one that was turned into a man. :lol

That made me think of the Family Guy ROTJ episode where Han says "Hey look another woman!" when Mon Mothma enters and Leia says "I don't like her..." :lol

I'm wondering if the lack of women in the Empire was intentional by Lucas? I've never heard one way or the other. I think a lot of people believe the Empire banned women because the old EU made up a lot of stuff to explain them missing from the movies.

I can't believe I have to spell this out to the class but the fact that the Empire is depicted with only men makes the Empire seem not just lacking in diversity but thematically shows how colder, sterile, uncaring, and that much more oppressive it is. Even with the few different faces within the Rebellion, that separates them and contrasts them that much more from the Empire. On a brainier, literate level, it follows classic motifs (which the OT is all about) of women representing life and fertility and men representing power and dominance.

If you think this is just me looking for subtext and wasn't an intentional choice made by the filmmaker, Irvin Kershner addresses this in the film commentary as a choice he specifically made in Empire. For how often the OT is looked at as a "modern myth" and lauded for following the classic themes and archetypes of pre-Darwinian storytelling, it seems in recent times to get pushed aside more often than not just for the sake of that particular writer's ideas.

And my point still stands. There were like 4 women in the OT period. I think only 3 had speaking roles. There was one black man and a whole lot of people that looked like George Lucas. Period, end of story. With only 3 Rebel women to contrast against (sure that's 3/4 of the Galaxies women), the theme is weak to nonexistent.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if the lack of women in the Empire was intentional by Lucas? I've never heard one way or the other. I think a lot of people believe the Empire banned women because the old EU made up a lot of stuff to explain them missing from the movies.

The Rebellion aren't much better. If you watch A New Hope and Empire back to back, this 'galactic fight to restore freedom to the galaxy' is pretty much limited to **** sapien males vs. **** sapien males. We only see ONE unnamed female rebellion operative and she only has five words of dialogue. Two movies and that is it. And that's not even getting into the alien territory. Aliens are all restricted to bar patrons, junk handlers, ice cube makers and mindless monsters.

ROTJ finally made this galactic civil war feel like it was really galactic with it's inclusion of aliens fighting with the Rebellion. Looking back, I'm still surprised how much screen time Admiral Ackbar got. And despite the fact that we see more women in the rebellion, ROTJ's execution is pretty bad. Of all the speakers in the Alliance meeting, Mon Mothma is the only high ranking leader who never gets introduced by name even though everyone else does. You have Admiral Ackbar, General Madine, General Solo and "Ding ding. Ding ding." And what is undoubtably the most unfortunate part of ROTJ's handling of women in the Rebellion was taking a female A-Wing pilot and dubbing her voice with a male voice. To add insult to injury, this pilot is shot down in the very next shot.

And my point still stands. There were like 4 women in the OT period. I think only 3 had speaking roles. There was one black man and a whole lot of people that looked like George Lucas. Period, end of story...

Yep, you're right. Nevermind, I'm wrong. Your point stands. Star Wars OT has no women whatsoever, even in my recent viewings...nevermind the women in ANH at the cantina, or in Echo Base, or Jabba's Palace...Yes, Star Wars is a boy's club only and any incidental character needs to be paraded on-screen with lines to be actually in the film and themes to be resonant.:rolleyes

And because this conversation is heading there and to nip it in the bud: You've proven to me that you're open-minded and not a sexist nor racist and we need to go back to the old films and correct all that's wrong with them to make these things more apparent. We need more films like Rouge One and its sequels needs to be even more diverse for diversity sake.

Last edited:

Ah my apologies, my eyes totally skipped over the Imperial part of your statement.

Although that may have been the original choice of Kershner I don't think it is a big deal to include Imperial women in newer canon. It has been included for a long time in EU and such and really just allows for expanded story telling.

If I might dare bring up the game at this point... ;)

Things I hope they fix (in addition to things already mentioned):

-starship AI pickups (y-wings, etc) that crash into the environment immediately after spawning

-different control parameters and bounding box sizes around objects between starfighter missions and "normal" missions that put you in a starfighter via a pickup

-being put into a game less than a minute before it ends

-really long time to exit the stats screen AFTER the game. The game's over, what the hell are you loading?

-the diorama. What a waste of coding. Completely pointless.

-lack of ability to speak to and hear everyone on your side who's on a headset. Not just your own list of friends you invited to your own party.

-annoying and out-of-universe customization emotes. The "open a blast door" and "that just happened" and bad tusken raider honks, etc... they are not funny, and make waiting for the game to start sheer torture as everyone cycles through these things thinking they're a hoot. People...you're not.

(more as I think of them)

Last edited:
Speaking of being pro women, check out Janina Gavankar, who plays the female Imperial in the trailer. She has a nice blue dress... http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1232470/?ref_=tt_cl_t1

I've only played the first game on my nephew's Xbox One, but I hope they fix the starfighter combat. I've played Battlefield 3 and 4 on PC and it was much easier to fly jets, even though they were difficult. I had trouble finding the enemy ships in Battlefront. My nephew has paid more attention to all the E3 news and he said there are some better flight aids in the HUD now to make it easier to fly.

I really like to see people involved with stuff like this that are genuine fans/gamers! There are celebrities that do this stuff and say they're big fans and you doubt. She was obviously a fan and very happy to do the game because of how emotional she got.

I've only seen a couple of videos of the game and it looks like the flying is already a lot better than the first. That was one of my main complaints. I do have to say I played with a Xbox One controller so that might have had something to do with it.

I saw a brief clip of a presentation at E3 (possibly on the Star Wars Show, I don't remember), where the guy said they had gotten a lot of compliments on the first one, and a lot of "(dramatic pause) constructive criticism". He then goes on to mention a couple of later expansions of B2 that will be released free of charge.

So it sounds like they're listening.

They said they noticed that "everyone plays the same" and that that wasn't their intent. Apparently they'd anticipated more strategic allocation of roles (you be a sniper, I'll be infantry, etc). So that they're baking that in somehow on this one.

This all sounds good, and a damnsight better than what DICE usually does with their games (which is to simply reiterate what came before while providing crap QA on an ongoing basis).

My hopes for the next game:

- Customized playlists. Let me pick the maps I want to play in the order I want to play them. Then just shuffle me to those maps.
- Better parties on consoles.
- Voice comms with your whole team IF YOU WANT or only with your squad. Up to you.
- No more vehicle tokens. Give me real vehicles.
- Actual classes. You can allow flexibility within them, but classes are good. They're essential to the rock-paper-scissors of these kinds of games.
- NO MORE STUPID UNLOCKS. You want to tie unlocks to my rank or whatever, fine. But ENOUGH with making me do ******* tasks over and over again to get an unlock. I shouldn't have to do 8 base defenses to get access to this or that weapon. That's just dumb. Tie it to my rank and be done with it. Unlocks are highly overrated anyway.
- Better flying. Personally, I'd lock everyone into the cockpit view instead of third person view. Or if you allow third person view, ditch the targeting reticle. Old school, baby.
- SINGLE PLAYER. I can still fire up the original Battlefront 2 and play it if I want. I can do a whole campaign against dumb bots where I play conquest in this or that era. I can play a single map if I want. I don't need other players to do this. Give me that.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back