Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Sep 14, 2017, 7:20 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #601

fezfox said: View Post
    Is there any way those of us who are after boosters can perhaps join forces?
    Hey @fezfox ! Did you find a British warbird sunken off the Australian coastline and need a diving buddy or something?
    Sep 14, 2017, 7:24 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #602

Ridire Firean said: View Post
    Hey @fezfox ! Did you find a British warbird sunken off the Australian coastline and need a diving buddy or something?
    Sadly not! I am not sure how we can help each other - maybe dividing up amongst the various known ways to find them and keeping an eye out together - or maybe there is military surplus in bulk sometimes? I'm a novice, but looking for ways those amongst us who are boosterless can help each other.
    From
    Long Beach, CA, US
    Sep 14, 2017, 7:34 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #603

Last couple of boosters I found were from http://www.sturmgewehr.com/
    From
    Cologne, Germany
    Sep 14, 2017, 8:36 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #604

Have a source for a booster within Germany, if anybody is interested. NOT CHEAP
    Sep 14, 2017, 7:09 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #605

Thanks Khal I'll check it out - others have mentioned it. May be some here in Australia which would make the whole thing easier! Cheers!
  6. RPF Premium Member fightercaptured's Avatar
    From
    Fayetteville, AR
    Sep 15, 2017, 11:35 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #606

Thought I would go ahead and post my progress thus far. All real parts with the exception of the booster of course. Going to change out the transistors to the lower profile TO-99 as soon as I have them converted for accepting screws.

I just have to say that it still amazes me that I have this much of it at this point. I had stayed away from going down this path for well over a year. Scared of the cost. Nervous if would actually be able to find the parts. All I can say now is that I'm so glad to be on this journey. I absolutely love it! I'll let the pics do the rest and will re-post once it is completely original.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	128.8 KB 
ID:	758898Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	758899Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	758900Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	758905

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	196.2 KB 
ID:	758902Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	185.6 KB 
ID:	758903Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	210.1 KB 
ID:	758904

Special thanks to @teecrooz for getting me started! Big thanks to @Marv as well for helping with a key component!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	186.7 KB 
ID:	758901  
    Last edited by fightercaptured; Sep 15, 2017 at 11:42 AM.
    From
    United Kingdom
    Sep 15, 2017, 12:53 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #607

Now that is sweet
    From
    Florida
    Sep 15, 2017, 3:07 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #608

That's a really nice saber for sure. Hope you find your booster soon.
    From
    South Carolina
    Sep 15, 2017, 3:25 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #609

Great looking photos sir! Oh momma, that looks good! Love the display setup too

Good luck with the booster.
    Sep 15, 2017, 4:17 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #610

Looks Realy cool. One vintage part left for you, alsmost there...
    Still far far away for me ;-)
    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Sep 16, 2017, 1:43 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #611

These are absolutely incredible. I recently learned what it takes to put together a real-parts Obi-Wan hilt, and I'm totally blown away by your guys' commitment to it.
    Sep 16, 2017, 6:32 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #612

@fightercaptured beautiful!
  13. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Sep 16, 2017, 8:30 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #613

O.K. something's been puzzling me the last day, and I finally figured it out...

now, @fightercaptured , even though Chris is The Ridire Grnid ( The Grenade Knight) in my book too, and unquestionably awesome, ya just can't go this far copying him, I mean seriously even the wall coloring matches ......

Here's @teecrooz 's display:

Here's @fightercaptured 's display:

I know you have a list somewhere that reads:
    1. REAL PARTS OBI-WAN Check!
    2. Wood Desk Check!
    3. Signed Photo of Sir Alec Guiness as Obi-Wan Check!
    4. Acrylic Lightsaber Stand Check!
    5. Obi-Wan Kenobi 12" figure Check!
    6. Ti Exactra 19 in Box
    7. Ti Exactra 20 in Box
    8. Browning ANM2 .303 Barrel with Booster and Flash Hider
    9. Browning ANM2 .303 Flash Hider
    10. Armitage Shanks Faucet
    11. GRAFLEX 3-CELL Flash Gun with Reflector
    12. Original GRAFLEX Box
    13. Rolls Royce Derwent Engine Plaque
    14. Rolls Royce Derwent Mk9 Balance Pipe and Holder
    15. NOS Rolls Royce Derwent Mk9 Balance Pipe with Box
    16. Browning ANM2 .303 Booster Bearing Nut
    17. Spare Parts Bin of Ti Bubble Strips and Vintage Transistors
    18. Complete No3 Mk1 Hales Grenade

I must point out, you're only about 1/3 of the way through this list, to continue in this quest is pure folly! It's not too late for you to recover your sanity. Hide your wallet from yourself NOW while you still can!!!

This is all just joshin' ya a bit with some healty ribbing. Your Lightsaber's looking GREAT!

Hopefully we all get to finish our quests before too long!

Good Luck to all of us finding those last elusive parts!!!
    Last edited by Ridire Firean; Sep 17, 2017 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Thanks for the correction Edraven99 "it's a vintage GRAFLEX Box!" and a REAL Bearing ;)
  14. RPF Premium Member Edraven99's Avatar
    Sep 16, 2017, 8:46 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #614

You know... it's kind of sad how much of the above @teecrooz list I actually have lol

(btw... it's a vintage Graflex box, not the manual... and I'm pretty sure his M2 booster bering is vintage and not a replica)
  15. RPF Premium Member fightercaptured's Avatar
    From
    Fayetteville, AR
    Sep 16, 2017, 8:59 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #615

@Ridire Firean I think most of us would love to copy Teecrooz's collection . I already had the Obi figure, but totally admit that seeing his display inspired me to seek out that photo of Sir Alec Guinness.

Thanks for the kind words!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  16. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Sep 16, 2017, 9:42 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #616

fightercaptured said: View Post
    his display inspired me to seek out that photo of Sir Alec Guinness.
    I know what you mean~!

There's a painting that hangs in my grandparents' dining room "GRACE - Charles Wilden praying photographed by Eric Enstrom and painted by Rhonda Nyberg" ...

Name:	GRACE - Charles Wilden praying photographed by Eric Enstrom and painted by Rhonda Nyberg - 01.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	759148

For years I thought it was a painting of my Grandfather... or Obi-Wan with a longer beard.

This painting is forever engraved in my mind. And when I went looking for a photo of our beloved Sir Alec, I came up with this photo / screen capture that engendered the same depth of emotion within me...

Name:	Sir Alec Guinness - as Obi-Wan Kenobi - in Star Wars Epsidode IV A New Hope - with Skywalker GRA.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	759147

The copy I have of this at home is framed a little differently, I'll have to upload it tonight. <--- It prints out in a warmer tone with a lot of chiaroscuro and is quite moving.
    Last edited by Ridire Firean; Sep 16, 2017 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Pictures disappeared there for a second.?.
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Sep 16, 2017, 11:03 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #617

Have you guys seen the all new Hot Toys OB1 figure? Or is this the same figure as used by teecrooz and fightercaptured?

Name:	Hot Toys OB1.jpg 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	759150

Cham

P.S. By the way I just checked and I can use the vintage metal rod that came with the grenade inside my OB1 lighstaber build ... I just have to figure out what kind of vintage end screw to use inside the pommel to keep all the parts together ... only vintage parts allowed
  18. RPF Premium Member Panaflex's Avatar
    From
    Florida
    Sep 16, 2017, 12:08 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #618

Sym-Cha said: View Post
    Have you guys seen the all new Hot Toys OB1 figure? Or is this the same figure as used by teecrooz and fightercaptured?

Cham

P.S. By the way I just checked and I can use the vintage metal rod that came with the grenade inside my OB1 lighstaber build ... I just have to figure out what kind of vintage end screw to use inside the pommel to keep all the parts together ... only vintage parts allowed
    I've pondered this idea for a long time. I figure I can use a tap and die set to create the threads for the pommel end but the rod diameter is all wrong for the threads on the emitter cone which is at this point, still a Roman part. Ideas? How to? Would love to see what can be done as I love the idea of using the grenade rod for assembly.
  19. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Sep 16, 2017, 2:35 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #619

Hey @Sym-Cha ! I think they're different, but probably just older Sideshow versions. Didn't @teecrooz just get a different head from somebody?

One way or the other, those HotToys/Sideshow Obi-Wans are really amazing...

Name:	PD1423889980h3E.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	176.0 KB 
ID:	759176

Name:	PD142388996776r.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	132.3 KB 
ID:	759177

Name:	PD1423889978It7.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	121.7 KB 
ID:	759178
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Sep 16, 2017, 5:44 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #620

@Panaflex here's my vintage metal 'cone' part which is partly magnetic and it has a set screw to hold one end of the rod . . . as for the other end I need a vintage screw/bolt that has the same thread inside as the grenade neck-piece you can see attached here ...

Cham
    Last edited by Sym-Cha; Sep 21, 2017 at 2:38 PM.
  21. RPF Premium Member Panaflex's Avatar
    From
    Florida
    Sep 16, 2017, 6:15 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #621

@Panaflex here's my vintage metal 'cone' part which is partly magnetic and it has a set screw to hold one end of the rod . . . as for the other end I need a vintage screw/bolt that has the same thread inside as the grenade neck-piece you can see attached here ...

Attachment 759204

Cham
    Very cool Chaim. I remember you mentioning the vintage cone, love it.

So your idea for the pommel end is to have just the threads from the neck-piece stick out of the square pommel hole for the nut to attach to? Hmm, this is interesting...
    My dilemma will be the cone end for sure. The cone may wind up being the only non vintage part in the whole saber.
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Sep 16, 2017, 6:53 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #622

Indeed and I do have a little room either in the cone or in the pommel to make a tight fit for all the parts involved ... or at least that's my theory for now .... usually for real there will always be some hurdles to overcome . . . first I have to find a vintage nut to my liking in my dad's stash . . . this is a full time task on it's own mind you

Cham
  23. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Sep 16, 2017, 7:06 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #623

Hey @Sym-Cha ! Do you have a photo of the grenade end of the rod without the "neck-piece" attached?
  24. Chris RPF Premium Member teecrooz's Avatar
    Sep 16, 2017, 7:18 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #624

Cham

The head sculpt looks more like the Jnix and the outer robe looks like a different material than the hot toys one I have. I like it!
  25. Chris RPF Premium Member teecrooz's Avatar
    Sep 16, 2017, 7:27 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #625

Edraven99 said: View Post
    You know... it's kind of sad how much of the above @teecrooz list I actually have lol

(btw... it's a vintage Graflex box, not the manual... and I'm pretty sure his M2 booster bering is vintage and not a replica)
    That's right! It's the full box that the flash and reflector came in. The manual is in the box. And the bearing is a real one. It came with Roman's real booster and I convinced him to sell it to me.

fightercaptured said: View Post
    @Ridire Firean I think most of us would love to copy Teecrooz's collection . I already had the Obi figure, but totally admit that seeing his display inspired me to seek out that photo of Sir Alec Guinness.
    I only bought my signature after seeing @Edraven99's. The reason our collections are similar is because we feed off each other, help each other find things, and message quite a bit. Our plaque's are the same because he sent me one as a gift!