Subscribe
  1. RPF Premium Member fightercaptured's Avatar
    From
    NWA
    Feb 1, 2018, 1:25 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #826

russellsch said: View Post
    Thanks guys! Where would I be without you all?
    I finally got my sink knob on Putting the D-ring on freaked me out. It was a tight fit, & I didn't want to break a cube
    Attachment 791943

I also got my real balance pipe on too
    Attachment 791945

I still need to put my grenade on, but I'm telling myself I need to hold out for a real booster first. We'll see how long I'm able to hold out though.
    But, other than that, everything else is real parts on mine.
    Attachment 791948 Attachment 791949
    Looking good Russell!
    From
    Washington DC
    Feb 2, 2018, 7:58 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #827

Edraven99 said: View Post
    Yeah... it's kind of funny the order you get parts in for this project.... I think the BP was the second piece for me... or it might have even been the first... can't remember if I got my handwheel first or not lol.... but looking good you guys!

Our little club isn't so 'little' anymore!

It was the BP for me, thanks to yours truly. I figured once I lucked onto the rare and obscure WWII era jet engine mod-dot part, the rest would be all downhill. Right? Lol!

Right now, my light saber looks like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4394.JPG 
Views:	148 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	792080

More thanks go to Sym-Cha, kurtyboy, mugatu, userd1402, parafaitelumiere, and teecrooz, who have all helped me to build out the parts list, and to understand all that has been learned over the years.

I'm pretty old-school. Work doesn't begin until the parts list is complete. I am currently resisting the temptation to purchase a Romans booster. It's all-vintage or bust. Right down to the washers and internals, whatever the heck I end up using for those.

3. Member Since
    Sep 2016
    Feb 2, 2018, 9:47 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #828

Fusion said: View Post

It was the BP for me, thanks to yours truly. I figured once I lucked onto the rare and obscure WWII era jet engine mod-dot part, the rest would be all downhill. Right? Lol!

Right now, my light saber looks like this:

Name:	IMG_4394.JPG 
Views:	148 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	792080

More thanks go to Sym-Cha, kurtyboy, mugatu, userd1402, parafaitelumiere, and teecrooz, who have all helped me to build out the parts list, and to understand all that has been learned over the years.

I'm pretty old-school. Work doesn't begin until the parts list is complete. I am currently resisting the temptation to purchase a Romans booster. It's all-vintage or bust. Right down to the washers and internals, whatever the heck I end up using for those.
    Wow!! What's the board that you're harvesting transistors from? I have the vintage ones offered up by parfaitelumiere but they are unused, so it's really fascinating to see a board w/ them in the wild.

I also share you're internal struggle of just buying Roman's replicas until I can get the rarer parts, however, I don't share your willpower
    From
    Washington DC
    Feb 2, 2018, 10:22 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #829

Jasonious said: View Post
    Wow!! What's the board that you're harvesting transistors from? I have the vintage ones offered up by parfaitelumiere but they are unused, so it's really fascinating to see a board w/ them in the wild.

I also share you're internal struggle of just buying Roman's replicas until I can get the rarer parts, however, I don't share your willpower
    Thatís just some random Ampex board that I think was old enough to have been a potential source back in the day that had some op amps and transistors with a similar packaging style. They are around. I have a couple more that are similar. Iíd be happy to share once I decide what parts I should harvest for my future dream builds.

I also have a set of parfaitelumiere washers & vintage op amps, too - somewhere around here. I was going to use them as a reference to find some old hardware that was as close as possible. Just gotta figure out where I put the darned things...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    From
    South Carolina
    Feb 2, 2018, 7:50 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #830

I have little to no will power , so I'm using the Romans.

That being said, I can not say enough how magnificent a piece Romans replica is. When you find a real world piece, you just swap it out. But when I hold his replicated parts next to the real parts.... they're perfect.
  6. RPF Premium Member RoyDeckard's Avatar
    From
    Nashville, TN
    Feb 6, 2018, 12:26 PM - The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #831

Just a small update, got some weathering on my Balance Pipe, now gotta find a way to seal it (clear laquer, maybe?)

Still looking for my 3 final parts (grenade, sink tap, and booster.)&

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. Member Since
    Jan 2018
    Feb 6, 2018, 12:34 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #832

Has anyone ever used a vintage Graflex extension unit as the spacer between the grenade and the booster? Do the measurements work out? Would the clamp fit over it?

I'm new here...be gentle with me.
  8. RPF Premium Member RoyDeckard's Avatar
    From
    Nashville, TN
    Feb 6, 2018, 1:27 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #833

NateV66 said: View Post
    Has anyone ever used a vintage Graflex extension unit as the spacer between the grenade and the booster? Do the measurements work out? Would the clamp fit over it?

A lot of people use a vintage part from the booster or Romanís Fx spacer I believe, I donít know if that would work because of how the grenade sits but itís an idea worth trying.

9. Member Since
    Sep 2016
    Feb 6, 2018, 10:39 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #834

NateV66 said: View Post

A clamp does fit over a slave unit, so if you found on of the Graflite style slave units (the ones that are just cylinders, as opposed to the bunny ear kind) it might work. I'm unsure of how tall they are though.
  10. Valar Morghulis RPF Premium Member Serenity's Avatar
    From
    over there
    Feb 6, 2018, 11:03 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #835

Hopkinsc1 said: View Post
    Just a small update, got some weathering on my Balance Pipe, now gotta find a way to seal it (clear laquer, maybe?)
    Krylon matte finish spray works well for stuff like that.
  11. RPF Premium Member RoyDeckard's Avatar
    From
    Nashville, TN
    Feb 8, 2018, 4:19 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #836

Serenity said: View Post
    Krylon matte finish spray works well for stuff like that.
    I was considering this or a laquer.

From
    Unknown Regions
    Feb 12, 2018, 11:46 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #837

Guys, what's the full length of your real parts saber ?
    Feb 12, 2018, 1:10 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #838

The numbers will vary.

Not everyone's sink know will attach at the same position, not all grenades will attach in the same position, not all grenades will be the same length, not all boosters will be placed the same, not all balance pipes will sit on the grenade the same - and there are different adapters for the balance pipe and at the grenade level.

There could up to a 1/2" (12mm) difference or even more quite frankly.
    From
    UK
    Feb 14, 2018, 5:06 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #839

Can anyone tell me what the diameter of the handwheel is? I have a few and they seem to vary in size.
    From
    South Carolina
    Feb 14, 2018, 9:09 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #840

I finally got a photo light box. I think I'm in love!
    Anyway, this was my photo using it. & this was taken with only my phone!

Name:	20180214_211747.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	795716
  16. RPF Premium Member OdiWan72's Avatar
    From
    Cologne, Germany
    Feb 15, 2018, 3:06 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #841

russellsch said: View Post
    I finally got a photo light box. I think I'm in love!
    Anyway, this was my photo using it. & this was taken with only my phone!

Name:	20180214_211747.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	795716
    Do you have cats

Love the pic!
    From
    South Carolina
    Feb 15, 2018, 7:50 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #842

OdiWan72 said: View Post
    Do you have cats

Love the pic!
    Yep
    Just like laundry, nothing's complete without cat hair.
  18. RPF Premium Member NickCline's Avatar
    Feb 22, 2018, 1:41 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #843

So look at what showed up today...

I'd like to give a shoutout to all the guys who made this dream possible, and in such a short amount of time:

Mega huge THANK YOU to @scottjua for piecing all these parts together for me, as well as adding some beautiful touches to the grenade, clamp and balance pipe. I jumped into this hobby about a year ago, and Scott has always been so generous with his time and knowledge. I couldnít be more appreciative. Truly one of the best fellas in the hobby, and man is he talented! Oh, and I c
    an't take credit for these pics, as he snapped them next to his personal Obi build last week just before dropping mine in the mail. What a sight! :'-)

Mr. @ms80444 dealt me this beautiful grenade not too long ago, and has gone above and beyond in trying to help me source a real booster. Just a stand up guy all around! Thanks a ton, brother!

Like many of you, none of this would have been possible without @teecrooz. He sold me a beautiful converted male balance pipe for a very generous price, as well as giving me SimplyProps adapter that I now believe to be more accurate than the cone-shaped ones we usually see in Obi builds. It's an awesome touch! Not to mention he dealt me a Roman's booster to hold me off until I find a real one. I really appreciate everything, Chris.

My friend @Hopkinsc1 helped me source what I believe was my very first part of this build, a beautiful Exactra 20 calculator in a trade sometime this past summer. Very grateful to him for that, as they are becoming more and more scarce.

I acquired the AS Handwheel from @Marv a while back after listing it in the Junkyard sometime this past fall. Super happy I was able to snag it up before someone else did!

The vintage Motorola tranistors and accurate d-ring were provided by @Romans Empire!

The only thing I didnít source from a fellow RPFíer was the Graflex clamp I picked up on a whim late last year off eBay. At the time, I really didnít have any intention of completing this project so soon. But somehow one thing lead to another and here we are! I couldnít be happier, even with the replica booster. Iím sure I will find a real one eventually.

Thanks again to everyone thatís helped me on this journey! I am forever grateful.
    Last edited by NickCline; Feb 22, 2018 at 2:40 AM.
  19. RPF Premium Member SubLevel5's Avatar
    From
    Chicago
    Feb 22, 2018, 7:05 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #844

NickCline said: View Post
    So look at what showed up today...

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4662/...5fd8da32_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4674/...3b27ca2f_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4653/...2f8fb90a_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4719/...f622b632_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4760/...35db8d13_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4656/...2439ee3b_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4657/...9d67e4c0_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4630/...01a3aede_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4748/...ea863832_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4629/...7b1ebc80_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4659/...4b153c7f_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4619/...05fbd8ca_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4709/...43178f1f_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4751/...f413cf6e_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4696/...7563d12b_o.jpg

I'd like to give a shoutout to all the guys who made this dream possible, and in such a short amount of time:

Mega huge THANK YOU to @scottjua for piecing all these parts together for me, as well as adding some beautiful touches to the grenade, clamp and balance pipe. I jumped into this hobby about a year ago, and Scott has always been so generous with his time and knowledge. I couldnít be more appreciative. Truly one of the best fellas in the hobby, and man is he talented! Oh, and I c
    an't take credit for these pics, as he snapped them next to his personal Obi build last week just before dropping mine in the mail. What a sight! :'-)

Mr. @ms80444 dealt me this beautiful grenade not too long ago, and has gone above and beyond in trying to help me source a real booster. Just a stand up guy all around! Thanks a ton, brother!

Like many of you, none of this would have been possible without @teecrooz. He sold me a beautiful converted male balance pipe for a very generous price, as well as giving me SimplyProps adapter that I now believe to be more accurate than the cone-shaped ones we usually see in Obi builds. It's an awesome touch! Not to mention he dealt me a Roman's booster to hold me off until I find a real one. I really appreciate everything, Chris.

My friend @Hopkinsc1 helped me source what I believe was my very first part of this build, a beautiful Exactra 20 calculator in a trade sometime this past summer. Very grateful to him for that, as they are becoming more and more scarce.

I acquired the AS Handwheel from @Marv a while back after listing it in the Junkyard sometime this past fall. Super happy I was able to snag it up before someone else did!

The vintage Motorola tranistors and accurate d-ring were provided by @Romans Empire!

The only thing I didnít source from a fellow RPFíer was the Graflex clamp I picked up on a whim late last year off eBay. At the time, I really didnít have any intention of completing this project so soon. But somehow one thing lead to another and here we are! I couldnít be happier, even with the replica booster. Iím sure I will find a real one eventually.

Thanks again to everyone thatís helped me on this journey! I am forever grateful.
    Congrats Nick! I wish I could join the real parts club.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
  20. RPF Premium Member halliwax's Avatar
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Feb 22, 2018, 7:17 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #845

Damn thatís a beauty!

21. RPF Premium Member OdiWan72's Avatar
    From
    Cologne, Germany
    Feb 22, 2018, 7:29 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #846

Might have missed it, but is yours the Hot or Cold one ?
    From
    South Carolina
    Feb 22, 2018, 9:06 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #847

Damn, those look incredible! I thought you had both... I was getting ready to scream with jealousy
    I just absolutely love this lightsaber!
    But yes, which one is yours? Hot or Cold? I'm gonna gueeeeesss..... cold?
  23. RPF Premium Member NickCline's Avatar
    Feb 22, 2018, 9:48 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #848

Mine is the Hot one.
  24. RPF Premium Member scottjua's Avatar
    From
    Plano, TX (Dallas)
    Feb 22, 2018, 9:54 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #849

OdiWan72 said: View Post
    Might have missed it, but is yours the Hot or Cold one ?
    Lol the Cold one is mine. But I need to machine myself a balance pipe adapter like his. That one looks more accurate to me.
    From
    South Carolina
    Feb 22, 2018, 10:46 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #850

NickCline said: View Post
    Mine is the Hot one.
    D-OH! So close.