Scratch built 1/10th scale AT-ST

Herofan

Hey all, just finished this build last week. 1/10th scale, all hand cut acrylic ranging from 1mm to 10mm thickness. It got very heavy by the end weighing in at about 13kg, standing almost 800mm tall. I ended up making a base for it due to paranoia of it not being able to hold it's own weight. Took a total of 160 hours of lots of bandsaw, filing, sanding work. Quite repetitive too with needing to make multiples of plenty of pieces. Hope you all like it, it was a really fun build.
IMG_20170325_193508.jpg20170126_105656.jpg20170121_181303.jpg20170121_180836.jpg20170201_183506.jpg20170121_181404.jpg20170121_180857.jpg20170122_150844.jpg20170121_180921.jpg20170121_180824.jpg20170212_161108.jpg20170206_062423.jpg20170303_181837.jpg20170215_153105.jpg20170210_183945.jpg20170203_192212.jpg20170218_135038.jpg20170210_184025.jpg20170204_162425.jpg20170223_182721.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, i uploaded then realised rotation was wrong on some and tried to edit but not sure how. Don't think I've had this problem before

Hey Herofan, was your "chicken walker" movable and had articulation before you mounted it on the base? Just curious....

Absolutely gorgeous!

Incredible job for sure:cool Love the "out of the production line" look. We've been used to the worn battle kinda look for so long that seeing a clean bird is a nice change!

Wow!!! Such a clean build, simply awesome. And I wish I had a workshop like that (yep I am truly jealous). Congrats on a class A build!.

PS: are you also doing R2s? Just seeing the ref pics on the wall ;)

Hey Herofan, was your "chicken walker" movable and had articulation before you mounted it on the base? Just curious....

Absolutely gorgeous!

While building it I was always concerned with what finished leg positions I would use to get it to balance and also look right so a made all of the leg joints movable but in the end I mostly permanently fixed them in position because of the weight. The head can still tilt forward/back and side to side, the cannons/blasters can all move and the hatch can open although it's just hollow inside.

Thanks Joberg, I always had the intention to weather it but after finishing painting I couldn't bring myself to touch it. Mostly due to not enough confidence in myself to not ruin it. Maybe one day when I'm feeling more courageous

Wow!!! Such a clean build, simply awesome. And I wish I had a workshop like that (yep I am truly jealous). Congrats on a class A build!.

PS: are you also doing R2s? Just seeing the ref pics on the wall ;)

Thanks Captain, yep, love my workshop, could always be bigger and more organised but I love it in there. I've been building a static R2 off and on for about 2 years now, too easily distracted with 'the next thing' to finish it. It's probably 70% there. I'll get there one day....maybe

While building it I was always concerned with what finished leg positions I would use to get it to balance and also look right so a made all of the leg joints movable but in the end I mostly permanently fixed them in position because of the weight. The head can still tilt forward/back and side to side, the cannons/blasters can all move and the hatch can open although it's just hollow inside.

Wow...just fantastic! I have a friend who gave me a handful of miniature hydraulic piston struts, and my first thought was to use them on the legs of a chicken walker, but I don't possess the talent, the patience, nor the 3-D printer to build an AT-ST...but seeing your build gives me inspiration to look further into modeling. Great stuff!

Wow, impressive. I know nothing about the ROTJ AT-ST.
Did ILM build a 1/10th for the crushed head and other actions? Was it the main scale for this model?

Wow, impressive. I know nothing about the ROTJ AT-ST.
Did ILM build a 1/10th for the crushed head and other actions? Was it the main scale for this model?

Thanks guys for the nice comments. Maxhebus, I'm not totally sure but at a guess it looks like about 1/10th. Brings a tear to the eye to see it crushed, for a good cause I guess. Screenshot_20170404-052948.jpg

Wow...just fantastic! I have a friend who gave me a handful of miniature hydraulic piston struts, and my first thought was to use them on the legs of a chicken walker, but I don't possess the talent, the patience, nor the 3-D printer to build an AT-ST...but seeing your build gives me inspiration to look further into modeling. Great stuff!

Hey disanto, this was the first scratch built model I ever made, while I have scratch built a fair few weapons, never a model. I loved the process, while sometimes repetitive, it's really rewarding. Do you own a bandsaw, bench disc sander (or similar) a drill of somesort, files (needle files are your best friend) Those are the main tools I used for the whole build. As far as materials go, I have an acrylic supplier that sells scrap. I buy it for $5/kg so the whole build, excluding paint, only cost about $60. I also had a small Bandai model i used digital calipers on to scale off and then a heap of rederence pics online to see more detail. As long as you have patience you should go for it!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back