The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group

Chaim I'm telling ya, ur are he man when it comes to all these vintage pictures!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you so much guys for all those info and pictures too. I'm very new to that community, but so far it's a really great experience!
I'll search for another handwheel but for the time being I'm reassured that this one is already a nice one. :thumbsup

Hah! Guess I need to get on the ball and pick up a vintage booster somewhere real quick. Anybody got an extra laying around gathering rust they need to get rid of? :-$$

Sofar you and Bengrim09 are the only ones who responded positively to my post in regards to the OB1 picture competition and want to play ... :confused

Chaïm

Hey fellas,
In the midst of my boredom I came across this thread, and I remembered about some photos I took last year at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra.
Thought you guys might like these; unfortunately there wasn't an info card or anything, but as soon as I saw it I lit up like a kid on Christmas. I tried my best to get some close up shots from all angles. I literally did not want to leave this part of the Memorial ;)

Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 3.20.21 am.jpg Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 3.24.25 am.jpg Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 3.24.42 am.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 3.21.13 am.jpg Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 3.20.37 am.jpg Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 3.24.15 am.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 3.20.47 am.png

Thanks teecrooz for the clarification. So mine is just a rechromed one or is it actually just perfectly correct? I still can't explained the round instead of square hole, the golden inside and the not so defined extruded cubes. Well I also didn't get the cap with the armitage writings on it so I think I'll still need to find a new one anyways.
thanks guys again :thumbsup

edit: Thanks for the edited more complete answer teecrooz :)

Yours is a rechomed handwheel that started life as an amber plastic version. I traded these handwheels to Roman a couple years ago. He had them plated. But, others were saying, the originals were chrome plated plastic as well. Only the top was brass

Is this supposed to be partly plastic on a authentic handwheel?
thank you very much :thumbsup

The only metal on the AS handwheels is the brass part, like on yours, all other parts are plastic.
Some early also have a metal sheet cap, but these are not common, I had one in the past.
Then, at least 4 more recent less or more accurate models have plastic caps.
And finally, the most recent innacurate model is fulll plastic.

The only metal on the AS handwheels is the brass part, like on yours, all other parts are plastic.
Some early also have a metal sheet cap, but these are not common, I had one in the past.
Then, at least 4 more recent less or more accurate models have plastic caps.
And finally, the most recent innacurate model is fulll plastic.

Thanks parfaitelumiere for the history of that part, I was confused by other posts I read before where I saw that people were sad to find modern plastic handwheels and I thought that was what I got because of my lack of knowledge on that part.
thank you guys again! I know a bit more of starwars history today thanks to all of you :thumbsup

I think it's a great idea. I don't have enough real Obi parts to do anything interesting though.

Well . . . I could always extend the rules to just one vintage part as being enough to enter ... oh wait that would include all those replica's with real G R A F L E X clamps too ... he, he :lol

Thanks jarradfx for sharing your find :) . . . I know at least one other museum in Belgium that has several different Hales grenades on display.

Chaïm

That's awesome! Likely the first instance of a Hales rifle grenade being used in a sculpture comprised of found objects, and as a handle no less! Not unlike the beloved lightsaber prop to come 60 years later. :D

Here ya go!....

Stanley Keith Pearl made this piece, titled 'Trench art kitchen scoop : Sapper S K Pearl, 5 Field Company Engineers, AIF', in Picardie, Somme, France in July 1917.

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/RELAWM14151/

Thank you for the photos!

Well I'll be damned! I didn't even think to check their website, so thank you for that!
I put my genuine Graflex clamp up for sale, but I think for this saber sake, I will keep it in hopes that I can one day build one from all vintage parts!

Wow. A sale?!

I am 100% certain that Markus was answering the question, and not offering to sell his.

@fezfox, I know you are new here, but WTB threads are not allowed in the main forum. You have to post in the Classified>WTB section of the forum. Best of luck on your search! !

Last edited:
I cant imagine what it would take to get me to part with my Obi saber. After recently posting pics of it on Instagram, I received a serious offer of a pretty decent amount and I turned it down. For me its not so much about the money, but the likelihood that I'll ever find these parts again.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back