Subscribe
    From
    South Carolina
    Feb 22, 2018, 10:51 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #851

scottjua said: View Post
    Lol the Cold one is mine. But I need to machine myself a balance pipe adapter like his. That one looks more accurate to me.
    If you do machine an adapter, how much would you need for one?.... if you'd offer one that is. I have a converted male balance pipe. I've got a cone adapter in it right now, but I do like the design of this one a bit better.
  2. RPF Premium Member Edraven99's Avatar
    Feb 22, 2018, 11:25 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #852

russellsch said: View Post
    If you do machine an adapter, how much would you need for one?.... if you'd offer one that is. I have a converted male balance pipe. I've got a cone adapter in it right now, but I do like the design of this one a bit better.
    Yep... I'd be down for a run... I'm using Roman's for mine atm....
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Feb 22, 2018, 2:46 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #853

Excellent lightsaber NickCline, great job by scottjua

And if you're about to do a run for a new cone section ... why not base it on a real found vintage part? Such as my magnetic metal chromed and partly brass piece with a set-screw so it can be attached to any available 'vintage' rod :

As seen inside a replica Balance Pipe :

Set-screw as partly seen with BP attached :

Cham
    From
    Michigan
    Feb 22, 2018, 2:54 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #854

I need some sort of balance pipe adapter too. I have one in my parts box but I dont think its going to work (I forget exactly why. Im out of town right now and cant look at it).
    My grenade and sink knob are replicas for now. Need to replate the knob if I use it.
    From
    Sydney, Australia
    Feb 24, 2018, 4:57 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #855

Kudos @NickCline. Awesome piece!
    From
    Washington DC
    Feb 24, 2018, 1:38 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #856

Congrats NickCline. Looks far too awesome to have come together so fast. Im going to print out that picture and put it on top of my pile of parts.

For inspiration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  7. RPF Premium Member NickCline's Avatar
    Feb 24, 2018, 9:41 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #857

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but does anyone know approximately how many real part Obi's are now in existence?

Also, seeing that many of us are just a booster away from a 100% real parts Obi, what is the max you would pay for one? What would be considered "fair" market value at this point with its rarity and high demand?
    From
    Florida
    Feb 24, 2018, 10:04 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #858

NickCline said: View Post
    Forgive me if this has been asked before, but does anyone know approximately how many real part Obi's are now in existence?

Also, seeing that many of us are just a booster away from a 100% real parts Obi, what is the max you would pay for one? What would be considered "fair" market value at this point with its rarity and high demand?
    There was a list of the known builds but it was deleted to protect the innocent. Here is something teecrooz posted about the engines though.

I know of 41 large assemblies and 29 small. Some of the 29 were converted to resemble the large assemblies, but not all.

41 = Four engines at nine per engine (36). Plus four New/Old stock and one sourced independently.
    29 = Three engines at nine per engine (27). Plus two New/Old stock. I do not know that the small assemblies from the first engine were retained.

As for the booster price, so hard to say. Demand as you noted, drives the price of course. It would be interesting to see what one would go for right now.
    I do hope you can find one to finish your saber Nick.
    Last edited by Panaflex; Feb 24, 2018 at 10:14 PM.
  9. RPF Premium Member NickCline's Avatar
    Feb 24, 2018, 11:46 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #859

Panaflex said: View Post
    There was a list of the known builds but it was deleted to protect the innocent. Here is something teecrooz posted about the engines though.

I know of 41 large assemblies and 29 small. Some of the 29 were converted to resemble the large assemblies, but not all.

41 = Four engines at nine per engine (36). Plus four New/Old stock and one sourced independently.
    29 = Three engines at nine per engine (27). Plus two New/Old stock. I do not know that the small assemblies from the first engine were retained.

As for the booster price, so hard to say. Demand as you noted, drives the price of course. It would be interesting to see what one would go for right now.
    I do hope you can find one to finish your saber Nick.
    Thanks, man!
    From
    Sydney, Australia
    Feb 25, 2018, 3:50 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #860

The booster definitely seems to be the harder part to source - which is surprising. You'd really think it would be the Hales.

Who knew 100 year old unexploded ordnance was easier to get than the pointy end of a ww2 aircraft machine gun?
    From
    Washington DC
    Feb 25, 2018, 4:23 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #861

Does seem bizarre, doesnt it?

12. RPF Premium Member Edraven99's Avatar
    Feb 26, 2018, 8:59 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #862

Actually the hardest part imo is still the balance pipe... it’s only through a bit of luck and @teecrooz that we’ve been able to find the last three engines.
  13. RPF Premium Member SubLevel5's Avatar
    From
    Chicago
    Feb 26, 2018, 9:23 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #863

How much is a balance pipe going for nowadays?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    From
    South Carolina
    Feb 26, 2018, 9:46 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #864

Edraven99 said: View Post
    Actually the hardest part imo is still the balance pipe... it’s only through a bit of luck and @teecrooz that we’ve been able to find the last three engines.
    The balance pipe was the one piece that I thought was - forever - going to be the replica on my build. But, thanks to @teecrooz, that's no longer the case.
    Now if I could only find that booster.
    From
    Washington DC
    Feb 26, 2018, 11:03 AM - The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #865

russellsch said: View Post
    The balance pipe was the one piece that I thought was - forever - going to be the replica on my build. But, thanks to @teecrooz, that's no longer the case.
    Now if I could only find that booster.
    Funny, the balance pipe vent was the first thing I acquired - thanks to Edraven99.

Though I was off to the races, did I!

Filling out the rest of the parts list, I find it a bit amazing that the booster turned out to be the giant speed bump.

I mean, people collect guns and WWII stuff, right? Should be a few around.

Who collects sink knobs from the age of Disco?

Besides me, it would seem...
    From
    Germany
    Feb 26, 2018, 11:14 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #866

People collect - but that doesnt means they offer their stuff for sale....
    From
    UK
    Feb 26, 2018, 12:50 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #867

SubLevel5 said: View Post
    How much is a balance pipe going for nowadays?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    I'm interested in this too. I've got absolutely no idea how much one of these would cost - 500, 1k 2k?
    From
    South Carolina
    Feb 26, 2018, 1:10 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #868

I think the last few that sold (& they ALL sell .... fast) have sold around $800 - $1,000 & up. Depending on if they were males, converted females, or actual females being a factor.
    It's been quite a while since I've seen any come up, so who knows now.
    I'm wondering what a booster would go for
  19. RPF Premium Member Panaflex's Avatar
    From
    Florida
    Feb 26, 2018, 2:23 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #869

The Balance Pipe was the final piece for me.

Both the booster and the BP were only possible with help from people on this forum. The booster itself was a wild multi-tiered event involving an arms dealer and other buyers for extra parts. Somebody here warned me to check my sanity at the door on the booster when I started the journey.

There's no doubt that part of the cost baked into these antique oddities is the man hours that go into just finding them.
    From
    Long Beach, CA, US
    Feb 26, 2018, 3:12 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #870

Its funny, the last few boosters I found are the only parts I didn't find through the RPF. And the Graflex clamp, but those aren't at all rare. I made a friend in the gun collecting community and he's the one who helped me locate the boosters. After the last one I got with his help, even he said they were getting harder and harder to find. But yeah, I always thought the balance pipe would be the one part on my Obi that would be a replica forever. Luckily Roman came through with some awesome converted males. Thats good enough for me.
    From
    Sydney, Australia
    Feb 26, 2018, 9:48 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #871

Edraven99 said: View Post
    I suppose - and yet most parties here seem to describe a complete saber apart from the booster. I know this is greatly due to the generous hard work of Chris and the incestuous passing around of the components.

We'll probably all be wiped out by a virulent disease contracted from a dirty telephone at some point.

I can say I paid more than $1000 for my natural female balance pipe...
    Last edited by fezfox; Feb 27, 2018 at 5:08 AM.
    From
    UK
    Feb 27, 2018, 6:11 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #872

fezfox said: View Post
    I suppose - and yet most parties here seem to describe a complete saber apart from the booster. I know this is greatly due to the generous hard work of Chris and the incestuous passing around of the components.

We'll probably all be wiped out by a virulent disease contracted from a dirty telephone at some point.

I can say I paid more than $1000 for my natural female balance pipe...
    I suppose that's around the figure I expected but I was always intrigued to find out for sure!

I would absolutely love a real parts OB1 but it's out of my league price-wise. Also, I think at this stage of game, there are no bargains or lucky finds to make. Anyone who has one of the items needed to make a saber knows what they are worth to a Star Wars collector.

What we see happening now is what I call the 'Star Wars tax' where items have their intrinsic value trippled.

A man can dream though but in the meantime, if anyone finds themself near Manchester UK with a real parts saber in hand, please let me know so i can just hold it for a few moments!
  23. RPF Premium Member veektohr's Avatar
    From
    Los Angeles
    Feb 27, 2018, 9:16 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #873

andyroo said: View Post
    I suppose that's around the figure I expected but I was always intrigued to find out for sure!

I would absolutely love a real parts OB1 but it's out of my league price-wise. Also, I think at this stage of game, there are no bargains or lucky finds to make. Anyone who has one of the items needed to make a saber knows what they are worth to a Star Wars collector.

What we see happening now is what I call the 'Star Wars tax' where items have their intrinsic value trippled.

A man can dream though but in the meantime, if anyone finds themself near Manchester UK with a real parts saber in hand, please let me know so i can just hold it for a few moments!
    You never know! Being in the UK, youre much closer geographically to where almost all of these items are usually found. Every Hales Ive had came from the UK. Every handwheel from the UK. The engine I found was in the EU... also over here the MG parts floating around are closely guarded by gun guys, and they can smell out prop nerds from a mile away :P. You might have more luck than you think getting in with the UK/European militaria crowd.

From
    Sydney, Australia
    Feb 28, 2018, 5:02 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #874

veektohr said: View Post
    ... also over here the MG parts floating around are closely guarded by gun guys, and they can smell out prop nerds from a mile away :P.
    Do they not like us?
  25. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Stuart, FL
    Feb 28, 2018, 5:27 AM - The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #875

The only pieces Im missing for mine are the transistors and the white/gray wire. The rest of it took me a WHILE to find and trade for/buy all the original parts. The booster for me? THAT was the single hardest piece to come by.