Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Los Angeles
    Apr 6, 2017, 10:26 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #26

Yours was the first I ever saw James! It's how I caught the fever...
    From
    Plano, TX (Dallas)
    Apr 6, 2017, 10:50 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #27

KhalDrogo said: View Post
    Here's my baby. All real parts. Still need to add the transistors and a d-ring. I'm super nervous about drilling the handwheel for the d-ring, though. Not sure I'll ever add that to mine.

Attachment 719789
    Mine is just a pressure fit and its jammed on there good. It would probably take a lot to get it off the threaded part of the booster.

Yeah I'm skipping the D ring too... I don't want to risk it. Also my sink knob is just pressed onto the booster... mine is not tight, but it won't fall off either.
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Apr 7, 2017, 4:37 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #28

Still need to add a d-ring. I'm super nervous about drilling the handwheel for the d-ring, though. Not sure I'll ever add that to mine.
    Perhaps James Kenobi 1138 could assist? Though you'll have to take the pommel off the saber ... here's James's tutorial :

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=113901

scottjua said: View Post
    Yeah I'm skipping the D ring too... I don't want to risk it.
    Even if you did get your hands on a real vintage G R A F L E X case D-ring?

Cham
    From
    Plano, TX (Dallas)
    Apr 7, 2017, 10:17 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #29

Here's my baby. All real parts. Still need to add the transistors and a d-ring. I'm super nervous about drilling the handwheel for the d-ring, though. Not sure I'll ever add that to mine.

Attachment 719789
    Mine is just a pressure fit and its jammed on there good. It would probably take a lot to get it off the threaded part of the booster.
    Sym-Cha said: View Post
    Perhaps James Kenobi 1138 could assist? Though you'll have to take the pommel off the saber ... here's James's tutorial :

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=113901

Even if you did get your hands on a real vintage G R A F L E X case D-ring?

Cham
    But I haven't
    From
    Kansas City MO
    Apr 7, 2017, 10:37 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #30

I'm only half way there.

One day I'll get the last couple parts (the really expensive parts)
    From
    Vancouver, BC. Canada
    Apr 7, 2017, 12:42 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #31

scottjua said: View Post
    Yeah I'm skipping the D ring too... I don't want to risk it. Also my sink knob is just pressed onto the booster... mine is not tight, but it won't fall off either.
    I drilled mine and Edraven's and it went pretty easily. Nerve racking, yes, but it's done!

Still don't have an actual D-ring in yet... but the hole is there for it.

Do iiiiit.
    From
    Kansas City MO
    Apr 7, 2017, 1:16 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #32

Oh man drilling is the hard part, putting it on is easy. I'm still scared to drill mine.

NeoRutty said: View Post
    I drilled mine and Edraven's and it went pretty easily. Nerve racking, yes, but it's done!

Still don't have an actual D-ring in yet... but the hole is there for it.

Do iiiiit.
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Apr 7, 2017, 1:55 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #33

At times I wished I would have been content with my very, very first ready made OB1 ANH replica lightsaber ... I presume made by Parks (?) ... it already looked remarkebly old and vintage to me before Russrep and Romans Empire took over . . . so before I post my all real vintage parts lightsaber when it will be completed ... here's what made me really excited back in 2005 or so :

Now let's return to adding multiple pictures of those real vintage parts lightsabers ...

Cham
    Last edited by Sym-Cha; Sep 21, 2017 at 2:02 PM.
  9. RPF Premium Member Edraven99's Avatar
    Apr 7, 2017, 3:24 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #34

Actually both of my display sink knobs are drilled if anyone wants to do a swap for one that isn't drilled... however, both are re-chromed, one has a small flake out of it because the dumba** I see when I look into a mirror accidentally dropped it, and the other is a bath knob and would need to have a hacksaw taken to the inside stem to make the booster fit properly...
    From
    Germany
    Apr 7, 2017, 3:39 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #35

I can't stress enough how much i want a real perts Obi but i know i will never own one due for it's uber-rare and even more expensive parts!
    My wife would kill me... probably at night with a real parts saber hit while i'm sleeping...

Anyway, i can drool over all these pictures at least! Gorgeous!
    Apr 7, 2017, 4:21 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #36

I can't wait to post in this thread as well. Just waiting for the grenade (it's only been like 8 years ) to complete everything. This is what happens when you are picky about accuracy and trying to find a grenade in good condition at the same time. Still holding out hope that it will happen one day
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Apr 8, 2017, 4:41 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #37

@Shinobi ... you are allowed to show pictures of your vintage saber in progress even if some parts are still replicas as long as you mention it, that way we also get a clear picture how many rpf members are collecting vintage parts and how many are being build at this moment in time

Cham
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Apr 10, 2017, 1:17 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #38

This thread will be the push that gets mine finished this weekend! I wanna play!
    And ... did you get yours finished?

Cham
  14. RPF Premium Member NeoRutty's Avatar
    From
    Vancouver, BC. Canada
    Apr 10, 2017, 1:22 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #39

Sym-Cha said: View Post
    And ... did you get yours finished?

Cham
    Ended up spending most of my weekend looking for a place to live/store my props. heh.

I DID get the D-ring on, but now want to redo that... I cut some of it away to make it easier to get on, and now when it flops to one side, you can see it opened (if that makes sense). My OCD is going to have me redoing it. So I'll get one added into my Roy order in the next weeks.

Tonight I just gotta shave down the bubble strip, and I'll post something as an "in the mean time" version

I also took a bunch of paint off the grenade, and am still trying to get just the right weathered look.

So all that said... nope.

But I'll post something tonight, cuz now that I have to be moved in 3 weeks, I may not get to mess around with anything for a bit.
    Last edited by NeoRutty; Apr 10, 2017 at 1:36 PM.
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Apr 10, 2017, 2:28 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #40

Why not add a piece of the same size wire with some JB weld inbetween to cover that gap in your D? That's the prop-makers way of fixing your OCD Looking forward to your pictures

Cham
  16. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Apr 10, 2017, 5:48 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #41

Hey @NeoRutty ! When I installed the D-ring on my Roman's MK1 FX I just spread it open with a set of needle nose pliers just far enough open to slip over the cube, and then I crimped it back shut with the inner jaw grooves of some Channel Lock pliers and the round cutouts of my crimping needle nose pliers. Didn't cut any of the D-ring ends off or anything. Works just fine! In fact, I can tell it's not 100% parallel in there because it hangs up ever so slightly, which is fine by me because it means that it cannot flop around at all! It moves when I want it to, but not on its own. I only wish I had wrapped the pliers before crimping the D-ring back shut as they bit into the D-ring somehow. I thought I was being careful, but it's nothing I couldn't fix with a little sand paper. I keep meaning to ask @Romans Empire if the D-rings are stainless steel or just chromed mild steel. I guess I could just slap a magnet on it and see if it sticks, hmmm... well, that settles that, it's chromed mild steel. Maybe that's why I never sanded it? Oh well, I'm better prepared for the next one I suppose!
  17. RPF Premium Member NeoRutty's Avatar
    From
    Vancouver, BC. Canada
    Apr 10, 2017, 5:59 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #42

Ridire Firean said: View Post
    Hey @NeoRutty ! When I installed the D-ring on my Roman's MK1 FX I just spread it open with a set of needle nose pliers just far enough open to slip over the cube, and then I crimped it back shut with the inner jaw grooves of some Channel Lock pliers and the round cutouts of my crimping needle nose pliers. Didn't cut any of the D-ring ends off or anything. Works just fine! In fact, I can tell it's not 100% parallel in there because it hangs up ever so slightly, which is fine by me because it means that it cannot flop around at all! It moves when I want it to, but not on its own. I only wish I had wrapped the pliers before crimping the D-ring back shut as they bit into the D-ring somehow. I thought I was being careful, but it's nothing I couldn't fix with a little sand paper. I keep meaning to ask @Romans Empire if the D-rings are stainless steel or just chromed mild steel. I guess I could just slap a magnet on it and see if it sticks, hmmm... well, that settles that, it's chromed mild steel. Maybe that's why I never sanded it? Oh well, I'm better prepared for the next one I suppose!
    The last D-ring I tried it on, the pliers chewed holes in it while trying to seperate. This I was able to open easily once the cuts were made cuz I could hook on of the ends on an edge and pull.

When I squeezed it back together it went so easily I realized that if I could just pull it open without the cuts, this would work much better... and I figured a way to pull them apart... just need to get another D-ring (the others I have are slightly too thick to get into the hole)
  18. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Apr 10, 2017, 6:26 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #43

The last D-ring I tried it on, the pliers chewed holes in it while trying to seperate.
    EEEK!!! Just put a set of needle nose pliers inside the D and open them. VOILA!
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Apr 10, 2017, 7:36 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #44

Question : Which position of the pommel cubes would you prefer and why ... the ones as seen on the Tunesia lightsaber (1st in below picture) or the ones seen in the after production pictures?

Cham
    Last edited by Sym-Cha; Sep 21, 2017 at 2:02 PM.
  20. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Apr 10, 2017, 7:50 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #45

Hey @Sym-Cha ! I have my Roman's MK1 FX set up more like the Chronicles version where there is a cube lined up with the Bubble Card and the D-ring Cube is about 5 Booster Fins from the Lever-side edge of the Clamp Card Holder.

Reason: It orients both the Bubble Card and the Transistors out away from my leg when hanging on my lightsaber belt so that both are visible to anyone looking at it while I'm wearing it. Even if it is mostly just me looking at myself in the mirror.

It also allows the D-ring to act as a kickstand for the lightsaber and points the Bubble Strip straight up when I set it down on my shelf.
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Apr 10, 2017, 8:11 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #46

Thanks Ridire Firean ... perhaps I should have been more clear since I also refered my inquiry to the position of the longer vs. shorter slope/angle of the pommel cubes itself

The Tunesia lightsaber has the original postion as they came on the water tabs ... whereas the Mechanismo/Chronicles pictures have them turned 180 as seen here :

Cham
    Last edited by Sym-Cha; Sep 21, 2017 at 2:03 PM.
  22. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Apr 10, 2017, 8:27 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #47

Ahh! In that case, Chronicles there too.

Reason: It makes the lightsaber more aerodynamic when Force Locked On and thrown at the enemy.

No, really, I guess it's just because that's the way it looks in the Chronicles photo. I continue to forget that the cubes are oriented differently in the On Screen Shots. I guess mine is a real mess, 'cuz I have two washers on mine as well. I really like how @scottjua has his single washer on top of his rear Transistor. I have to remember to check for his thread to see what he used for it!
  23. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Apr 10, 2017, 8:44 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #48

I just thought of an argument for setting up the cubes with the longer edge towards the emitter as seen in the On Screen Shots that has nothing to do with the fact that it was seen that way on the screen...

When the lightsaber is viewed from the emitter end, the angle of the cubes seem more symmetrical. Kind of like how Michaelangelo carved his David with a giant head and hands, since it was meant to be viewed from below while the statue was high above on a pedestal. In doing so it made David's head and hands look like they were the correct size, and not wee bitty Whopper Jr. Hands and head. Thus, if you were more inclined to show your lightsaber from the business end, the emitter, you could orient your cubes On Screen Shot Style to convey to the viewer/fool them that the cube edges were symmetrical.

Or something like that. BEER!
  24. RPF Premium Member NeoRutty's Avatar
    From
    Vancouver, BC. Canada
    Apr 11, 2017, 1:10 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #49

Okay so here's where I'm at, missing one pretty important part... the bubble strip... and this JUST happened today!

So we're moving, and when showing our place to the people who ended up buying, our realtor moved a few things around in my area just to make it look a little more presentable. No biggie. I knew that was a possiblity... BUT NOT THAT DAY.

I had my bubble strip on the work station with tape and ready to sand down... I went looking for it for this pic, and I can't find it ANYWHERE on my desk.

Not gonna panic, I'm sure it will turn up as I pack over the next few days. But if it IS missing... oh man. The search will go on?!

ANYWAY, with a temp Wannawanga bubble strip, here's where it's at...

[

I may bug my dealer (Teecrooz) for lower profile transistors... but for the most part, all parts are accounted for (well... one is MIA... but it's here)

I'll update with proper pics down the line.
  25. RPF Premium Member veektohr's Avatar
    From
    Los Angeles
    Apr 11, 2017, 1:12 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #50

Stunning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk