The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group

Grenade question...

My stem is majorly stuck in the frag body. I can't budge it a mm. I tried soaking that connection overnight in coke. No change. I've had wd-40 on it about 5 hours now...still no give.

Anything else I can do or is it perma-stuck?

If it's stuck - i'm thinking getting a bolt in the head to attach to the emitter is going to be less than fun.

Even though it's 1918 ish - i assum CCW is tighten, CW is loosen? yes? I have tried both directions to no avail.

I had this problem.

I broke my pin off the neck trying to get it off... so BE CAREFUL.

Here's what I ended up doing... (assuming I'm understanding correctly what your sitch is)

I soaked it in deep creep (I believe that's what it's called) it's a spray for rusted bolts.

I had it in a clamp, and used rubber, a small screwdriver and a wrench.... leverage did it all. finally moved.

Did this TWICE (when I got a different neck off of Edraven)

Here's a link to pics of my setup:

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=225882&page=7

post 172

Any recommendations on the heating? Oven? Boiling? Temp? How long? etc?
NeoRutty seems that heat helped you out a lot too. That was a good post on what all you went through to get yours apart. I've seen the screw driver ref a few times, but i can't get a decent sized on through the hole, though it looks like it shouldn't be much issue. Might need to pick up a phillips head or two :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I used a gaz flame gun...
heat to 200°c or so, maybe more I don't remember, I made it using the color, when hot the material takes different color easy to see on steel, gets yellow, then blue then gray then starting to get red but making light, then orange etc...to incandescent yellow-white but if you get this color it's too hot aha.

200 is pretty much 400F - all i have for heating is oven/stove. No flame gun, though i understand it's advantage here.

what is you oven max temperature, you don't have a cooking gaz plate , it can work, if you can already get higher than boiling water, then you can put some wd 40 as it's still hot, I think it can help.

Hey cboath ! I think what parfaitelumiere is refering to is a Propane Torch.

Check HomeDepot or Lowes, etc. for:

Bernzomatic UL100 Basic Propane Torch Kit

Bernzomatic TS3000KC Self Igniting Torch Kit

Get some long handle tongs too if you don't have any, you won't be able to hold onto the grenade body with thick-leather gloved hands for very long as the heat builds up insanely fast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Roger Shaw build the OB1 ANH lightsaber as you can see from this screenshot from part of a page of Roger Christian's Book : 'Cinema Alchemist' ...

[url]http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz258/Sym-Cha/Schermafbeelding%202017-06-17%20om%2013.01.14_zpsqdkdrktc.png[/URL]

https://books.google.nl/books?id=iG...UAhWPZlAKHQeOD_8Q6AEIRTAI#v=onepage&q&f=false

Chaïm

Wow ... I reveal who made the illustrous OB1 ANH lightsaber . . . and no comments whatsoever . . . . . all you folks do is yapp about a stuck grenade . . . on and on ... :wacko

Chaïm

Wow ... I reveal who made the illustrous OB1 ANH lightsaber . . . and no comments whatsoever . . . . . all you folks do is yapp about a stuck grenade . . . on and on ... :wacko

Chaïm

Sorry my problem takes some spotlight away...

FWIW, the oven will get over 500F

Chaïm
It's my understanding that Roger Shaw was a set dresser, and did work on mostly background droids. There isn't anything in that block of text that explicitly mentions the Obi Wan saber. To the contrary, action props are specifically mentioned, and are different than hand props. A background droid that moves and blinks is an action prop i.e. it is in action during a scene. A hand prop is something carried by an actor to further character development, like a lightsaber.

To my mind, its more logical to assume that Roger Christian himself made the Obi Wan saber. He's never denied making that particular prop, he's very familiar with that prop, having scrutinized replicas of it before.
The Obi Wan saber is esoteric, and Roger gets more milage from talking about the iconic props like the graflex and sterling.

Last edited:
Read quite a lot of the book (bought a copy a few months ago) don't recall reading anything about the Obi saber. To be honest my take on it was that felt like he had forgotten what was used on the props and when me mentioned things it was as though he got the info from here.
It's very vague for example when he talks about the Macros he says they were simply super glued. And that a light was added to them so it lit up to look like Luke is viewing something. It might be what no one can put a finger on the mystery box perhaps it's some made up switch mechanism. Anyway wasn't anything in it for me to think it helps with anything your likely to build.

I have received part of a personal email conversation with Roger Christian and someone who likes to remain anonymous and I quote :

'Christian said that his friend, Roger Shaw was hired to set up a new department and created the Obi Wan sabers.'

That and the mentioning of Roger Shaw in his book of Roger Shaw setting up the same new department led me to conclude that Roger Shaw was the one who constructed OB1's lightsaber and perhaps that is the very reason of the lack of info in 'Cinema Alchemist' of Roger Christian's involvement in making said weapon of a more civilized age :)

Chaïm

I have received part of a personal email conversation with Roger Christian and someone who likes to remain anonymous and I quote :

'Christian said that his friend, Roger Shaw was hired to set up a new department and created the Obi Wan sabers.'

That and the mentioning of Roger Shaw in his book of Roger Shaw setting up the same new department led me to conclude that Roger Shaw was the one who constructed OB1's lightsaber and perhaps that is the very reason of the lack of info in 'Cinema Alchemist' of Roger Christian's involvement in making said weapon of a more civilized age :)

Chaïm
You know me Chaim, I'm brisk and like to stick to the facts. Perhaps you could have included your anonymous correspondence in your original post?
Anyway, now you must find this gentleman and have him assemble your vintage parts, only then will the circle be complete.

Sabers there is another....

I honestly just liked the post because it revealed some info about possibly who made it, but I couldn't think of any avenues to look for the actual details we're searching for. I've been peacefully observing and thinking and only posting when I have something constructive :lol

The weld idea is fascinating, would explain the bright upper neck, and a sloppier job would explain the crap on the emitter

Forgive me if this is not the right thread or if it has been covered but which is the most authentic way of displaying the transistors? Both with washers or just one?
Obi1.PNGObi2.PNG

Last edited:
It appears to me (as a complete newbie) that the majority of this thread go for a chronicles build... why is that? I'd have thought the Tunisia build, being seen on screen, would have been more common. Thoughts?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back