Rogue One Vader lightsaber confirmed to be ESB version

BlueSaber

IMG_1069.JPG

It just makes me wonder wonder why they did his ANH costume but not lightsaber.

I'm curious if this is a real MPP... I know we can't trust the visual dictionary's. Even though the graflex featured in wired was in the ep7 visual dictionary

But the MPP in the rogue one visual dictionary doesn't have any lettering on it.

My theory is they purchased a MPP to reverse engineer it and make they own. Just like how pinewood did it for the graflex

I have a hard time believing the prop department bought one MPP to use through to film. Plus there is a belt hanger and a FX saber...

Here is a picture from the visual dictionary with out the lettering on the tube

a62327b6dc23f8a7937ca34f7520102a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because they don't care as much as we do about small things like that.
Just be happy they used A vader lightsaber. :)

This is what I love about Star Wars props. There really is no "cannon" look for anything, because almost everything changes from movie to movie (sometimes scene to scene). To me, when I build props myself, I just shoot for close, then it becomes "my" Darth Vader helmet, etc. Plus, all the differences make for entertaining arguments to watch on the forums!

They had very little time to shoot that scene as well...it was the last thing shot for the film from what I unferstand...something like 4 months before release. They likely needed to grab something they had on hand.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The MPP which was initially purchased in the summer of 2014 before or whilest shooting TFA . . . has been in the prop-guys grasp ever since and way before Rogue One was produced . . . it's possible multiple copies were cast for several uses . . . from this one vintage MPP :) As for the lacking of the letters ... those could have been photoshopped out of the picture for that particular book :wacko

Chaïm

Last edited:
Yeah, it kinda' sorta' looks like a reproduction. One other thing that seems suspect is the appearance of the shroud thumbscrew and the bulb release knob.

Rogue1 saber comp.jpg

The thumbscrew appears to be brass (why would they replace it?) and I'm sure that the detail is just washed out in the photo, but the bulb release knob looks odd as well.

And then there's also what appears to be a seam line on that corner of the shroud.

Look at those skinny brown and tan wires.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Pics of the Disney Vader hilt. I gotta admit, I like the colors more than ANH hilt except the weathering doesn’t look natural but overall a great hilt. Rogue One so this is closest we’ll get to getting what was seen on screen.
2b34b2a4231803f5c017e36dc7a02d66.jpg

0f018a419561cd8ce66716d2cd055c5f.jpg

4966125d816e1209d34d891758680485.jpg

isn't the visual dictionary pic of an old ROTJ saber and not the prop used in Rogue 1? Thought it was a clean/as first built version of the visual dictionary saber in Rogue 1? Looks like they just used the wrong saber as reference for the FX saber i.e. it shouldn't have any weathering on it.

Last edited:
Yeah, it kinda' sorta' looks like a reproduction. One other thing that seems suspect is the appearance of the shroud thumbscrew and the bulb release knob.

View attachment 719822

The thumbscrew appears to be brass (why would they replace it?) and I'm sure that the detail is just washed out in the photo, but the bulb release knob looks odd as well.

And then there's also what appears to be a seam line on that corner of the shroud.

The hero MPP from ESB/ROTJ has that exact same thumbscrew with the diamond pattern.

ff7ddb7be05a95eca0560cefa2bcb7b1--lightsaber-vader.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 719603

It just makes me wonder wonder why they did his ANH costume but not lightsaber.

Well they didnt even try to recreate the ANH costume at all. The saber is just another lazy piece on their part along with the lazy work on the costume.

The hero MPP from ESB/ROTJ has that exact same thumbscrew with the diamond pattern.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/ff/7d/db/ff7ddb7be05a95eca0560cefa2bcb7b1--lightsaber-vader.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Well they didnt even try to recreate the ANH costume at all. The saber is just another lazy piece on their part along with the lazy work on the costume.

Definately not the same shroud. Look at the hard right angle where the d-ring is going through on the Rogue one saber vs the smooth rounded corner on the ESB saber

anyone know if the saber has the side lever on the clamp like the Disney parks saber? or is it just as per the ESB saber?

The lever on the MPP used in ESB and ROTJ broke off and that is why we see the stud on the one side of the clamp. Im not sure if the MPP in R1 has a lever since that side of the clamp is never shown. Although the correct side the lever should be on for ESB, R1 left the stud so Im assuming the lever is only a Disney thing until the R1 clamp is shown on that side.

Last edited:
The lever on the MPP used in ESB and ROTJ broke off and that is why we see the stud on the one side of the clamp. Im not sure if the MPP in R1 has a lever since that side of the clamp is never shown. Although the correct side the lever should be on for ESB, R1 left the stud so Im assuming the lever is only a Hasbro thing until the R1 clamp is shown on that side.

Thanks. Meeting Spencer Wilding this weekend and i'm going to get him to sign a saber, so need to make a R1 saber this week!

What makes you think they left the stud on the R1 saber? Are you basing that on the visual dictionary saber? That looks like a socket hex bolt to me. From the screencap from R1 you can't tell what it is, but it is silver, although in the same screencap which hasn't been photoshopped the stud looks black.....

c043b309ecdaa84f93cffc792d1202a4.png

Last edited:
Pics of the Disney Vader hilt. I gotta admit, I like the colors more than ANH hilt except the weathering doesn’t look natural but overall a great hilt. Rogue One so this is closest we’ll get to getting what was seen on screen.
2b34b2a4231803f5c017e36dc7a02d66.jpg

0f018a419561cd8ce66716d2cd055c5f.jpg

4966125d816e1209d34d891758680485.jpg

What Disney Vader hilt is this? I'm trying to find it to use as a reference for my Rogue One build, but I'm only finding clean versions of the hilt.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back