Subscribe
  1. RPF Premium Member Fusion's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2016
    From
    Washington DC
    Messages
    354
    Jan 12, 2018, 10:35 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #801

    teecrooz said: View Post
    Patrice’s measurements are close. There were minute differences between mine. I took my NOS Large Assembly (female) and measured it. OD is 55.84mm. ID is averaged out to 26mm, but interesting to note that the top ID was slightly smaller than 26mm, and the bottom ID was slightly larger than 26mm.

    Small Assembly (male) OD is 2mm less.

    Don’t take these as “the” measurements, because there could be slight variation due to machining, cleaning, wear, etc. But that is why I used the NOS one for measuring.

    I don’t know what Russ was provided, but I believe Serafino/Howard provided him measurements. You can read about the first accurate run here: https://www.therpf.com/showthread.ph...light=Serafino.
    I calipered my Roman converted NOS male late last night while still pining over seeing that Junkyard Hales literally as the first “PM Sent” message went up. Bloody job! Now the cuts on mine will forever appear slightly curved and overlong. Lol!

    Anyway, at 3am EST, the BP dimensions were: ID = 26.0mm at the bottom (didn’t think to do the top); OD = 55.8-55.9mm (I’d have to be awake and level the part and calipers to do any better there).


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  2. cboath's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2001
    Messages
    5,451
    Jan 12, 2018, 12:45 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #802

    Fusion said: View Post
    I calipered my Roman converted NOS male late last night while still pining over seeing that Junkyard Hales literally as the first “PM Sent” message went up. Bloody job! Now the cuts on mine will forever appear slightly curved and overlong. Lol!

    Anyway, at 3am EST, the BP dimensions were: ID = 26.0mm at the bottom (didn’t think to do the top); OD = 55.8-55.9mm (I’d have to be awake and level the part and calipers to do any better there).


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    That was me - apparently the bloody job aspect doomed me too
  3. Member Since
    Sep 2016
    Messages
    9
    Jan 14, 2018, 9:53 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #803

    I know it's not much to show compared to all of the amazing complete hilts in here, but it's my 2018 goal to complete my real parts Obi-Wan, so here's what I have in hand currently, along with a grenade waiting for me back in Ohio. I didn't really want to have the grenade shipped to Canada, so once I have all the other parts, I'll build it in Ohio and then crossing the border with a prop lightsaber makes way more sense than crossing w/ deactivated ordinance

    I have a lead on the AS knob as well, but the booster and balance tube are my Spring/Summer hunts.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0658.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	677.7 KB 
ID:	787344
    (nicely aged clamp and 2 vintage transistors from parfaitelumiere)

    To echo what so many have said in here already, Kenobi's saber is just brilliant. I love the Graflex and MPP, but once you know they are camera flashes, it's obvious, whereas Kenobi's is simply amazing. The fact that these random pieces fit together so perfectly, and that the props folks were able to suss that out astounds me.
  4. RPF Premium Member NickCline's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2016
    Messages
    113
    Jan 26, 2018, 4:00 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #804

    Got a pretty exciting update to share with you guys!

    Only one (big) piece away from completing my real parts Obi-Wan!

    Huge shoutout to both teecrooz for selling me an awesome converted male balance pipe, and to ms80444 for working out a trade for a beautiful grenade!

    Keeping my fingers crossed for a booster real soon!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E37419EE-94CE-4E8B-A160-3C53AFB95DC2.jpeg 
Views:	108 
Size:	846.3 KB 
ID:	790112
  5. russellsch's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2015
    From
    South Carolina
    Messages
    1,803
    Jan 26, 2018, 9:53 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #805

    It would be so awesome if someone came across a stash of boosters. Cause there's a bunch of us now who only need that piece to complete our builds (me included).

    & as I've said before, where would this community be without Teecrooz?
  6. RPF Premium Member thd9791's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2011
    From
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Messages
    4,942
    Jan 26, 2018, 11:26 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #806

    I actually have one and am saving up for a booster and a better grenade lol this is such a project
  7. RPF Premium Member fezfox's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2017
    From
    Sydney, Australia
    Messages
    147
    Jan 27, 2018, 2:40 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #807

    NickCline said: View Post
    Got a pretty exciting update to share with you guys!

    Only one (big) piece away from completing my real parts Obi-Wan!

    Huge shoutout to both teecrooz for selling me an awesome converted male balance pipe, and to ms80444 for working out a trade for a beautiful grenade!

    Keeping my fingers crossed for a booster real soon!
    Cool! I'm in a similar spot - thanks to mugatu for goodies with help and advice from teecroz and veektohr. Will post pics in coming days.
  8. ataru72ita's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2014
    From
    Italy
    Messages
    815
    Jan 28, 2018, 4:52 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #808

    russellsch said: View Post
    It would be so awesome if someone came across a stash of boosters. Cause there's a bunch of us now who only need that piece to complete our builds (me included).

    & as I've said before, where would this community be without Teecrooz?
    I double this!!!

    Regards,

    Alberto
  9. RPF Premium Member Edraven99's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2011
    Messages
    1,296
    Jan 28, 2018, 7:02 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #809

    Well for one thing my bank account would be a lot bigger
  10. Member Since
    Sep 2016
    Messages
    9
    Jan 29, 2018, 8:48 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #810

    Now that I've learned the actual prices on boosters and balance pipes, I realize that this will probably be a multi-year project, which is fine. I just need to make sure my expectations are appropriately set. That said, I'll be getting a sink knob from NickCline (thanks!) after this payday, and a buddy is reasonably certain he has a grenade in storage that he'll get to me. Once pieces are in hand, I'll be sure to post pictures. I'll probably order Roman's replica booster and balance pipe once I have the grenade and handwheel, so that I can at least assemble something.
  11. russellsch's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2015
    From
    South Carolina
    Messages
    1,803
    Jan 31, 2018, 3:27 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #811

    Question for the sink knob.
    I can get the carriage bolt no problem. However, the bolts have that square bit under the head, & I can't find one thin enough that will allow the knob end cap to go back on. My Armitage has a raised flange inside that will keep the head of the carriage bolt to high.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0981.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	791609
    Is this normal? Is this something that you guys had to grind down? Or am I not finding the correct bolts?
    I would love to be able to get the "C" cap with its blue ring back on after I get everything together.
  12. RPF Premium Member Marv's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2010
    From
    United Kingdom
    Messages
    1,095
    Jan 31, 2018, 3:36 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #812

    russellsch said: View Post
    Question for the sink knob.
    I can get the carriage bolt no problem. However, the bolts have that square bit under the head, & I can't find one thin enough that will allow the knob end cap to go back on. My Armitage has a raised flange inside that will keep the head of the carriage bolt to high.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0981.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	791609
    Is this normal? Is this something that you guys had to grind down? Or am I not finding the correct bolts?
    I would love to be able to get the "C" cap with its blue ring back on after I get everything together.
    I built mine with an M6 rod, had to use a cone adaptor fashioned to fit but meant no alterations to any of the parts. That way you can use a small bolt under the end cap too.
  13. Valar Morghulis RPF Premium Member Serenity's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2006
    From
    over there
    Messages
    2,322
    Jan 31, 2018, 3:40 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #813

    I used a regular full threaded bolt (no square bit under the head) and then sanded/ground down the head of the bolt:

  14. RPF Premium Member Anakin Starkiller's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2001
    From
    Rochester, NY
    Messages
    2,515
    Jan 31, 2018, 3:44 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #814

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6500.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	2.44 MB 
ID:	791612Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6501.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	2.19 MB 
ID:	791613Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6502.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	2.31 MB 
ID:	791614Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6503.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	2.46 MB 
ID:	791615Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6505.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	791616Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6509.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	791617Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6515.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	908.1 KB 
ID:	791618Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6516.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	5.30 MB 
ID:	791619

    Here is one of mine. Its all vintage parts except the booster, which is a Serafino replica. The Balance Pipe is one of Roman's corrected male to female models. And the calc bubbles are not the correct version, but I wanted vintage over replica
  15. russellsch's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2015
    From
    South Carolina
    Messages
    1,803
    Jan 31, 2018, 5:48 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #815

    Thanks guys!

    Marv said: View Post
    I built mine with an M6 rod, had to use a cone adaptor fashioned to fit but meant no alterations to any of the parts. That way you can use a small bolt under the end cap too.
    I'll dig around the barn & see what I can find. Maybe I can continue to use the Romans threaded rod.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Serenity said: View Post
    I used a regular full threaded bolt (no square bit under the head) and then sanded/ground down the head of the bolt:

    https://i.imgur.com/lJRTeAo.jpg
    If I can't find anything, I'll see about going with your technique.
    Thank you for the picture!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Anakin Starkiller said: View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6500.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	2.44 MB 
ID:	791612Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6501.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	2.19 MB 
ID:	791613Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6502.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	2.31 MB 
ID:	791614Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6503.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	2.46 MB 
ID:	791615Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6505.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	791616Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6509.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	791617Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6515.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	908.1 KB 
ID:	791618Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6516.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	5.30 MB 
ID:	791619

    Here is one of mine. Its all vintage parts except the booster, which is a Serafino replica. The Balance Pipe is one of Roman's corrected male to female models. And the calc bubbles are not the correct version, but I wanted vintage over replica
    That's beautiful!
  16. RPF Premium Member Fusion's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2016
    From
    Washington DC
    Messages
    354
    Jan 31, 2018, 7:26 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #816

    Anakin Starkiller said: View Post
    And the calc bubbles are not the correct version, but I wanted vintage over replica
    Oh dear, so which version calc bubbles are we supposed to use?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  17. RPF Premium Member JoeG's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2011
    From
    Long Beach, CA, US
    Messages
    2,595
    Jan 31, 2018, 7:41 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #817

    Fusion said: View Post
    Oh dear, so which version calc bubbles are we supposed to use?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    The correct 7 bubble version from the Exactra 19 or 20.
  18. RPF Premium Member halliwax's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2013
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Messages
    11,625
    Jan 31, 2018, 8:43 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #818

    Is there a reference picture of the sink knob with out the cap on it?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  19. Jedi Reali's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2000
    From
    Philadelphia, PA, USA
    Messages
    489
    Jan 31, 2018, 8:46 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #819

    halliwax said: View Post
    Is there a reference picture of the sink knob with out the cap on it?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	obinewscanbh3.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	133.1 KB 
ID:	791709
  20. RPF Premium Member halliwax's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2013
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Messages
    11,625
    Jan 31, 2018, 8:47 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #820

    Jedi Reali said: View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	obinewscanbh3.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	133.1 KB 
ID:	791709
    Wow!!!!! Never noticed that!!!!
  21. Sym-Cha's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2008
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Messages
    5,866
    Feb 1, 2018, 12:20 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #821

    JoeG said: View Post
    The correct 7 bubble version from the Exactra 19 or 20.
    There is another . . . : TI - 2000, which also has the
    7 digit bubblestrip inside, Made in Italy though



    http://www.datamath.org/BASIC/Exactr...00.htm#display

    Chaïm
  22. russellsch's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2015
    From
    South Carolina
    Messages
    1,803
    Feb 1, 2018, 12:45 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #822

    Thanks guys! Where would I be without you all?
    I finally got my sink knob on Putting the D-ring on freaked me out. It was a tight fit, & I didn't want to break a cube
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180201_125537.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	786.5 KB 
ID:	791943

    I also got my real balance pipe on too
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180201_125644.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	860.1 KB 
ID:	791945

    I still need to put my grenade on, but I'm telling myself I need to hold out for a real booster first. We'll see how long I'm able to hold out though.
    But, other than that, everything else is real parts on mine.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180201_125406.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	791948 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180201_125358.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	791949
  23. RPF Premium Member Edraven99's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2011
    Messages
    1,296
    Feb 1, 2018, 12:59 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #823

    Yeah... it's kind of funny the order you get parts in for this project.... I think the BP was the second piece for me... or it might have even been the first... can't remember if I got my handwheel first or not lol.... but looking good you guys!

    Our little club isn't so 'little' anymore!
    Last edited by Edraven99; Feb 1, 2018 at 1:11 PM.
  24. Valar Morghulis RPF Premium Member Serenity's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2006
    From
    over there
    Messages
    2,322
    Feb 1, 2018, 1:20 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #824

    russellsch said: View Post
    I still need to put my grenade on, but I'm telling myself I need to hold out for a real booster first. We'll see how long I'm able to hold out though.
    But, other than that, everything else is real parts on mine.
    Looks great. If you didn't say something, I'd think the grenade and booster were real too. It's amazing how good the current replicas are.
  25. RPF Premium Member veektohr's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2015
    From
    Los Angeles
    Messages
    1,323
    Feb 1, 2018, 1:20 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #825

    Beautiful! One of these days I gotta upgrade my Hales. So many perfect pineapples out there!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 50
    Last Post: Jul 1, 2017, 7:40 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jun 1, 2010, 5:33 PM