2001 Discovery from Moebius

I don't know how Robn1 feels about this, but what if we used this thread to start pooling images and info on paint details and other research on the studio original so we're ready when the Moebius kit hits the streets? I know I'll want to hit the ground running on this one.

54ed2a7030c44db0875f91cf55ea0744.jpg

I recognize this image, it's of the USS Discovery studio model built for 2010. The one major alteration made to the Discovery was the location of emergency airlock , in the original film the airlock was 60 degrees off the main axis, it was moved to 90 degrees to accommodate the docking with the Leonov in the film. It is still useful as reference.

Captain April, that is most certainly not the Discovery built for 2010. Notice the tubing coming out of the rearmost plate before the spine. That "cage" was built into the 2001 miniature and removed before filming--a last minute change. There would have been no reason to duplicate that unseen feature on the 2010 miniature.

And this is why a thread like this is needed!:lol

Do we know for sure whether or not there will be interiors in the Moebius kit? Even if they don't do the pod bay with pods, I assume they'll need to have a cockpit since it can be seen through the windows.

Yep, pics is from the 55 footer Discovery from 2001, not from 2010...maybe a cockpit would be easier to do than the deck with the EVA Pods. Then again, the original had a picture of the set and used as a background in the model (as well as cut-out of EVA Pod miniatures placed strategically on that deck);) Don't forget that a lot of the special effects on 2001 were just cut-out pics of the models affixed to a glass pane.

Easy to light (no twinkling, strobing flashing, spinning lights), easy to paint (white, no aztek, little if any paneling), I like it already!

There's actually quite a lot of paneling on the command module...I would like to see some masking sets produced.

I stand corrected, I just looked though Piers Bizony's "2001 filming the future" book , this photo is on page 103 along with a front view of the model.

Hi Guys

Just some pics from the Wondercon in Anaheim (Source CULTTVMAN)

moebdiscovery101.jpgmoebdiscovery102.jpgmoebdiscovery103.jpgmoebdiscovery104.jpgmoebdiscovery105.jpgmoebdiscovery106.jpgmoebdiscovery107.jpg

Then I did something stupid...well if you ask my Wife I did :p on the Culttvman site I saw that Executive Replicas released 2001 Figures of Bowman and Pool apparently 2015 (I totally missed this) so did a quick search and found one on eBay and bought it :p I HAD TO...alright! :p
s-l1602.jpgs-l1601.jpgs-l1600.jpgs-l1604.jpg

Cheers Guys.

On a slightly related note, I watched 2001 with my daughter a few years ago and walked her through the film's symbolism as we watched so she'd have an appreciation for it rather than a "this is so boring" reaction. Surprisingly, she got really into it and by the time the film got to the Discovery section, she had totally picked up on the evolution of humanity themes. Then when Discovery arrives at Jupiter, she blurted out, "Oh, so Jupiter is the egg and the spaceship is a sperm and the astronaut becomes the new baby!" Now that I will have the "space sperm" on display in our family room, it will be a constant reminder of one of my better parenting moments! :lol

Assuming I won't go whole hog and add a pod and pod bay, I'm looking at $150 for the model, another $20 for shipping, $50 (or so) for inevitable photoetch add-ons, $20 for simple LED interior lighting and scratch building materials for cockpit. Paint, glue, etc. So about $300 give or take for a nice basic Discovery with a lit interior. Yup. I'm in.

Just think of all the possible 3D printed accessories that could be made for this, based on what the kit may or may not come with....Calling TonyRR......

I wonder if we will see a completed prototype at WonderFest in June?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back