WIP - 9ft Tall Iron Giant Costume - lots of pics & videos!

You know Indie,one day she will return your request and tell you to do it yourself :lol
Doesn't that worry you?

She complains about it, but I think she secretly likes it. :)

-------------------

Sorry I've been away for a bit, I've been working up a rough pep that I can use for scaling the next big section (the Chest). This is just to get the size right (about 3ft wide at the shoulders).

The Plan:
My idea was to start with the lower legs (basically the stilt area). Once I'd mostly finished that, I'd move to the Chest. That might not seem linear, but these two areas are the 'anchors' for the whole costume. The stilt area must work perfectly and the chest is a monstrous piece that holds up the entire upper part of the suit. These both have to be done before I can 'connect' them in the middle with the Torso, Waist/Hips and Upper Leg sections. In fact, these sections will likely be heavily modified based on how the lower leg and chest are constructed. So, that's a bit of the backstory on why I'm hopping from Lower Legs all the way to the Chest.

This is not a small pep. I took a very low-poly model I found, and unfolded it. It was too big for Letter size paper, so I created and printed it on 11x17. The rough shape of the chest took FIFTY pages of 11x17 card stock to make it up. Here is an early pep work pics (lower chest section):
35810761616_a9657d5ea9_z.jpg

... and a bit more done.
35851326545_b3c63c3395.jpg

I haven't added the rest of the upper chest section yet (or the back pieces), but this is the structural section of the pep.

My goal is to finish this up and get it on the model I have on stilts to verify that the scale is going to work... then I can begin working it up in foam.

Awesome progress,Indie,but HOLY COWL ~ 50 pages!
At least you won't have to worry about not being able to get into the chest.Glad you found the model,eventhough it's low poly.
Keep the momentum :thumbsup

shame on you employing child labour :lol i get why, sometimes you need to see what you have built on someone to get a different view. build is looking great

Re: WIP - 9ft Tall Iron Giant Costume - lots of pics & videos!

stilts done. 1.10m, havent tried standing, sitting is giving me the chills.
IMG_9763.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

stilts done. 1.10m, havent tried standing, sitting is giving me the chills.
IMG_9763.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9765.JPG
    IMG_9765.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 199

Sorry for late reply, I ve been busy irl. Around 3,5kg each. Next week, learning to stand still and the week after walking ( hopefully )

Is this project on hold now that you're working on baby groot?

You guessed it, George! This one is on a minor break as I race to get a couple Halloween costumes done for the kiddos! My 7yr old Daughter wasn't to be Baby Groot from GotG2 and my 9yr son, wants to be Falcon from Civil War. So, I'll try to get those done in the next 8 weeks and then get back to my Iron Giant build! :)

Thanks!

Was also interested in falcon for my kid.

- - - Updated - - -

Was also interested in falcon for my kid.

I'm looking forward to diving back into this build now that Halloween and the Christmas Holiday season is coming to an end!

For those that didn't already catch these, I built a Baby Groot costume for my 7yr old daughter and Falcon (with folding wings) for my 9yr old son.

I'm starting on the Chest piece construction - and that begins with a supporting frame. Here's what I have working currently:

39263136381_e126e3fe38.jpg

27487443809_3b81b9de45.jpg

24400893227_5e1707931a.jpg

Last edited:
Not a lot of progress... but I wanted to update everyone.

First thing that I had deal with is 'adjusting' my life-size model. The arms were stuck-out at the sides and that made fitting the chest section nearly impossible. So, I carefully cut off my buddy's arms (his mannequin's arms).

41327120534_4e555d50fa_z.jpg

Then I sliced up the arms and re-attached them with eye-hooks and bungy cord.
41147308625_814de3bd29.jpg

That allows me to move them a bit when necessary.
42003187822_eee0451ee8.jpg
42003186442_329830df39.jpg

After getting that done, I started work on the chest... I started with the rough shape of the front of the chest plate. And to get the scale right, I had to build the cylinder section of the torso.
41147310035_684acc6c9b_z.jpg

Here is a look at the beginnings of this piece on the mannequin.
41327098904_2a0ea3e582.jpg
27177213527_66d1324a98.jpg

I haven't yet tackled the rest of the chest, as I began working on the lower section of the torso. Above you can see the lip of foam that I used to build the next piece. Here is a look at the connection point and the hot glue re-enforcing I normally do over the seams.
28173962438_b9a57219d4.jpg

Here is what that wider section looks like now...
41147293295_a718f1c3c5.jpg

And here is that next section with the partial chest piece so you can start to see how the chest and torso will sit (the chest 'floating' over the torso).
28173958178_86894b4078.jpg

"More progress to report! Here is a look at the plan I had for mounting the EVA foam feet on the stilts:"

How did you mount the feet of the stilt to the plate and the bottom of the foam?
Another plate or large washers.

How did you mount the feet of the stilt to the plate and the bottom of the foam?
Another plate or large washers.

Large Washers on the underside (so the foam doesn't rip out). Most of that detail can be found in this POST.

Sorry for the delay on updated again. I'm in the middle of building a 8ft tall Fel Reaver Cosplay for my 17yr old. So, once again, the ole Iron Giant build has been put on the back burner. :(

Thanks, for the update. I thought about this and decided to make a wooden plate and split it so it looks like a heel and toe plate.
I am in the middle of making an Ice Giant. I will be about 10 -11 feet tall, and need more of stable base. I have the boots and thigh armor done, But am thinking I need more chest armor to balance out the large thigh armor.
This never seems to end. UGH!!!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back