Subscribe
    From
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Jun 15, 2017, 5:34 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #426

parfaitelumiere said: View Post
    Attachment 736543

This is what I finally did.
    I did this too - almost. I went a little too far so now mine is under the clamp bars.. To trim the corners like that...it keeps the board from sliding back and forth I see!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3423.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	785.9 KB 
ID:	736618
    From
    Florida
    Jun 15, 2017, 7:05 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #427

thd9791 said: View Post
    I did this too - almost. I went a little too far so now mine is under the clamp bars.. To trim the corners like that...it keeps the board from sliding back and forth I see!

Name:	DSCN3423.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	785.9 KB 
ID:	736618
    I like it. I went the same way.
    From
    Philadelphia, PA, USA
    Jun 16, 2017, 4:09 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #428

russellsch said: View Post
    I does look like the bubble strip is outside, or on top, of the clamp lever.
    I used to think this until I saw this new higher res image. Now I can see the reflective top of the closer rail, and the inside edge of the farther rail.

I'd also like to point out this shadow, which shows that the rail is higher than the flat surface of the bubble strip:

Name:	clampshadow.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	736852

Would a straight up "pinch method" assembly still be able to cast this shadow? I quite like @parfaitelumiere's solution of sort of splitting the difference. Also, do we know if Roger Christian personally built the Obi-Wan or Vader sabers for ANH as well? I suspect the bubble strip on the ANH Graflex is fully beneath the rails because of how low the bubbles sit in this photo:

Name:	0n.jpeg 
Views:	32 
Size:	125.7 KB 
ID:	736854
  4. RPF Premium Member parfaitelumiere's Avatar
    Jun 16, 2017, 4:16 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #429

I did agree with you in a first time and I tried to make a picture...

Name:	19339827_1463056920431654_761893361_o.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	150.5 KB 
ID:	736860
    I made a attempt and in fact the red circled part is not the bubble ,but the clamp bar.
    The bubble is on the top on the shade, and you can see mine is even lower than the original picture but it's because of the very small chamfering I made on the edge.
    It's also easy to see there is no way to see the frosty fully rounded or other bubble version on the picture, so the choice remains free.
    When I put the clamp on the side like the graflex photo, the visible part of the bubble is also about same height than on the picture, a bit less than the clamp rails, where the bubble goes, but I think my bubble is actually a small bit higher than the one on the graflex saber on the second picture on your message.

I think they probably less or more sanded the underside of bubble and made chamfering as I did so it can match a closed clamp, without moving and without centering issues, it's very easy to do, easier than fixing a moving narrow fully sanded bubble like the one I made for my vintage lightsaber.
    Last edited by parfaitelumiere; Jun 16, 2017 at 4:56 PM.
    From
    Philadelphia, PA, USA
    Jun 16, 2017, 5:46 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #430

parfaitelumiere said: View Post
    I made a attempt and in fact the red circled part is not the bubble ,but the clamp bar.
    Ohhhhh, I see! Excellent photo comparison. Is your bubble strip clear, not frosted? If so, I wonder if that suggests a frosted strip on the Obi prop, since the light does not pass through it in the same way it does in your photo. It is a strong direct light.
  6. RPF Premium Member parfaitelumiere's Avatar
    Jun 17, 2017, 1:30 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #431

Your idea is good, I think the clear shade on my picture is due to the bubble itself one of the magnifier, and on this area, frosted and not frosted are identical, I admit I was thinking about something like this when I saw the lighter shade on the area, but not sure about it.
    Thickness could be the solution.
    If I remember correctly frosted have two steps window, one step on each end, making a 2" large window to allow the red plastic parts underneath, and then a second window, same size as the bubble rank alone.
    It would be interesting to know the frosted bubble thicnkess with no trimming at all once the ends are cut, I think it may be a bit thinner than the most common bubble, meaning no need to sand it down for a obi saber, just tapering and ends cutting.
    What makes me think obi bubble can be a frosted is more the vader anh lightsaber, it has a frosted bubble type exactra board, but without bubble, so the bubble can be somewhere else, obi saber?
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Jun 17, 2017, 6:07 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #432

Jedi Reali said: View Post
    Also, do we know if Roger Christian personally built the Obi-Wan or Vader sabers for ANH as well?
    Roger Shaw build the OB1 ANH lightsaber as you can see from this screenshot from part of a page of Roger Christian's Book : 'Cinema Alchemist' ...

https://books.google.nl/books?id=iGL...page&q&f=false

Cham
    Last edited by Sym-Cha; 4 Weeks Ago at 2:29 PM.
  8. Member Since
    Apr 2016
    From
    'Merica
    Jun 17, 2017, 9:02 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #433

So I'm going to bring this back to beauty pics for a second and show off what can be accomplished by a night spent in a bonfire pit.

Bought a snipped male balance pipe from Roman about 6 months ago and wanted to return the clean shaved surface back to a nice used look. Pulling from what a couple members here mentioned I tossed it in my neighbors pit last night, from 7:30 pm to 6:30am this morning, washed it up, and this is its current state (with a zoomed in poor quality pic of before). Not sure if replica pipes will do the same but could try I guess. I LIKE IT, a little fine tuning perhaps but it's about where I want it already.

Name:	IMG_1470.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	109.7 KB 
ID:	736955Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1626.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	580.7 KB 
ID:	736956Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1627.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	557.8 KB 
ID:	736957Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1628.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	665.3 KB 
ID:	736958
    Jun 17, 2017, 1:38 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #434

Grenade question...

My stem is majorly stuck in the frag body. I can't budge it a mm. I tried soaking that connection overnight in coke. No change. I've had wd-40 on it about 5 hours now...still no give.

Anything else I can do or is it perma-stuck?

If it's stuck - i'm thinking getting a bolt in the head to attach to the emitter is going to be less than fun.

Even though it's 1918 ish - i assum CCW is tighten, CW is loosen? yes? I have tried both directions to no avail.
    From
    Washington DC
    Jun 17, 2017, 1:49 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #435

Two different materials. Is there maybe something you can do with selective heating/cooling to get the steel frag body to expand a bit relative to the brass? Would that be safe?

I could ask the materials experts at work what might be going on there corrosion-wise, and what would be safe to try. But, you would need to wait a month until I get back from multiple trips. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Jun 17, 2017, 1:53 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #436

Takes a good deal more to heat the steel to expansion than it does for brass. I did try freezing it 24ish hours as well.
  12. RPF Premium Member Panaflex's Avatar
    From
    Florida
    Jun 17, 2017, 2:41 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #437

Just a suggestion: Orient the whole assembly stem down, spray enough WD-40 into the frag body so that it pools (cup-like) on top of the stem in the bottom. Let sit for a few days to allow gravity to pull the liquid deeper into the threads and try another time to loosen the stem.

My two cents...
    Jun 17, 2017, 2:45 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #438

Fll the cup with 3 inches of WD 40?
  14. RPF Premium Member Panaflex's Avatar
    From
    Florida
    Jun 17, 2017, 7:59 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #439

I think 3" might be a bit much but enough so that it would pool a bit. You'll have to plug the stem as well so it doesn't run out of the bottom.
  15. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Jun 17, 2017, 8:46 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #440

Hey @cboath ! Any pics of your grenade to share? The condition of it might effect how you would want to proceed.
  16. RPF Premium Member NeoRutty's Avatar
    From
    Vancouver, BC. Canada
    Jun 18, 2017, 1:03 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #441

cboath said: View Post
    Grenade question...

My stem is majorly stuck in the frag body. I can't budge it a mm. I tried soaking that connection overnight in coke. No change. I've had wd-40 on it about 5 hours now...still no give.

Anything else I can do or is it perma-stuck?

If it's stuck - i'm thinking getting a bolt in the head to attach to the emitter is going to be less than fun.

Even though it's 1918 ish - i assum CCW is tighten, CW is loosen? yes? I have tried both directions to no avail.
    I had this problem.

I broke my pin off the neck trying to get it off... so BE CAREFUL.

Here's what I ended up doing... (assuming I'm understanding correctly what your sitch is)

I soaked it in deep creep (I believe that's what it's called) it's a spray for rusted bolts.

I had it in a clamp, and used rubber, a small screwdriver and a wrench.... leverage did it all. finally moved.

Did this TWICE (when I got a different neck off of Edraven)

Here's a link to pics of my setup:

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=225882&page=7

post 172
  17. RPF Premium Member parfaitelumiere's Avatar
    Jun 18, 2017, 1:48 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #442

Like Fusion said, heating, then it will be very easy to dissassemble.
    Jun 18, 2017, 8:18 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #443

Any recommendations on the heating? Oven? Boiling? Temp? How long? etc?
    @NeoRutty seems that heat helped you out a lot too. That was a good post on what all you went through to get yours apart. I've seen the screw driver ref a few times, but i can't get a decent sized on through the hole, though it looks like it shouldn't be much issue. Might need to pick up a phillips head or two
  19. RPF Premium Member parfaitelumiere's Avatar
    Jun 18, 2017, 8:31 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #444

I used a gaz flame gun...
    heat to 200c or so, maybe more I don't remember, I made it using the color, when hot the material takes different color easy to see on steel, gets yellow, then blue then gray then starting to get red but making light, then orange etc...to incandescent yellow-white but if you get this color it's too hot aha.
    Jun 18, 2017, 8:37 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #445

200 is pretty much 400F - all i have for heating is oven/stove. No flame gun, though i understand it's advantage here.
  21. RPF Premium Member parfaitelumiere's Avatar
    Jun 18, 2017, 9:16 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #446

what is you oven max temperature, you don't have a cooking gaz plate , it can work, if you can already get higher than boiling water, then you can put some wd 40 as it's still hot, I think it can help.
  22. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Jun 18, 2017, 10:05 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #447

Hey @cboath ! I think what parfaitelumiere is refering to is a Propane Torch.

Check HomeDepot or Lowes, etc. for:

Bernzomatic UL100 Basic Propane Torch Kit

Bernzomatic TS3000KC Self Igniting Torch Kit

Get some long handle tongs too if you don't have any, you won't be able to hold onto the grenade body with thick-leather gloved hands for very long as the heat builds up insanely fast.
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Jun 18, 2017, 10:49 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #448

Sym-Cha said: View Post
    Roger Shaw build the OB1 ANH lightsaber as you can see from this screenshot from part of a page of Roger Christian's Book : 'Cinema Alchemist' ...

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/z...psqdkdrktc.png

https://books.google.nl/books?id=iGL...page&q&f=false

Cham
    Wow ... I reveal who made the illustrous OB1 ANH lightsaber . . . and no comments whatsoever . . . . . all you folks do is yapp about a stuck grenade . . . on and on ...

Cham
    From
    Washington DC
    Jun 18, 2017, 11:35 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #449

I am going to run out and buy a copy of that book right now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Jun 18, 2017, 12:23 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #450

Sym-Cha said: View Post
    Wow ... I reveal who made the illustrous OB1 ANH lightsaber . . . and no comments whatsoever . . . . . all you folks do is yapp about a stuck grenade . . . on and on ...

Cham
    Sorry my problem takes some spotlight away...

FWIW, the oven will get over 500F