Subscribe
  1. Hodor RPF Premium Member KhalDrogo's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2011
    From
    Long Beach, CA, US
    Messages
    1,310
    3 Weeks Ago  Jun 2, 2017, 3:55 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #376

    *Mechanismo
  2. scarf man's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2002
    Messages
    1,755
    3 Weeks Ago  Jun 2, 2017, 4:44 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #377

  3. Sym-Cha's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2008
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Messages
    4,680
    3 Weeks Ago  Jun 6, 2017, 7:20 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #378



    What's inside the emitter to hold the Balance Pipe to the No.3MkI grenade section . . . still remains a mystery

    Cham
  4. RPF Premium Member userd1402's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2015
    From
    UK
    Messages
    283
    3 Weeks Ago  Jun 6, 2017, 8:36 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #379

    Sym-Cha said: View Post
    What's inside the emitter to hold the Balance Pipe to the No.3MkI grenade section . . . still remains a mystery
    Cham

    Threaded end of an ANM2 booster-bearing;

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Userd1402-ANH.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	2.13 MB 
ID:	734324

    My own thread explains my theory about the contents of the Tunisia hero saber;
    http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php...=1#post4257508


  5. russellsch's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2015
    Messages
    771
    3 Weeks Ago  Jun 6, 2017, 8:48 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #380

    userd1402 said: View Post



    Threaded end of an ANM2 booster-bearing;

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Userd1402-ANH.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	2.13 MB 
ID:	734324

    My own thread explains my theory about the contents of the Tunisia hero saber;
    http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php...=1#post4257508


    That's beautiful! I'm not familiar with that part. I'm trying to figure out the connecting of balance pipe to the saber body.
  6. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Messages
    389
    3 Weeks Ago  Jun 6, 2017, 10:47 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #381

    userd1402 said: View Post
    Threaded end of an ANM2 booster-bearing;
    Hey @userd1402 ! It looks like you glued it in there? Did you end up filing off the threads after you hacksawed off the flange from the booster bearing, or did it squeeze in there with them intact?
  7. RPF Premium Member Fusion's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2016
    Messages
    114
    3 Weeks Ago  Jun 6, 2017, 11:04 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #382

    Looks like I need to find a brass endcap for my grenade, as well as a booster. Blastages! :-/


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  8. RPF Premium Member userd1402's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2015
    From
    UK
    Messages
    283
    3 Weeks Ago  Jun 6, 2017, 12:01 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #383

    Ridire Firean said: View Post
    Hey @userd1402 ! It looks like you glued it in there? Did you end up filing off the threads after you hacksawed off the flange from the booster bearing, or did it squeeze in there with them intact?
    I smoothed the threads with sandpaper and wrapped a single thickness of sellotape around them before squeezing the bearing into the balance-pipe, but only because it's such a genuine part and I didn't want to damage it.
    If it was a replica pipe I would just screw/hammer it in there and damn the surface finish!
    Last edited by userd1402; 2 Weeks Ago at 5:36 PM.
  9. Sym-Cha's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2008
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Messages
    4,680
    3 Weeks Ago  Jun 6, 2017, 12:56 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #384

    Nice work in progress @userd1402 . . . and yes I do know this theory which has been around about using the booster bearing inside the emitter, yet it's also known that most original parts were hired from Bapty & Co. Supplying Weaponry and Props http://www.bapty.co.uk/ and had to be returned . . . . intact . . . hence my doubts Roger Christian cut up the booster-bearing to accommodate the connection for the emitter to the grenade ... unless he had asked permission to do it or just plain did it whatever the consequences ... @russellsch here's the vintage part in question :





    Cham
  10. RPF Premium Member parfaitelumiere's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2010
    Messages
    675
    2 Weeks Ago  Jun 8, 2017, 11:57 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #385

    I received my dug brass stems from Teecrooz, There are 2 of them.
    One is a complete grenade, minus the damaged steel or font parts gone a long time ago, unused grenade.
    I will keep as it is.
    Other is just a brass rod with windvane, not exploded grenade, I dissasembled it, removed the windvane, kept 2 steel pins for my clean original grenade diplay.
    I will modify it on the lathe so I can put my self made fx emitter on it.
    Now, all russrep parts from 2010 run are gone, the last part, grenade is just replace by the old one.
    And the lightsaber is half-half.
    old grenade, clamp, bubble and transistors
    self made pommel, booster and emitter.
    I will use some original grenade parts for the reveal core.
  11. RPF Premium Member userd1402's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2015
    From
    UK
    Messages
    283
    2 Weeks Ago  Jun 9, 2017, 3:42 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #386

    FolkyPatrol said: View Post
    I've got a question for you all, what's the actual weight of an only real parts Ben Kenobi saber ?
    a few grammes/ounces heavier than Scottjua's but it still has the grenade striker-cap brasswork inside plus one and a half steel booster bearings.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-06-09 09.30.14.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	3.28 MB 
ID:	735038
  12. Sym-Cha's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2008
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Messages
    4,680
    2 Weeks Ago  Jun 12, 2017, 2:29 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #387

    When I cleared up my parents house, I found an interesting vintage part in a bin box in my late dad's shed, said part obviously screamed OB1 out loud to me right away. And eventhough I don't know it's original purpose, it sure has a wonderful shape to become the missing link between the Balance Pipe and the grenade on my all vintage parts OB1 ANH lightsaber. It's magnetic and even has a set screw so I can add it easily to the remaining grenade rod properly without the need for glue.

    So I'm very thrilled to reveal this vintage part in all it's glory to you now . . . thanks very much dad



    Cham
  13. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Messages
    389
    2 Weeks Ago  Jun 12, 2017, 5:46 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #388

    Hey @Sym-Cha ! Interesting find, did your dad have any small engine projects in the works, weed-whacker/lawnmower/mini-bike/etc. that that part may have come out of?

    What's it look like in the emitter/balance pipe?
  14. Sym-Cha's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2008
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Messages
    4,680
    2 Weeks Ago  Jun 12, 2017, 7:50 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #389

    My dad had all kinds of stuff and tools ... and odd jobs which needed fixing stuff ... I have no clue whatsoever what origin this part is from . . . I like the brass inside as well as the chromed . . . and it's magnetic . . . feels like the force pulling when held up close to the grenade rod

    What does it look like inside the emitter/balance pipe? Bear with me . . . as this work in progress continues . . . slowly

    Cham
  15. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Messages
    389
    2 Weeks Ago  Jun 12, 2017, 9:19 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #390

    Well, here you have it gents and dames, this may well be the highest resolution photo of the Chronicles OBI-WAN KENOBI ANH LIGHTSABER that we get to see...

    Name:  LIGHTSABER - OBI-WAN KENOBI - ANH - CHRONICLES - TOM JUNG PHOTO AUCTION at Invaluable dot com - .jpg
Views: 178
Size:  329.3 KB


    ....UNLESS YOU WIN IT! And if you do, and you don't SUPER-SCAN this bad boy and share it with the rest of us, SHAME ON YOU. If I had $1000.00 floating around to get it, I would. And I'd scan it and post it here because that's what a Jedi Knight would do.
    Last edited by Ridire Firean; 2 Weeks Ago at 9:25 PM. Reason: typo
  16. fezfox's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2017
    Messages
    8
    2 Weeks Ago  Jun 12, 2017, 9:22 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #391

    @Ridire Firean. Win what?
  17. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Messages
    389
    2 Weeks Ago  Jun 12, 2017, 9:24 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #392

    P.S. They do not have the companion photo in the set up for grabs... so no transistor numbers just yet. Now to see if I can find contact info for Tom Jung and see if he ever had the "Button Side" photo!
  18. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Messages
    389
    2 Weeks Ago  Jun 12, 2017, 9:36 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #393

    Hey @fezfox ! It's that auction that @newmagrathea found. I contacted the folks selling this photo and several others (from Tom Jung's reference collection for the illustrations he did for Star Wars back in the beginning) and inquired if they had the "Button Side" photo as well in the collection that is up for auction. They responded today and said they didn't, but sent me a higher resolution photo of the "Lever Side" photo and wished me "best of luck" on the auction.

    So, if you've got a $1000.00 burnin' a hole in your pocket, and newmagrathea isn't in it to win it , we'll share the link with you if promise to SUPER-SCAN this image and post it here.

    I almost feel like a group buy is in order, but then who gets what?
  19. RPF Premium Member Panaflex's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2010
    From
    Florida
    Messages
    961
    2 Weeks Ago  Jun 12, 2017, 9:39 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #394

    Sym-Cha said: View Post
    When I cleared up my parents house, I found an interesting vintage part in a bin box in my late dad's shed, said part obviously screamed OB1 out loud to me right away. And eventhough I don't know it's original purpose, it sure has a wonderful shape to become the missing link between the Balance Pipe and the grenade on my all vintage parts OB1 ANH lightsaber. It's magnetic and even has a set screw so I can add it easily to the remaining grenade rod properly without the need for glue. So I'm very thrilled to reveal this vintage part in all it's glory to you now . . . thanks very much dad http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/z...psfq3nadeu.jpgCham
    Whats the plan for the other end? I looked at doing something like this but didn't think it would fit under the cap of the knob. Pics of your process please! ��
  20. RPF Premium Member parfaitelumiere's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2010
    Messages
    675
    2 Weeks Ago  Jun 13, 2017, 3:46 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #395

    It would be great to have super scan of all 3 pictures!
    It's funny...
    Yesterday was thinking about a specific choice on my obi lightsaber after looking again at toe pic Luke photo and ESB vader photo.
    And today I see this picture making my choice difficult in fact.
    Do you think the bubble is grooved on sides like vader, or just sanded down on back side?
    What makes me think it's grooved:
    -back window is visible on toe pic, meaning not sanded down, meaning grooved on side to fit
    -better to center in the clamp if full height and grooved, everyone know how tricky it is to keep a sanded bubble in place...
    what makes me think it's not:
    -kind of black line on the photo (clamp edge ?) making think it's lower than a full height bubble
    what is not easy is we can't actually see inside the bubble, but this black line is really easy to see, it can also be possible they made both, sanded down a bit and grooved a bit, a tapering is also possible.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ggg.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	8.3 KB 
ID:	736387
    Last edited by parfaitelumiere; 1 Week Ago at 11:11 AM.
  21. Sym-Cha's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2008
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Messages
    4,680
    2 Weeks Ago  Jun 13, 2017, 6:55 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #396

    Panaflex said: View Post
    Whats the plan for the other end? I looked at doing something like this but didn't think it would fit under the cap of the knob. Pics of your process please! ��
    No plan ... I'm making this up while I move along

    Cham

    P.S. I wish I could afford that Taun Taun in the other auction ... though I'm not certain it has an armature inside or is a static casting in one pose on that icy rock
  22. newmagrathea's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2014
    From
    Kansas City MO
    Messages
    899
    2 Weeks Ago  Jun 13, 2017, 7:20 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #397

    Unless I win the lottery very soon, I'm not going to go for it.

    Ridire Firean said: View Post
    Hey @fezfox ! It's that auction that @newmagrathea found. I contacted the folks selling this photo and several others (from Tom Jung's reference collection for the illustrations he did for Star Wars back in the beginning) and inquired if they had the "Button Side" photo as well in the collection that is up for auction. They responded today and said they didn't, but sent me a higher resolution photo of the "Lever Side" photo and wished me "best of luck" on the auction.

    So, if you've got a $1000.00 burnin' a hole in your pocket, and newmagrathea isn't in it to win it , we'll share the link with you if promise to SUPER-SCAN this image and post it here.

    I almost feel like a group buy is in order, but then who gets what?
  23. RPF Premium Member Fusion's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2016
    Messages
    114
    2 Weeks Ago  Jun 13, 2017, 11:08 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #398

    Ridire Firean said: View Post
    Well, here you have it gents and dames, this may well be the highest resolution photo of the Chronicles OBI-WAN KENOBI ANH LIGHTSABER that we get to see...

    Name:  LIGHTSABER - OBI-WAN KENOBI - ANH - CHRONICLES - TOM JUNG PHOTO AUCTION at Invaluable dot com - .jpg
Views: 178
Size:  329.3 KB


    ....UNLESS YOU WIN IT! And if you do, and you don't SUPER-SCAN this bad boy and share it with the rest of us, SHAME ON YOU. If I had $1000.00 floating around to get it, I would. And I'd scan it and post it here because that's what a Jedi Knight would do.
    Interesting!

    The vanes appear to be screwed up really high, completely clearing the holes for the firing pins. Maybe even up past the threads, if my single example is any guide. Can't imagine it would stay up there like that in all the rough and tumble of filming without a little help from glue or solder. And... the balance pipe vent appears to be - gasp! - welded on! Am I seeing this right? Or do I need to quit with the coffee already for today? :-)
  24. RPF Premium Member Edraven99's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2011
    Messages
    859
    2 Weeks Ago  Jun 13, 2017, 11:28 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #399

    Fusion said: View Post
    Interesting!

    The vanes appear to be screwed up really high, completely clearing the holes for the firing pins. Maybe even up past the threads, if my single example is any guide. Can't imagine it would stay up there like that in all the rough and tumble of filming without a little help from glue or solder. And... the balance pipe vent appears to be - gasp! - welded on! Am I seeing this right? Or do I need to quit with the coffee already for today? :-)
    I don't think it's anything quite so complex... the ring was probably loose for the photo shoot. The wind vane ring spins quite freely and they probably just took the picture as is...

    For my real parts display I just unscrewed the ring positioned it to where the Chronicles photos had it placed...
  25. Sym-Cha's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2008
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Messages
    4,680
    2 Weeks Ago  Jun 13, 2017, 12:10 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #400

    Ridire Firean said: View Post

    Name:  LIGHTSABER - OBI-WAN KENOBI - ANH - CHRONICLES - TOM JUNG PHOTO AUCTION at Invaluable dot com - .jpg
Views: 178
Size:  329.3 KB

    So ... what's the general consensus ... symmetric or a-symmetric grenade? This picture remains quite confused ... especially how the bubblestrip is attached ... or perhaps it was just loosely added on top/inbetween?

    Cham

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 43
    Last Post: 2 Weeks Ago, 11:54 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jun 1, 2010, 5:33 PM