Subscribe
  1. RPF Premium Member Edraven99's Avatar
    Jun 13, 2017, 2:03 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #401

Sym-Cha said: View Post
    So ... what's the general consensus ... symmetric or a-symmetric grenade? This picture remains quite confused ... especially how the bubblestrip is attached ... or perhaps it was just loosely added on top/inbetween?

Cham
    It's symmetric... you can tell by the > shape at the top of the first groove and that the top frag pieces appear to have a \__/ shape...
    From
    Florida
    Jun 13, 2017, 2:15 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #402

So hard to tell on the grenade, mine plays the same tricks; some cuts look straight, others curve a bit. That's how it goes I guess with hand made items.
  3. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Jun 13, 2017, 2:27 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #403

Fusion said: View Post
    And... the balance pipe vent appears to be - gasp! - welded on! Am I seeing this right?
    I was thinking that little hole on the GRAFLEX Clamp looked more like it was filled with JB-Weld than Hales Grenade. And then it could be a similar epoxy in the balance pipe and in between the booster and the sink knob if I imagine it not being dirt/dust.

Too, the dents in the GRAFLEX Clamp make it look like it was dinged that way to make it a tighter fit on the end of the grenade. I'd say the balance pipe dings look purposeful for just that reason too, just like everyone always tries to replicate, but now I'm seeing it more like "over-gooped" wiped-offish epoxy or even paint rather than dents.
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Jun 13, 2017, 4:00 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #404

I always wondered why Master Replicas made that extra connection between the neck and the emitter

Cham
  5. RPF Premium Member parfaitelumiere's Avatar
    Jun 14, 2017, 4:01 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #405

The master replica inspiration is easy to see, it's the archive pictures, maybe they have a higher resolution?
    Last edited by parfaitelumiere; Jun 14, 2017 at 5:44 AM.
  6. Chris RPF Premium Member teecrooz's Avatar
    Jun 14, 2017, 7:15 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #406

parfaitelumiere said: View Post
    The master replica inspiration is easy to see, it's the archive pictures, maybe they have a higher resolution?
    They didn't. I have copies of their reference files.
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Jun 14, 2017, 7:21 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #407

I turned the picture 180 as it was photographed and cleared it up in PS with levels . . . a little mystery how that bubblestrip is attached . . . as well as the 'cone' section between emitter and grenade neck

Cham
    Last edited by Sym-Cha; Sep 21, 2017 at 3:28 PM.
  8. RPF Premium Member parfaitelumiere's Avatar
    Jun 14, 2017, 8:12 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #408

Cham check the #395
    Chris, nothing better than we all have, maybe they get more informations from staff or so?!
    From
    South Carolina
    Jun 14, 2017, 11:02 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #409

I does look like the bubble strip is outside, or on top, of the clamp lever.
  10. RPF Premium Member Edraven99's Avatar
    Jun 14, 2017, 12:16 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #410

russellsch said: View Post
    I does look like the bubble strip is outside, or on top, of the clamp lever.
    I disagree... if you take a look at the top of the strip closest to the emitter, you can see the clamp edge... and you can actually follow that line through the bubble lenses...
  11. Valar Morghulis RPF Premium Member Serenity's Avatar
    From
    over there
    Jun 14, 2017, 2:35 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #411

Since we're revisiting things again...

Exactra strip - Frosted or clear edges?

I have a clear one on my saber now, but I've been debating if I want to swap it to a frosted version.
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Jun 14, 2017, 3:28 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #412

I enhanced the bubblestrip ... any thoughts what we're looking at? In between the clamp lips ... frosted or not?

Did the same with the emitter connection ... JB Weld as suggested or painted superglue?

Cham
  13. RPF Premium Member parfaitelumiere's Avatar
    Jun 14, 2017, 3:39 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #413

Welded , explaining why they sanded the grenade front before welding...
    No way to know for the bubble, frosted or not, sanded or not, no way to get sure from this picture.
    It needs a better scan, who is ok to win the auction and make ultra hd scan?
    Or maybe it's possible to get a larger resolution without buying the photography?
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Jun 14, 2017, 3:58 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #414

Resolution upgrade ... better?

Cham
  15. RPF Premium Member userd1402's Avatar
    From
    UK
    Jun 14, 2017, 5:43 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #415

JB Weld as suggested or painted superglue?
    Cham
    Everyone keeps using that brand-name but did 'JBWeld' exist back then?
    Jun 14, 2017, 6:14 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #416

userd1402 said: View Post
    JB-weld started in 1969, so yeah, but regular epoxy resins have been around since the late thirties. I don't think that the prop department would have used JB-weld per say, but some kind of epoxy resin would defiantly be in their bag of tricks.
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Jun 14, 2017, 6:14 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #417

userd1402 said: View Post
    It was around in the 60s. That was a very common leaky muffler fix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jun 14, 2017, 6:25 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #418

To the topic of the weight of the ANH:OB1. It would appear from previous posts that a vintage parts ANH:OB1 weighs around 1kg, much heavier than a vintage parts graflex ANH Luke hilt which I've just weighed myself at 200g. Even my Romans' ANH:OB1 weighs 500g.

Either way, its a pretty heavy thing to have dangling from your belt and bouncing around near your nethers, I wonder how Sir Alec Guinness felt about that?
  19. RPF Premium Member Anakin Starkiller's Avatar
    From
    Rochester, NY
    Jun 14, 2017, 8:54 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #419

scarf man said: View Post
    JB-weld started in 1969, so yeah, but regular epoxy resins have been around since the late thirties. I don't think that the prop department would have used JB-weld per say, but some kind of epoxy resin would defiantly be in their bag of tricks.
    Just a bit of info. Jb weld was used on Trek props. Doesnt mean anything exactly about SW. But at least its not unheard of for prop makers to have used it back in the day
    Jun 14, 2017, 11:11 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #420

Anakin Starkiller said: View Post
    Just a bit of info. Jb weld was used on Trek props. Doesnt mean anything exactly about SW. But at least its not unheard of for prop makers to have used it back in the day
    I was thinking more in terms of distribution of JB-weld in the UK in the late seventies, hence the "per say". That's a cool bit of info on the Trek props. Must have been late in the last season I'd guess.
    From
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Jun 14, 2017, 11:38 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #421

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps7wrf7qoz.png

I enhanced the bubblestrip ... any thoughts what we're looking at? In between the clamp lips ... frosted or not?

Did the same with the emitter connection ... JB Weld as suggested or painted superglue?

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/z...pssykqvrxp.png

Cham
    the glue or welding job does seem to expand inside the balance pipe. This to me suggests a plug/spacer in addition to the adhesive.
  22. RPF Premium Member parfaitelumiere's Avatar
    Jun 15, 2017, 4:43 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #422

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5439.PNG 
Views:	121 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	736543

This is what I finally did.
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Jun 15, 2017, 5:01 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #423

That's nice parfaitelumiere ... though I doubt I will go that far as to sanding those edges ... when I finally come to put my bubblestrip in the clamp

Cham
    From
    South Carolina
    Jun 15, 2017, 8:07 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #424

parfaitelumiere said: View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5439.PNG 
Views:	121 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	736543

This is what I finally did.
    That's beautiful! The sides of my bubble strip are nowhere near as nice as yours.
  25. RPF Premium Member parfaitelumiere's Avatar
    Jun 15, 2017, 9:09 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #425

Since I took the pics, I have made more settings, and polishing, as I did on my vader board.