LIGHTSABER - OBI-WAN KENOBI - REAL PARTS BUILD - THE JOURNEY HAS BEGUN!~Ridire Firean

Re: LIGHTSABER - OBI-WAN KENOBI - REAL PARTS BUILD - THE JOURNEY HAS BEGUN!~Ridire Fi

Hey fezfox ! Nope, not yet. I asked the seller for additional photos to prove it was real as the photos I saw weren't the greatest and it looked like it had been used (the seller claims it was never installed on a machinegun).

This was the last correspondence I received from the seller...

"Extra photos are a waste of our time.

You are right anyone COULD cover up the item with grease and Cosmo.

If you search the web you can even find a welded up one so it really does not matter much welder or not.

“They said”, Fat old ******** at a gun show don’t have a clue what part you are even speaking of.

Pass on it is best, this way we don’t have to take the pics of a item you will not purchase anyway.

If we do get around to more pics the booster and bearing will be 1095.00

Thank you for your interest"

So, I haven't bothered to email them back, that was two months ago now, still no pics. The ******** is the other term for a donkey combined with what you get when you dig circular shapes out of the ground with a shovel.

The thing the bothers me most, besides their lack of interest selling the item (seriously, who can be too busy to take a couple of photos to make a sale? you should see what I go through as a salesman somedays to make a meager $10.00 sale), and besides their vulgarity to a would-be customer, is that this particular booster and bearing look a lot like a Roman's replica. It's not the super-pointy-finned kind like what I've seen other REAL PARTS OBI-WAN KENOBI LIGHTSABERs here at TheRPF have. And then there's teecrooz 's bearing that was spruced up to look real, and..... I'm not paying that kind of money for anything to someone unwilling to assure me it's a genuine product. Seems to me a reasonable request. This guy will have this thing forever, I'M CERTAIN OF IT. Therefore, I'll wait for them to remember that someone (me) was interested in it, when they decide they actually want to sell it, they have my email address, and they can send me the photos at that point in time... or they'll still have this thing forever!

Right now I'm focusing my efforts on finding that darned transistor model number!!! I really want to be the guy to figure that out once and for all. I would love for that to be my contribution to the Star Wars community. Of course, I will have to buy up every single one of them in the wild before I announce the discovery though... I mean, I have to have a way to pay for a female balance pipe somehow, right? ;) Seriously though, I've been through every transistor website I can find, twice!!, and scrolled and scrolled and scrolled through countless Google images and eBay auctions, and still I can't find that stamp-mark on anything. Not even if I include the "what if some of it was rubbed off". My next step is trying to find an old book about transistors at the library, and with any luck (I'm doubting it since none of my other inquiries have been answered) I'll get a response from the Tom Jung photo auction folks. Wait, dog-gone-it! That's what I was supposed to do today. I won't get a response if I don't send the email I started yesterday! Oh well, at least my garden doesn't have any weeds in it and I got all my seeds planted. Tomorrow then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: LIGHTSABER - OBI-WAN KENOBI - REAL PARTS BUILD - THE JOURNEY HAS BEGUN!~Ridire Fi

Hey @fezfox ! Nope, not yet. I asked the seller for additional photos to prove it was real as the photos I saw weren't the greatest and it looked like it had been used (the seller claims it was never installed on a machinegun).

This was the last correspondence I received from the seller...

"Extra photos are a waste of our time.

You are right anyone COULD cover up the item with grease and Cosmo.

If you search the web you can even find a welded up one so it really does not matter much welder or not.

“They said”, Fat old ******** at a gun show don’t have a clue what part you are even speaking of.

Pass on it is best, this way we don’t have to take the pics of a item you will not purchase anyway.

If we do get around to more pics the booster and bearing will be 1095.00

Thank you for your interest"

So, I haven't bothered to email them back, that was two months ago now, still no pics. The ******** is the other term for a donkey combined with what you get when you dig circular shapes out of the ground with a shovel.

The thing the bothers me most, besides their lack of interest selling the item (seriously, who can be too busy to take a couple of photos to make a sale? you should see what I go through as a salesman somedays to make a meager $10.00 sale), and besides their vulgarity to a would-be customer, is that this particular booster and bearing look a lot like a Roman's replica. It's not the super-pointy-finned kind like what I've seen other REAL PARTS OBI-WAN KENOBI LIGHTSABERs here at TheRPF have. And then there's @teecrooz 's bearing that was spruced up to look real, and..... I'm not paying that kind of money for anything to someone unwilling to assure me it's a genuine product. Seems to me a reasonable request. This guy will have this thing forever, I'M CERTAIN OF IT. Therefore, I'll wait for them to remember that someone (me) was interested in it, when they decide they actually want to sell it, they have my email address, and they can send me the photos at that point in time... or they'll still have this thing forever!

Right now I'm focusing my efforts on finding that darned transistor model number!!! I really want to be the guy to figure that out once and for all. I would love for that to be my contribution to the Star Wars community. Of course, I will have to buy up every single one of them in the wild before I announce the discovery though... I mean, I have to have a way to pay for a female balance pipe somehow, right? ;) Seriously though, I've been through every transistor website I can find, twice!!, and scrolled and scrolled and scrolled through countless Google images and eBay auctions, and still I can't find that stamp-mark on anything. Not even if I include the "what if some of it was rubbed off". My next step is trying to find an old book about transistors at the library, and with any luck (I'm doubting it since none of my other inquiries have been answered) I'll get a response from the Tom Jung photo auction folks. Wait, dog-gone-it! That's what I was supposed to do today. I won't get a response if I don't send the email I started yesterday! Oh well, at least my garden doesn't have any weeds in it and I got all my seeds planted. Tomorrow then.

You ever see this thread?

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=225136&p=3436143&viewfull=1#post3436143

I think most of us have MA205s...

Also, if you can get the dealer to ever send you pictures, ask him for a close up of the fins on the female side... real ones have stamps in them...

DSC01243_zpsa59a5129.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1252.JPG
    IMG_1252.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 87

Ridire Firean Ya life's too short to deal with people like that, and as you say, what possible reason could they have not to grab their phone and take half a dozen photos to make the sale! Did you ever post the photos you did have and see what the community here thought of them? (Did look in this thread but couldn't see them?)

Why yes I have! And I don't believe that's the correct transistor. The markings just don't line up.

Also, if you can get the dealer to ever send you pictures, ask him for a close up of the fins on the female side... real ones have stamps in them...

I know, I was hoping to see that too. I love you guys and your stamps!

Come to think of it.... it'd be fun to whack some Aurebesh into my Roman's Mk1 FX!!!!

Did you ever post the photos you did have and see what the community here thought of them? (Did look in this thread but couldn't see them?)

Hey fez! no, I haven't posted the pics I have publicly, so you didn't miss anything, I won't post pics of this particular booster here to insure that dude never sells it. I have shared the photos via PM and they believe it to be genuine. It's just A LOT of money for me, and I have to be 100% certain before I can spend that kind of money on something. For now, I'm a patient person, I can wait until he proves to me that what he's selling is real and unused.

Hey Gang! I found something nifty for my future display case, do you think it'll fit in one of those fancy IKEA curio cabinets?

Armitage Shanks Faucets and Sink - 01 - Ridire Firean.jpg

Armitage Shanks Faucets and Sink - 02 - Ridire Firean.jpg

Armitage Shanks Faucets and Sink - 03 - Ridire Firean.jpg

It looks like I get to have my Star Wars themed bathroom, and my Lightsabers...two. As in two of them. Movie, and Chronicles. Maybe, hitting the lottery will play a huge part in that possible future. For now, I have another piece of the puzzle checked off!!

Anybody find another Derwent Mk9 yet? Or another ole wee little cardboard box with a brand new female balance pipe in it? Specimen Hale's Grenade? Box full of "deactivated" British Browning's barrels' business ends?

O.K. back to the grindstone then. I hope to find that correct transistor one of these days. I've been spending WAY too much time looking for it, and need to settle for something close enough I think. I did find an old Ti 1471 4794 7006C in among my old toys. I think I have another one too, but I haven't found it yet. They're tall TO-5 cans, but they're vintage, and free! And if I remember where I got them correctly, they were from the maintenance room of an airplane hanger. So they have a bit of history, and remind me of my Father. I found another tall can TO-5 can type of transistor on line that would be pretty fitting for the saber, but I think the short cans look more the part. The search continues!

Good Luck to all of us currently on this quest! May The Force Be With Us!!!

p.s. these AS knobs have the square hole.

Last edited:

how do you guys find stuff like that... I'm spending hours everyday searching for things and never saw any hanwheels yet...
very nice score! :)

Excellent find ... I know I have been glued to the screen for a long time trying to find those ... in the end I only scored 1 'C' via ebay and the other 2 'C's came from the Junkyard :)

Chaïm

Thanks Guys! It was a great deal of effort finding them, and the close-but not 100% ones too. I thought I was going to stop looking for a while but I'm glad I kept at it as long as I did and found that second set of REAL DEALS! I'm glad both of the sets turned out to be as nice as they are.

I don't want to booger the correct ones, but I am curious how you guys that have the correct knobs got yours apart?

Hey eethan ! It goes WAY, WAY, WAY, beyond "hours everyday". Some of it is luck (timing), some of it is charm (gentle Jedi Mind Tricks), but mostly it's searching with a .... wait what am I doing? I can't divulge the secret-eBay-sniper's code. That was a close one!!!

Seriously though, I will tell you this and you'll have to figure out the rest... your search results should be in the 10's of thousands. If your search includes either of the following or any combination of the two, you're doing it wrong: "Armitage" "Shanks". Not to say that you might get SUPER LUCKY one day, but I doubt it. Neither of the two auctions I won included any words that would even hint at what they were. KNOW YOUR PREY!!! If you can't distinguish what your looking for from a 0.25" picture on your screen...STUDY MORE!!! And I shouldn't even hint at this, but you need to know where your prey is, and look there accordingly. If you can't figure that one out, get clever, get creative, get a smarter friend to help you out. I want to help further, but,... I might still be looking. And I'm definitely still looking for some other things, so, I sure hope I haven't shot myself in the foot here.

You best not divulge what you want them for either, or the price will go from $10.00 to rediculous in a heartbeat. Thank goodness I knew to keep my mouth shut!

Also, familiarize yourself with eBay's Global Shipping Service, you may need to explain how it works to your seller. If all goes right all they have to do is take the faucets to a drop-off location and G.S.S. does the rest. G.S.S. does NOT SHIP SINKS! If they'll only sell the whole kit and kaboodle, ask them to use Parcel2Go. It's a long wait (15 days U.K. to USA), with vague updates, but it's $300.00 cheaper than shipping via Fed-Ex or UPS, even if you have an account, and no, that is not an exageration.

Did I mention the amount of time required to look for these? It's every waking moment, every free second, when you SHOULD be doing something else, when you COULD be doing something else, and even when you WANT to be doing something else. Though, technically, yes you WANT to find these, it does become a chore. Do it and you'll understand where I'm coming from on this. Do it, and you might end up like me, which is to say that I can't seem to stop looking. I know I need to, I want to stop, but I'm still looking even now.

Then there's all those other parts. SIGH!

I'm just beginning to understand the elation that those at the end of this journey have felt at the end, and a wee bit of the trepidation of what to do when the journey is over too.

Well, back to it then. NO! I mean off to the couch to watch T.V. and get something to eat, or maybe even go to bed and get some well earned rest.

Be careful the path you start down, this one may forever dominate your destiny. ;) <--- Please note, this winking smiley-face is only half kidding.

Ridire Firean Your search methodology is interesting. I'm still looking vainly for a booster. I have found entire machine guns at $25,000! But no boosters/flash hiders on their own.

thanks for your long and detailed answer. Yeah sadly I have other stuff to do as well and cannot spend all my free time looking for stuff on internet, I'm already spending too much time doing that ;)
but thanks for the tips :thumbsup

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back