'Major's Thermoptic Pistol' (2017) Ghost in the Shell (COMPLETE! pg 4) **PIC HEAVY**

Re: 'Major's Thermoptic Pistol' (2017) Ghost in the Shell (W.I.P.) **PIC HEAVY**

I think the bottom dot thing is a bit higher ? Or is it just me? Great work Jay!

Hey, great job Jay, I'm just agreing with what Razorwing said, the lower round thing is a bit higher on the used prop and the part around it has a uniform distance all around the central dot.
I would also point to the fact that you are actually now doing a mixed version of the live firing prop and the hero prop. The reference you showed from the front is of the live firing one and they are actually quite different. I think your 3D model was a bit closer to the hero prop even if not totally correct either.
Always difficult to do a replica of a prop with several version.
The result is really nice nonetheless and I hope you'll not take harshly what I'm saying :thumbsup
keep up the good work Jay, It's coming along nicelly and I'm looking forward to see what you'll do with a transparent version. :)

Re: 'Major's Thermoptic Pistol' (2017) Ghost in the Shell (W.I.P.) **PIC HEAVY**

Sorry for the lack of posting this past week, been getting a lot done in terms of prep for this and other projects. Anyway's...

I wasn't too happy with my reconfiguration with the front section of the gun. I did it by eye and i really should have done what I've now ended up doing, creating a template/outline of the shapes i need, transfer them to the gun and then remove the materiel.

29.jpg
With the template made I filled in the base section and smoothed it out ready to draw on the new markings using the templates. In the 2nd picture you can see after I've done the marking and etched away the materiel for the new shape. Much more balance, i really should have done this from the beginning. Just needs a bit of clean up and then onto preparing the final surfaces in preparation for molding.

30.jpg

Last edited:

Nice! looking forward to see the molding prep. keep up the good work :thumbsup

So, here it is, baring a few tweaks before I get it ready for molding and casting, the shell of the gun is ready! So very happy with how its come out. All of the grey sections will be clear resin when cast and the whit sections will be the sandy/cream color of the original. Right, time to build some molds!!!

31.jpg
32.jpg
33.jpg
34.jpg

Last edited:

I'm drooling over this pistol! The template you made for the detail around barrel adds a great level of detail.

Very nice, looking forward to see the clear casting! :thumbsup

I can't resist throwing my hat in the ring for one as well. It looks fantastic, man.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Once again, I've fallen behind with my posts, i was working so hard on getting this finished i forgot to post my progress. Thankfully, I was still taking photos so here we go...

So, its mold making time! I've blocked out the mold halves using a sulfur free Plasticine, its my personal preference for molds like this. And of course for the mold walls i used trust old foam core.

35.jpg
36.jpg
37.jpg
38.jpg
39.jpg
40.jpg

For the smaller detail parts that fit onto the grip, i simply created a small raised box around the parts in 3DS max and printed it as 1 part. It came out perfect for what it needed to be, just a tiny little mold that i can pout the silicone straight into. Speaking of Silicone, its time to mix and pour!

41.jpg

Last edited:

Oh nice! looking forward to see the clear cast results! :thumbsup

So, time to break out my new Vacuum Degasser and pour some Silicone!

42.jpg

I've always been very good at mixing silicone,pouring from a good height in order to limit the amount of bubbles in my casts, but now with this thing, it will no only save my arms a bit of bother it will enhance the quality and longevity of my molds that little bit more. Plus i will be able to proper pressure castings without the risk of implosion!

43.jpg
44.jpg
45.jpg

Last edited:

With the two molds that require a 'side A' and a 'side B', the first half of the process is complete, time to prepare the silicone again and pour the 2nd half. I'll be back with updates tomorrow!

46.jpg
47.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back