The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group

Looks like I need to find a brass endcap for my grenade, as well as a booster. Blastages! :-/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hey @userd1402 ! It looks like you glued it in there? Did you end up filing off the threads after you hacksawed off the flange from the booster bearing, or did it squeeze in there with them intact?

I smoothed the threads with sandpaper and wrapped a single thickness of sellotape around them before squeezing the bearing into the balance-pipe, but only because it's such a genuine part and I didn't want to damage it.
If it was a replica pipe I would just screw/hammer it in there and damn the surface finish!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work in progress userd1402 . . . and yes I do know this theory which has been around about using the booster bearing inside the emitter, yet it's also known that most original parts were hired from Bapty & Co. Supplying Weaponry and Props Home | Bapty and had to be returned . . . . intact . . . hence my doubts Roger Christian cut up the booster-bearing to accommodate the connection for the emitter to the grenade ... unless he had asked permission to do it or just plain did it whatever the consequences ... russellsch here's the vintage part in question :

BoosterCone01.jpg

BoosterCone02.jpg

Chaïm

Last edited:
I received my dug brass stems from Teecrooz, There are 2 of them.
One is a complete grenade, minus the damaged steel or font parts gone a long time ago, unused grenade.
I will keep as it is.
Other is just a brass rod with windvane, not exploded grenade, I dissasembled it, removed the windvane, kept 2 steel pins for my clean original grenade diplay.
I will modify it on the lathe so I can put my self made fx emitter on it.
Now, all russrep parts from 2010 run are gone, the last part, grenade is just replace by the old one.
And the lightsaber is half-half.
old grenade, clamp, bubble and transistors
self made pommel, booster and emitter.
I will use some original grenade parts for the reveal core.

I've got a question for you all, what's the actual weight of an only real parts Ben Kenobi saber ?

a few grammes/ounces heavier than Scottjua's but it still has the grenade striker-cap brasswork inside plus one and a half steel booster bearings.

2017-06-09 09.30.14.jpg

2017-06-09 09.30.14.jpg

When I cleared up my parents house, I found an interesting vintage part in a bin box in my late dad's shed, said part obviously screamed OB1 out loud to me right away. And eventhough I don't know it's original purpose, it sure has a wonderful shape to become the missing link between the Balance Pipe and the grenade on my all vintage parts OB1 ANH lightsaber. It's magnetic and even has a set screw so I can add it easily to the remaining grenade rod properly without the need for glue.

So I'm very thrilled to reveal this vintage part in all it's glory to you now . . . thanks very much dad!

OB1-Vintage%20Cone-04_zpsfq3nadeu.JPG

Chaïm

Last edited:
Hey Sym-Cha ! Interesting find, did your dad have any small engine projects in the works, weed-whacker/lawnmower/mini-bike/etc. that that part may have come out of?

What's it look like in the emitter/balance pipe?

My dad had all kinds of stuff and tools ... and odd jobs which needed fixing stuff ... I have no clue whatsoever what origin this part is from . . . I like the brass inside as well as the chromed . . . and it's magnetic . . . feels like the force pulling when held up close to the grenade rod :wacko

What does it look like inside the emitter/balance pipe? Bear with me . . . as this work in progress continues . . . slowly :)

Chaïm

Well, here you have it gents and dames, this may well be the highest resolution photo of the Chronicles OBI-WAN KENOBI ANH LIGHTSABER that we get to see...

LIGHTSABER - OBI-WAN KENOBI - ANH - CHRONICLES - TOM JUNG PHOTO AUCTION at Invaluable dot com - .jpg

....UNLESS YOU WIN IT! And if you do, and you don't SUPER-SCAN this bad boy and share it with the rest of us, SHAME ON YOU. If I had $1000.00 floating around to get it, I would. And I'd scan it and post it here because that's what a Jedi Knight would do.

Last edited:
P.S. They do not have the companion photo in the set up for grabs... so no transistor numbers just yet. Now to see if I can find contact info for Tom Jung and see if he ever had the "Button Side" photo!

Hey fezfox ! It's that auction that newmagrathea found. I contacted the folks selling this photo and several others (from Tom Jung's reference collection for the illustrations he did for Star Wars back in the beginning) and inquired if they had the "Button Side" photo as well in the collection that is up for auction. They responded today and said they didn't, but sent me a higher resolution photo of the "Lever Side" photo and wished me "best of luck" on the auction.

So, if you've got a $1000.00 burnin' a hole in your pocket, and newmagrathea isn't in it to win it ;), we'll share the link with you if promise to SUPER-SCAN this image and post it here.

I almost feel like a group buy is in order, but then who gets what?

When I cleared up my parents house, I found an interesting vintage part in a bin box in my late dad's shed, said part obviously screamed OB1 out loud to me right away. And eventhough I don't know it's original purpose, it sure has a wonderful shape to become the missing link between the Balance Pipe and the grenade on my all vintage parts OB1 ANH lightsaber. It's magnetic and even has a set screw so I can add it easily to the remaining grenade rod properly without the need for glue. So I'm very thrilled to reveal this vintage part in all it's glory to you now . . . thanks very much dad :cryhttp://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz258/Sym-Cha/OB1-Vintage Cone-04_zpsfq3nadeu.jpgChaïm
Whats the plan for the other end? I looked at doing something like this but didn't think it would fit under the cap of the knob. Pics of your process please! ��

It would be great to have super scan of all 3 pictures!
It's funny...
Yesterday was thinking about a specific choice on my obi lightsaber after looking again at toe pic Luke photo and ESB vader photo.
And today I see this picture making my choice difficult in fact.
Do you think the bubble is grooved on sides like vader, or just sanded down on back side?
What makes me think it's grooved:
-back window is visible on toe pic, meaning not sanded down, meaning grooved on side to fit
-better to center in the clamp if full height and grooved, everyone know how tricky it is to keep a sanded bubble in place...
what makes me think it's not:
-kind of black line on the photo (clamp edge ?) making think it's lower than a full height bubble
what is not easy is we can't actually see inside the bubble, but this black line is really easy to see, it can also be possible they made both, sanded down a bit and grooved a bit, a tapering is also possible.

ggg.png

Last edited:
Whats the plan for the other end? I looked at doing something like this but didn't think it would fit under the cap of the knob. Pics of your process please! ��

No plan ... I'm making this up while I move along :)

Chaïm

P.S. I wish I could afford that Taun Taun in the other auction ... though I'm not certain it has an armature inside or is a static casting in one pose on that icy rock :wacko

Unless I win the lottery very soon, I'm not going to go for it.

Hey @fezfox ! It's that auction that @newmagrathea found. I contacted the folks selling this photo and several others (from Tom Jung's reference collection for the illustrations he did for Star Wars back in the beginning) and inquired if they had the "Button Side" photo as well in the collection that is up for auction. They responded today and said they didn't, but sent me a higher resolution photo of the "Lever Side" photo and wished me "best of luck" on the auction.

So, if you've got a $1000.00 burnin' a hole in your pocket, and newmagrathea isn't in it to win it ;), we'll share the link with you if promise to SUPER-SCAN this image and post it here.

I almost feel like a group buy is in order, but then who gets what?

Well, here you have it gents and dames, this may well be the highest resolution photo of the Chronicles OBI-WAN KENOBI ANH LIGHTSABER that we get to see...

View attachment 735969

....UNLESS YOU WIN IT! And if you do, and you don't SUPER-SCAN this bad boy and share it with the rest of us, SHAME ON YOU. If I had $1000.00 floating around to get it, I would. And I'd scan it and post it here because that's what a Jedi Knight would do.

Interesting!

The vanes appear to be screwed up really high, completely clearing the holes for the firing pins. Maybe even up past the threads, if my single example is any guide. Can't imagine it would stay up there like that in all the rough and tumble of filming without a little help from glue or solder. And... the balance pipe vent appears to be - gasp! - welded on! Am I seeing this right? Or do I need to quit with the coffee already for today? :)

Interesting!

The vanes appear to be screwed up really high, completely clearing the holes for the firing pins. Maybe even up past the threads, if my single example is any guide. Can't imagine it would stay up there like that in all the rough and tumble of filming without a little help from glue or solder. And... the balance pipe vent appears to be - gasp! - welded on! Am I seeing this right? Or do I need to quit with the coffee already for today? :)

I don't think it's anything quite so complex... the ring was probably loose for the photo shoot. The wind vane ring spins quite freely and they probably just took the picture as is...

For my real parts display I just unscrewed the ring positioned it to where the Chronicles photos had it placed...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back