2001 Discovery from Moebius

Hi everyone, This is Adam Johnson.
I'm the guy that designed and engineered this kit for Moebius. I rarely post or comment anywhere, mainly because I wrote 2 books that are intended to be a guide to 'everything 2001'. You'll find almost everything you need in these two books: 2001: The Lost Science parts 1 and 2. Part 2 is still available on Amazon or wherever you like to buy books.

Here are two images that show what the Moebius Discovery looks like in comparison to the original MGM blueprints. The red lines represent the actual blueprint lines that were followed, and the yellow lines represent lines that were either moved or added too based on close examination of the original photos of the filming miniatures. As you see, the kit exactly matches the drawings. Obviously the surface details had to be 'eyed', but overall, i am pleased with the result.
DISCOVERY_FINAL__FRONT.jpgDISCOVERY_FINAL__REAR.jpg

About 70% of the original model department drawings still exist, but they were drawn in many sections. I had to 'stitch all the drawings together to create a single complete view of the entire model. What is interesting, is from this work the length of the large filming miniature was finally ascertained - mainly because the dimensions are clearly written right on the drawings! The length is 57 feet +/- 1". Labels such as 54', 55' 56' or even 60' were said by production personnel as a vague description of the larger model. I'm sure nobody ever actually got a measuring tape out!

If anyone has any questions about the model or the filming miniature, please ask. I'll do my best to answer.

-Adam

DISCOVERY_FINAL__REAR.jpg

DISCOVERY_FINAL__FRONT.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm the guy that designed and engineered this kit for Moebius. I rarely post or comment anywhere, mainly because I wrote 2 books that are intended to be a guide to 'everything 2001'. You'll find almost everything you need in these two books: 2001: The Lost Science parts 1 and 2. Part 2 is still available on Amazon or wherever you like to buy books.

Here are two images that show what the Moebius Discovery looks like in comparison to the original MGM blueprints. The red lines represent the actual blueprint lines that were followed, and theyellowlines represent lines that were either moved or added too based on close examination of the original photos of the filming miniatures. As you see, the kit exactly matches the drawings. Obviously the surface details had to be 'eyed', but overall, i am pleased with the result.
View attachment 792124View attachment 792123

About 70% of the original model department drawings still exist, but they were drawn in many sections. I had to 'stitch all the drawings together to create a single complete view of the entire model. What is interesting, is from this work the length of the large filming miniature was finally ascertained - mainly because the dimensions are clearly written right on the drawings! The length is 57 feet +/- 1". Labels such as 54', 55' 56' or even 60' were said by production personnel as a vague description of the larger model. I'm sure nobody ever actually got a measuring tape out!

If anyone has any questions about the model or the filming miniature, please ask. I'll do my best to answer.

-Adam

Very nice work by you and Moebius. I know this is a grail kit to many people.

Thanks for doing the work on this kit, Adam! Like so many here, I've wanted a styrene Discovery kit for decades, and I love what's in the box. I'm gonna watch others' builds for a while longer before I dive in. Still need to finish my PG Falcon, anyway! Thanks again for helping this become a reality.

Very nice work by you and Moebius. I know this is a grail kit to many people.

Thanks for the info and for stopping by.
Im gonna be picking up one of these soon.

Btw, are there any other vendors besides Amazon or Ebay that sell your book?
Theyre charging over $200 !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got my copy of Volume 1 from CG Publishing (the original publisher) they only have signed copies and yes they are expensive. Had a order for it at Amazon as it said there is a new edition coming, But I waited for like 4-5 months or so and simply bought it from CG Publishing. Volume 2 still goes for around 50$.
9781926837192.jpg
VOLUME 1

9781926837352.jpg
VOLUME 2

Here are two images that show what the Moebius Discovery looks like in comparison to the original MGM blueprints. The red lines represent the actual blueprint lines that were followed, and theyellowlines represent lines that were either moved or added too based on close examination of the original photos of the filming miniatures. As you see, the kit exactly matches the drawings. Obviously the surface details had to be 'eyed', but overall, i am pleased with the result.
View attachment 792124View attachment 792123

-Adam

Thanks for the info and for stopping by.
Im gonna be picking up one of these soon.

Btw, are there any other vendors besides Amazon or Ebay that sell your book?
Theyre charging over $200 !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DS, you quoted the wrong guy.

I got my copy of Volume 1 from CG Publishing (the original publisher) they only have signed copies and yes they are expensive. Had a order for it at Amazon as it said there is a new edition coming, But I waited for like 4-5 months or so and simply bought it from CG Publishing. Volume 2 still goes for around 50$.
View attachment 792484
VOLUME 1

View attachment 792485
VOLUME 2

Volume 2 (or part 2) is still available at issue price of $49.95. And yes, Volume 1 is long sold out. Average price is $200 +.
I hope everyone enjoys the kit. The tankage assembly is tiring, but final result is incredibly satisfying. At 41+ inches, The model is big enough to do super detailing (if you want).

I'll post my day to day build-up here. I already built a test mock-up. But it was for making sure everything fitted correctly etc.etc.- and then to mass production.
First is to install the Paragraphix Aftermarket details on the outside. There's the door detail part (seen here), and the little tiny handles that go around it that the pod turned in the movie to open the door. These parts have amazing detail and absolutely precision brass-work. 20180206_210802.jpg Parts have been pre-shaded dark grey...

Parts will be painted in stages, as the tankage is rather complex. Base paint was a very light grey. NOT white. See pic below for painting the Command sphere.

The best images for painting reference are Movie stills not any 'behind the scenes' photo. Stay tuned for more. Discovery colors.jpg

I decided to do a test shot of all available light grey paints on the market. Below you will see a sample of 4 of the lightest grey's I could find. People who know me know that I used 'Diamond Grey' on almost everything except the Orion. But unfortunately it is no longer available. The closest color (to my eye) is 'Insignia White'. Note the test patterns were done on a piece of brown cardboard and will actually appear a little lighter on the model. I compared this to Diamond Grey, and found it is coincidentally very, very close.

Here is the completed Command Sphere. I decided to finish the whole thing first before tackling the rest of the model. Much easier to handle just this section!
The 'X's are the areas that will be masked first for the first layer of 'slightly darker grey' then I will mask the next area of 'even more darker grey'.
20180223_093730.jpgDSC_0107.JPG
DSC_0111.JPG

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back