The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group

So ... what's the general consensus ... symmetric or a-symmetric grenade? This picture remains quite confused ... especially how the bubblestrip is attached ... or perhaps it was just loosely added on top/inbetween? :confused

Chaïm

It's symmetric... you can tell by the > shape at the top of the first groove and that the top frag pieces appear to have a \__/ shape...

So hard to tell on the grenade, mine plays the same tricks; some cuts look straight, others curve a bit. That's how it goes I guess with hand made items.

And... the balance pipe vent appears to be - gasp! - welded on! Am I seeing this right?

I was thinking that little hole on the GRAFLEX Clamp looked more like it was filled with JB-Weld than Hales Grenade. And then it could be a similar epoxy in the balance pipe and in between the booster and the sink knob if I imagine it not being dirt/dust.

Too, the dents in the GRAFLEX Clamp make it look like it was dinged that way to make it a tighter fit on the end of the grenade. I'd say the balance pipe dings look purposeful for just that reason too, just like everyone always tries to replicate, but now I'm seeing it more like "over-gooped" wiped-offish epoxy or even paint rather than dents.

Schermafbeelding%202017-06-13%20om%2021.27.00_zpsuizkizcr.PNG

Schermafbeelding%202017-06-13%20om%2021.28.00_zps6iysf17t.PNG

I always wondered why Master Replicas made that extra connection between the neck and the emitter :confused

Chaïm

Last edited:
OB1%20-%20LIGHTSABER%20-%20OBI-WAN%20KENOBI%20-%20ANH%20-%20CHRONICLES%20-%20TOM%20JUNG%20PHOT...JPG

I turned the picture 180º as it was photographed and cleared it up in PS with levels . . . a little mystery how that bubblestrip is attached . . . as well as the 'cone' section between emitter and grenade neck :confused

Chaïm

Last edited:
I does look like the bubble strip is outside, or on top, of the clamp lever.

I disagree... if you take a look at the top of the strip closest to the emitter, you can see the clamp edge... and you can actually follow that line through the bubble lenses...

Since we're revisiting things again...

Exactra strip - Frosted or clear edges?

I have a clear one on my saber now, but I've been debating if I want to swap it to a frosted version.

Schermafbeelding%202017-06-14%20om%2021.19.15_zps7wrf7qoz.PNG

I enhanced the bubblestrip ... any thoughts what we're looking at? In between the clamp lips ... frosted or not?

Did the same with the emitter connection ... JB Weld as suggested or painted superglue?

Schermafbeelding%202017-06-14%20om%2021.21.23_zpssykqvrxp.PNG

Chaïm

Last edited:
Welded , explaining why they sanded the grenade front before welding...
No way to know for the bubble, frosted or not, sanded or not, no way to get sure from this picture.
It needs a better scan, who is ok to win the auction and make ultra hd scan?
Or maybe it's possible to get a larger resolution without buying the photography?

Everyone keeps using that brand-name but did 'JBWeld' exist back then?

JB-weld started in 1969, so yeah, but regular epoxy resins have been around since the late thirties. I don't think that the prop department would have used JB-weld per say, but some kind of epoxy resin would defiantly be in their bag of tricks.

To the topic of the weight of the ANH:OB1. It would appear from previous posts that a vintage parts ANH:OB1 weighs around 1kg, much heavier than a vintage parts graflex ANH Luke hilt which I've just weighed myself at 200g. Even my Romans' ANH:OB1 weighs 500g.

Either way, its a pretty heavy thing to have dangling from your belt and bouncing around near your nethers, I wonder how Sir Alec Guinness felt about that?

JB-weld started in 1969, so yeah, but regular epoxy resins have been around since the late thirties. I don't think that the prop department would have used JB-weld per say, but some kind of epoxy resin would defiantly be in their bag of tricks.

Just a bit of info. Jb weld was used on Trek props. Doesnt mean anything exactly about SW. But at least its not unheard of for prop makers to have used it back in the day

Just a bit of info. Jb weld was used on Trek props. Doesnt mean anything exactly about SW. But at least its not unheard of for prop makers to have used it back in the day
I was thinking more in terms of distribution of JB-weld in the UK in the late seventies, hence the "per say". That's a cool bit of info on the Trek props. Must have been late in the last season I'd guess.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back