Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Florida
    Apr 1, 2017, 4:26 PM - Re: LIGHTSABER - OBI-WAN KENOBI - REAL PARTS BUILD - THE JOURNEY HAS BEGUN!~Ridire Fi #26

HeartBlade said: View Post
    How do you guys tell if you have a genuine booster? I would jump on it as long as the financial strain is not too much. Although you can't say that and go for the Obi at the same time. The booster, grenade, and balance pipe compose the holy trinity of the Obi so I would jump on it.

Here are some comparison shots from when I finally got my 1st booster. Note the sharpness of the fins on the vintage one on the left; Roman's excellent replica on the right.
    This particular vintage booster is now in the Teecrooz National Star Wars Museum.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7375.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	718545Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7373.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	663.8 KB 
ID:	718546
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Apr 1, 2017, 4:27 PM - Re: LIGHTSABER - OBI-WAN KENOBI - REAL PARTS BUILD - THE JOURNEY HAS BEGUN!~Ridire Fi #27

mugatu said: View Post
    Danny, I'm not sure if there is an end-all-be-all correct orientation for the weldment hole in the booster. I've seen boosters with two holes before! Also, there is a small "pin hole" located between two booster vanes that I have also seen in various locations in relation to the weldment hole in the threaded area. I've also seen boosters with two of these pin holes and some with only one.

Heartblade, there are a couple of ways to tell:

1) the peaks of the booster vanes are typically sharper (more pointed and thinner) than the repros that I've seen.
    2) real boosters will be parkerized everywhere except on the inner surface which will be chromed. This was developed some time during the Mark II cycle due to the caliber of the Browning being too small for the high rate of fire. These two factors combined to create too much fouling in the bore of the original boosters which were entirely parkerized. The chroming was done to help facilitate the ejection of gases, debris, etc. during rapid cycling.
    3) generally speaking, real boosters tend to be nasty dirty. And I don't mean like a booster has been sitting in a barn for 50 years collecting dust sort of way. I mean grimey greasy nastiness, but that isn't always the case, just usually.
    Thank you Andy, I never knew the boosters could have two! Well that makes it a lot easier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Apr 1, 2017, 4:51 PM - Re: LIGHTSABER - OBI-WAN KENOBI - REAL PARTS BUILD - THE JOURNEY HAS BEGUN!~Ridire Fi #28

UGH! You guys are giving me grey hairs! I totally see at least four new hairs sprouting out of my sideburns since yesterday. To me this literally equates to buying an engagement ring... to an expensive trophy queen. At least she won't talk back. HA! JK ladies. I guess I'll have to see if the seller will budge a bit on the $$$.$$. and pull the trigger on it.

teecrooz said: View Post
    Oh that's easy, you don't need either. We don't know if either was under the clamp.
    Well, that's true, we've never seen it, but I like what Edraven99, and others have done with both the BEARING NUT, and the FLASH HIDER. Especially since it makes sense that the Chronicles Obi-Wan has a cotter pin poking through the GRAFLEX Clamp. That makes it real easy to hold the two pieces together utilizing the holey-washer-rings of either BOOSTER accessory. I think I even know a guy that has a bunch of VINTAGE COTTER PINS @Sym-Cha wink! wink! Though I don't like the cotter pin idea per se as it doesn't appear that way in the movie. And too, I don't want it poking me in the hand when I'm "VRROOOM, WHOOSH, VRRING!"ing it around in the livingroom!

teecrooz said: View Post
    I think the reason you had to loosen the clamp is because there is still a little bit of rust buildup on the base of the grenade. If you do a little more cleanup on the bottom ring, you should be able to tighten it again.
    I'm a little afraid of going too far with the vinegar though, if there's any rust holding it together, I kinda want to leave it be. Maybe I'll chuck it up in the lathe at work and give it a spin with a little sandpaper.

Edraven99 said: View Post
    It's all preference... I used the bearing in my build because I wanted to use as many original parts as possible...
    I prefer it the way you did it! It looks great, and it's functional (sound holes anyone?)

halliwax said: View Post
    this is a beautiful piece... my god. i hope to one day have something like this. while we are on the subject of boosters, can someone tell me where the hole in thread near the sink knob, what orientation that belongs at?
    Thanks! It really will be one day I hope! As to the hole location, I can't see it for sure in the Chronicles photos.

Also, did y'all know there's two different fan blade pin stop locations on the windvane? Yep, the two Chris gave me are opposites of one another!! How 'bout dem apples?!

Shoot, that reminds me, I've been meaning to look you up for days now, I apologize for forgetting who too, it's either @newmagrathea or @NeoRutty , one of you guys broke off your windvane pin. I think that it's actually put in place after machining the windvane neck on a lathe. That, or it was cast then the threads were cut and the firing pin retaining pin holes were drilled. Just file whatever's left down flush to the neck, drill a wee little hole, and fill it with some wee brass rod. If you make it a bit longer than necessary you'll have a bit to tap on with a hammer, then file or Dremel the rest down to size. I'll pull some measurementsfor you tonight if you need them!
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Apr 1, 2017, 9:38 PM - Re: LIGHTSABER - OBI-WAN KENOBI - REAL PARTS BUILD - THE JOURNEY HAS BEGUN!~Ridire Fi #29

Indeed ... I've still got plenty of vintage cotter pins left ... for OB1 ANH build :

though you'll have to bend them to the shape that's required for your build :

as for that booster, you'll need some jedi-negotiation/persuations skills

Chaïm
    Last edited by Sym-Cha; Apr 1, 2017 at 9:45 PM.
  5. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Apr 1, 2017, 9:50 PM - Re: LIGHTSABER - OBI-WAN KENOBI - REAL PARTS BUILD - THE JOURNEY HAS BEGUN!~Ridire Fi #30

O.K. I figured it out. It was @NeoRutty who broke off the pin, I read it in newmagrathea's grenade restoration thread, and if I read it correctly that pinless windvane neck was traded to @Edraven99 .

SO, whoever has it now, the pin is 3/64" in diameter, and 1/16" tall.

ALSO, I was curious to know which side of the cotter pin sleeve groove the pin sits on, so I studied both the Chronicles photos. You can see the windvane neck pin in the Transistors-side photo. Thank the Force that the windvane had unscrewed for that photo!!! You can also see the Cotter Pin Sleeve Groove in this photo. The GRAFLEX Clamp Lever-side photo shows no sign of either the Windvane Neck Pin, nor the Cotter Pin Sleeve Groove. Therefore...

With the WINDVANE NECK sitting on a table with the large threaded side down and the emitter side pointing upwards, and with the Cotter Pin Sleeve Groove pointing towards you as you look at it, the pin on the Chronicles Obi-Wan Kenobi Lightsaber would be on your right hand side.

Way to break a correct one Neo! Just teasing, I know it's probably still a painful memory. BUT IT'S FIXABLE!!! YAY! So whoever has it, GET TO RESTORING IT!

Speaking of restoring a windvane neck... my cracked one is the right hand side one. Whaa-Whaa-Whaa-Whaa-a-aaa. I accept the challenge! A little heat there, a little smack there, should be right as rain. Or it will go really sideways. May the Force be with me!
  6. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Apr 1, 2017, 10:03 PM - Re: LIGHTSABER - OBI-WAN KENOBI - REAL PARTS BUILD - THE JOURNEY HAS BEGUN!~Ridire Fi #31

Sym-Cha said: View Post
    as for that booster, you'll need some jedi-negotiation/persuations skills Chaïm
    @Sym-Cha RIGHT!? Wish me luck! edit: I just thought of something that tickled me... how can I go into "Aggressive Negotiations" without an intact lightsaber? And the guy that has the part is supposed to be like, "Here ya go. Complete that elegant weapon and fire it up on me!" Too funny!

If I noticed it before, I've forgotten, but I'm noticing it again now, your cotter pins were even MADE IN BRITAIN. TOO COOL!!!

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how they held the GRAFLEX Clamp and the Booster Bearing Nut/Flash Hider together.

Here's why: We see the Cotter Pin coming out of the little hole they made in the GRAFLEX Clamp in the Transistors-side photo, but there's no sign of the loop end of the Cotter Pin in between the BOOSTER's Fins. I suppose they could have run the other leg tightly along the edge of the fins and beneath the clamp's edge too. That would obscure it from view in the photo and it would then have travelled through both parts binding them together. I guess I need a BOOSTER and accoutrements to test the theory, eh?!
    Last edited by Ridire Firean; Apr 1, 2017 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Irony Joke
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Apr 1, 2017, 10:27 PM - Re: LIGHTSABER - OBI-WAN KENOBI - REAL PARTS BUILD - THE JOURNEY HAS BEGUN!~Ridire Fi #32

There seems to be somesort of 8-hole in the G R A F L E X clamp for that cotterpin ...

... one to thread the cotterpin through and the other to tighten and secure it further

Chaïm
  8. Member Since
    Dec 2013
    Apr 4, 2017, 12:20 PM - Re: LIGHTSABER - OBI-WAN KENOBI - REAL PARTS BUILD - THE JOURNEY HAS BEGUN!~Ridire Fi #33

Thank you mugatu and panaflex. It's always great to learn more about the prop and those pictures are amazing.
  9. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Jun 3, 2017, 9:30 PM - Re: LIGHTSABER - OBI-WAN KENOBI - REAL PARTS BUILD - THE JOURNEY HAS BEGUN!~Ridire Fi #34

Episode II : THE EBAY STRIKES BACK

A long time ago in a camerashop far,
    far away....

It is a dark time for the build.
    Although the EXACTRA 19 has been
    found, the Vintage GRAFLEX Camera
    Case has proven to have two very
    small and inaccurate D-Rings.

Evading the dreaded Ebay
    Snipers, a group of Benjamins
    sent by Ridire Firean have
    established a new special
    activation plate on
    the Real Parts Obi-Wan Lightsaber.

The evil lord D-Bag, obsessed
    with bankrupting young Firean, has
    demanded thousands of remote
    Washingtons for the procurement
    of the Booster Bearing....

Pics here tomorrow, I started to create this post, but I'm spent for the day.

UPDATE EDIT: Here's those pics, well, some of them anyway. I'll have to do another round of photos to show y'all what to look out for when shopping for a Vintage GRAFLEX D-ring on another day.

Name:	Ridire Firean - ALL REAL PARTS OBI-WAN KENOBI LIGHTSABER - EXACTRA 19 - 1900064527 - 01.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	2.59 MB 
ID:	742279

Name:	Ridire Firean - ALL REAL PARTS OBI-WAN KENOBI LIGHTSABER - EXACTRA 19 - 1900064527 - 02.jpg 
Size:	2.59 MB 
ID:	742280

Name:	Ridire Firean - ALL REAL PARTS OBI-WAN KENOBI LIGHTSABER - EXACTRA 19 - 1900064527 - 03.jpg 
Size:	2.56 MB 
ID:	742281

Name:	Ridire Firean - ALL REAL PARTS OBI-WAN KENOBI LIGHTSABER - EXACTRA 19 - 1900064527 - 04.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	2.96 MB 
ID:	742282

Name:	Ridire Firean - ALL REAL PARTS OBI-WAN KENOBI LIGHTSABER - EXACTRA 19 - 1900064527 - 05.jpg 
Size:	2.37 MB 
ID:	742283

Name:	Ridire Firean - ALL REAL PARTS OBI-WAN KENOBI LIGHTSABER - EXACTRA 19 - 1900064527 - 06.jpg 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	742284

Name:	Ridire Firean - ALL REAL PARTS OBI-WAN KENOBI LIGHTSABER - EXACTRA 19 - 1900064527 - 07.jpg 
Size:	2.72 MB 
ID:	742285

Name:	Ridire Firean - ALL REAL PARTS OBI-WAN KENOBI LIGHTSABER - EXACTRA 19 - 1900064527 - 08.jpg 
Size:	2.53 MB 
ID:	742286

Name:	Ridire Firean - ALL REAL PARTS OBI-WAN KENOBI LIGHTSABER - EXACTRA 19 - 1900064527 - 09.jpg 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	742287

Name:	Ridire Firean - ALL REAL PARTS OBI-WAN KENOBI LIGHTSABER - EXACTRA 19 - 1900064527 - 10.jpg 
Size:	2.31 MB 
ID:	742288

Name:	Ridire Firean - ALL REAL PARTS OBI-WAN KENOBI LIGHTSABER - EXACTRA 19 - 1900064527 - 11.jpg 
Size:	2.04 MB 
ID:	742289

So there you have it, one more piece of the puzzle checked off of the list! Now to find a 20! Wait, what?! Oh, I suppose. Can't hurt to have one of each right? Good Night everybody!
    Last edited by Ridire Firean; Jul 8, 2017 at 10:15 PM. Reason: June 4, 2017 at 1:52 AM. Reason: Added Promised Photos! 7-8-2017= Switching photo hosting to TheRPF.
  10. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Jun 3, 2017, 9:33 PM - Re: LIGHTSABER - OBI-WAN KENOBI - REAL PARTS BUILD - THE JOURNEY HAS BEGUN!~Ridire Fi #35

And Coming Soon!...

Episode III : RETURN OF THE HANDWHEEL

A long time ago in a sink far,
    far away....

Ridire Firean has scoured the internet
    on his home search engine of Google in
    an attempt to rescue vintage taps from the
    clutches of the vile gangster
    Britt the Scrapyard.

Little does Ridire know that the
    GALACTIC EBAY has secretly
    begun shipping boxes with even
    fewer and ridiculously more vague
    updates than the dreaded USPS.

When delivered, this well searched
    part will spell certain completion for
    the small section of the ultimate
    weapon known as the pommel and
    will restore a sense of hope
    to the galaxy....
    Last edited by Ridire Firean; Jun 6, 2017 at 1:35 AM. Reason: Typo, thanks Chaim!
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2017, 8:10 AM - Re: LIGHTSABER - OBI-WAN KENOBI - REAL PARTS BUILD - THE JOURNEY HAS BEGUN!~Ridire Fi #36

Capt'n Jack Sparrow : 'It's pronounced pommel . . . not pomell . . . now bugger of . . . and fetch those stinking Washingtons to reach an accord!' . . .

Chaïm
  12. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Jun 7, 2017, 10:52 PM - Re: LIGHTSABER - OBI-WAN KENOBI - REAL PARTS BUILD - THE JOURNEY HAS BEGUN!~Ridire Fi #37

Lookee what arrived today from across the pond!

Name:	Ridire Firean - Armitage Shanks - Sink and Bathtub Taps - 01.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	2.77 MB 
ID:	742290

Name:	Ridire Firean - Armitage Shanks - Sink and Bathtub Taps - 02.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	742291

Name:	Ridire Firean - Armitage Shanks - Sink and Bathtub Taps - 03.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	2.69 MB 
ID:	742292

Now then I'm left with a conundrum...

What to do, what to do? STAR WARS themed bathroom?....Or 2 Obi-Wan Kenobi Lightsabers, PLUS 2 115%-Scale Obi-Wan Kenobi Lightsabers?

Decisions, decisions, decisions. A Jedi's work is never done.

All in all, I'd say I did pretty good for searching through 38,678 listings. And I think I certainly got my $59 worth! The chap I bought them from was an awesome guy and went the extra mile for me relisting the auction several times, not only to exclude the things I didn't want, but also as he learned how to list for international shipping. I'm very thankful that he and I got along so amiably, that we were able to work through sorting out the listing together with great accord, and that both of us were pleased to get we wanted out of the deal. With any luck, he'll tell his neighbors about selling his old faucets to some bloke in the USA and they'll ask him for my information when they go to redo their bathrooms! Lightsabers crossed!!!
    Last edited by Ridire Firean; Jul 8, 2017 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Switching photo hosting to TheRPF.
  13. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Jun 7, 2017, 10:58 PM - Re: LIGHTSABER - OBI-WAN KENOBI - REAL PARTS BUILD - THE JOURNEY HAS BEGUN!~Ridire Fi #38

sym-cha said: View Post
    capt'n jack sparrow : 'it's pronounced pommel . . . Not pomell . . . Now bugger of . . . And fetch those stinking washingtons to reach an accord!' . . .
    chaïm
    psst! "It's pronounced OFF... not of!"
    From
    South Carolina
    Jun 8, 2017, 9:14 AM - Re: LIGHTSABER - OBI-WAN KENOBI - REAL PARTS BUILD - THE JOURNEY HAS BEGUN!~Ridire Fi #39

Ridire Firean said: View Post
    Lookee what arrived today from across the pond!

http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/...1.jpg~original

http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/...2.jpg~original

http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/...3.jpg~original

Now then I'm left with a conundrum...

What to do, what to do? STAR WARS themed bathroom?....Or 2 Obi-Wan Kenobi Lightsabers, PLUS 2 115%-Scale Obi-Wan Kenobi Lightsabers?

Decisions, decisions, decisions. A Jedi's work is never done.

All in all, I'd say I did pretty good for searching through 38,678 listings. And I think I certainly got my $59 worth! The chap I bought them from was an awesome guy and went the extra mile for me relisting the auction several times, not only to exclude the things I didn't want, but also as he learned how to list for international shipping. I'm very thankful that he and I got along so amiably, that we were able to work through sorting out the listing together with great accord, and that both of us were pleased to get we wanted out of the deal. With any luck, he'll tell his neighbors about selling his old faucets to some bloke in the USA and they'll ask him for my information when they go to redo their bathrooms! Lightsabers crossed!!!

Holy cow! I'd totally do a Star Wars bathroom.
    Jun 8, 2017, 8:22 PM - Re: LIGHTSABER - OBI-WAN KENOBI - REAL PARTS BUILD - THE JOURNEY HAS BEGUN!~Ridire Fi #40

@Ridire Firean did you buy that booster?
  16. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Jun 8, 2017, 11:19 PM - Re: LIGHTSABER - OBI-WAN KENOBI - REAL PARTS BUILD - THE JOURNEY HAS BEGUN!~Ridire Fi #41

Hey @fezfox ! Nope, not yet. I asked the seller for additional photos to prove it was real as the photos I saw weren't the greatest and it looked like it had been used (the seller claims it was never installed on a machinegun).

This was the last correspondence I received from the seller...

"Extra photos are a waste of our time.

You are right anyone COULD cover up the item with grease and Cosmo.

If you search the web you can even find a welded up one so it really does not matter much welder or not.

“They said”, Fat old ******** at a gun show don’t have a clue what part you are even speaking of.

Pass on it is best, this way we don’t have to take the pics of a item you will not purchase anyway.

If we do get around to more pics the booster and bearing will be 1095.00

Thank you for your interest"

So, I haven't bothered to email them back, that was two months ago now, still no pics. The ******** is the other term for a donkey combined with what you get when you dig circular shapes out of the ground with a shovel.

The thing the bothers me most, besides their lack of interest selling the item (seriously, who can be too busy to take a couple of photos to make a sale? you should see what I go through as a salesman somedays to make a meager $10.00 sale), and besides their vulgarity to a would-be customer, is that this particular booster and bearing look a lot like a Roman's replica. It's not the super-pointy-finned kind like what I've seen other REAL PARTS OBI-WAN KENOBI LIGHTSABERs here at TheRPF have. And then there's @teecrooz 's bearing that was spruced up to look real, and..... I'm not paying that kind of money for anything to someone unwilling to assure me it's a genuine product. Seems to me a reasonable request. This guy will have this thing forever, I'M CERTAIN OF IT. Therefore, I'll wait for them to remember that someone (me) was interested in it, when they decide they actually want to sell it, they have my email address, and they can send me the photos at that point in time... or they'll still have this thing forever!

Right now I'm focusing my efforts on finding that darned transistor model number!!! I really want to be the guy to figure that out once and for all. I would love for that to be my contribution to the Star Wars community. Of course, I will have to buy up every single one of them in the wild before I announce the discovery though... I mean, I have to have a way to pay for a female balance pipe somehow, right? Seriously though, I've been through every transistor website I can find, twice!!, and scrolled and scrolled and scrolled through countless Google images and eBay auctions, and still I can't find that stamp-mark on anything. Not even if I include the "what if some of it was rubbed off". My next step is trying to find an old book about transistors at the library, and with any luck (I'm doubting it since none of my other inquiries have been answered) I'll get a response from the Tom Jung photo auction folks. Wait, dog-gone-it! That's what I was supposed to do today. I won't get a response if I don't send the email I started yesterday! Oh well, at least my garden doesn't have any weeds in it and I got all my seeds planted. Tomorrow then.
  17. RPF Premium Member Edraven99's Avatar
    Jun 9, 2017, 12:21 AM - Re: LIGHTSABER - OBI-WAN KENOBI - REAL PARTS BUILD - THE JOURNEY HAS BEGUN!~Ridire Fi #42

Ridire Firean said: View Post
    Hey @fezfox ! Nope, not yet. I asked the seller for additional photos to prove it was real as the photos I saw weren't the greatest and it looked like it had been used (the seller claims it was never installed on a machinegun).

This was the last correspondence I received from the seller...

"Extra photos are a waste of our time.

You are right anyone COULD cover up the item with grease and Cosmo.

If you search the web you can even find a welded up one so it really does not matter much welder or not.

“They said”, Fat old ******** at a gun show don’t have a clue what part you are even speaking of.

Pass on it is best, this way we don’t have to take the pics of a item you will not purchase anyway.

If we do get around to more pics the booster and bearing will be 1095.00

Thank you for your interest"

So, I haven't bothered to email them back, that was two months ago now, still no pics. The ******** is the other term for a donkey combined with what you get when you dig circular shapes out of the ground with a shovel.

The thing the bothers me most, besides their lack of interest selling the item (seriously, who can be too busy to take a couple of photos to make a sale? you should see what I go through as a salesman somedays to make a meager $10.00 sale), and besides their vulgarity to a would-be customer, is that this particular booster and bearing look a lot like a Roman's replica. It's not the super-pointy-finned kind like what I've seen other REAL PARTS OBI-WAN KENOBI LIGHTSABERs here at TheRPF have. And then there's @teecrooz 's bearing that was spruced up to look real, and..... I'm not paying that kind of money for anything to someone unwilling to assure me it's a genuine product. Seems to me a reasonable request. This guy will have this thing forever, I'M CERTAIN OF IT. Therefore, I'll wait for them to remember that someone (me) was interested in it, when they decide they actually want to sell it, they have my email address, and they can send me the photos at that point in time... or they'll still have this thing forever!

Right now I'm focusing my efforts on finding that darned transistor model number!!! I really want to be the guy to figure that out once and for all. I would love for that to be my contribution to the Star Wars community. Of course, I will have to buy up every single one of them in the wild before I announce the discovery though... I mean, I have to have a way to pay for a female balance pipe somehow, right? Seriously though, I've been through every transistor website I can find, twice!!, and scrolled and scrolled and scrolled through countless Google images and eBay auctions, and still I can't find that stamp-mark on anything. Not even if I include the "what if some of it was rubbed off". My next step is trying to find an old book about transistors at the library, and with any luck (I'm doubting it since none of my other inquiries have been answered) I'll get a response from the Tom Jung photo auction folks. Wait, dog-gone-it! That's what I was supposed to do today. I won't get a response if I don't send the email I started yesterday! Oh well, at least my garden doesn't have any weeds in it and I got all my seeds planted. Tomorrow then.
    You ever see this thread?

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php...=1#post3436143

I think most of us have MA205s...

Also, if you can get the dealer to ever send you pictures, ask him for a close up of the fins on the female side... real ones have stamps in them...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1252.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	735025  
    Jun 9, 2017, 12:26 AM - Re: LIGHTSABER - OBI-WAN KENOBI - REAL PARTS BUILD - THE JOURNEY HAS BEGUN!~Ridire Fi #43

@Ridire Firean Ya life's too short to deal with people like that, and as you say, what possible reason could they have not to grab their phone and take half a dozen photos to make the sale! Did you ever post the photos you did have and see what the community here thought of them? (Did look in this thread but couldn't see them?)
  19. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Jun 9, 2017, 12:54 AM - Re: LIGHTSABER - OBI-WAN KENOBI - REAL PARTS BUILD - THE JOURNEY HAS BEGUN!~Ridire Fi #44

You ever see this thread?

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php...=1#post3436143

I think most of us have MA205s...
    Why yes I have! And I don't believe that's the correct transistor. The markings just don't line up.

Also, if you can get the dealer to ever send you pictures, ask him for a close up of the fins on the female side... real ones have stamps in them...
    I know, I was hoping to see that too. I love you guys and your stamps!

Come to think of it.... it'd be fun to whack some Aurebesh into my Roman's Mk1 FX!!!!

fezfox said: View Post
    Did you ever post the photos you did have and see what the community here thought of them? (Did look in this thread but couldn't see them?)
    Hey fez! no, I haven't posted the pics I have publicly, so you didn't miss anything, I won't post pics of this particular booster here to insure that dude never sells it. I have shared the photos via PM and they believe it to be genuine. It's just A LOT of money for me, and I have to be 100% certain before I can spend that kind of money on something. For now, I'm a patient person, I can wait until he proves to me that what he's selling is real and unused.
  20. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Jun 29, 2017, 7:49 PM - Re: LIGHTSABER - OBI-WAN KENOBI - REAL PARTS BUILD - THE JOURNEY HAS BEGUN!~Ridire Fi #45

Hey Gang! I found something nifty for my future display case, do you think it'll fit in one of those fancy IKEA curio cabinets?

Name:	Armitage Shanks Faucets and Sink - 01 - Ridire Firean.jpg 
Size:	434.8 KB 
ID:	742293

Name:	Armitage Shanks Faucets and Sink - 02 - Ridire Firean.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	661.5 KB 
ID:	742294

Name:	Armitage Shanks Faucets and Sink - 03 - Ridire Firean.jpg 
Size:	647.8 KB 
ID:	742295

It looks like I get to have my Star Wars themed bathroom, and my Lightsabers...two. As in two of them. Movie, and Chronicles. Maybe, hitting the lottery will play a huge part in that possible future. For now, I have another piece of the puzzle checked off!!

Anybody find another Derwent Mk9 yet? Or another ole wee little cardboard box with a brand new female balance pipe in it? Specimen Hale's Grenade? Box full of "deactivated" British Browning's barrels' business ends?

O.K. back to the grindstone then. I hope to find that correct transistor one of these days. I've been spending WAY too much time looking for it, and need to settle for something close enough I think. I did find an old Ti 1471 4794 7006C in among my old toys. I think I have another one too, but I haven't found it yet. They're tall TO-5 cans, but they're vintage, and free! And if I remember where I got them correctly, they were from the maintenance room of an airplane hanger. So they have a bit of history, and remind me of my Father. I found another tall can TO-5 can type of transistor on line that would be pretty fitting for the saber, but I think the short cans look more the part. The search continues!

Good Luck to all of us currently on this quest! May The Force Be With Us!!!

p.s. these AS knobs have the square hole.
    Last edited by Ridire Firean; Jul 8, 2017 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Switching photo hosting to TheRPF.
    Jun 30, 2017, 9:35 AM - Re: LIGHTSABER - OBI-WAN KENOBI - REAL PARTS BUILD - THE JOURNEY HAS BEGUN!~Ridire Fi #46

Very nice find!
    From
    Brussels
    Jun 30, 2017, 1:29 PM - Re: LIGHTSABER - OBI-WAN KENOBI - REAL PARTS BUILD - THE JOURNEY HAS BEGUN!~Ridire Fi #47

how do you guys find stuff like that... I'm spending hours everyday searching for things and never saw any hanwheels yet...
    very nice score!
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Jun 30, 2017, 2:20 PM - Re: LIGHTSABER - OBI-WAN KENOBI - REAL PARTS BUILD - THE JOURNEY HAS BEGUN!~Ridire Fi #48

Excellent find ... I know I have been glued to the screen for a long time trying to find those ... in the end I only scored 1 'C' via ebay and the other 2 'C's came from the Junkyard

Chaïm
  24. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Jun 30, 2017, 9:50 PM - Re: LIGHTSABER - OBI-WAN KENOBI - REAL PARTS BUILD - THE JOURNEY HAS BEGUN!~Ridire Fi #49

Thanks Guys! It was a great deal of effort finding them, and the close-but not 100% ones too. I thought I was going to stop looking for a while but I'm glad I kept at it as long as I did and found that second set of REAL DEALS! I'm glad both of the sets turned out to be as nice as they are.

I don't want to booger the correct ones, but I am curious how you guys that have the correct knobs got yours apart?

Hey @eethan ! It goes WAY, WAY, WAY, beyond "hours everyday". Some of it is luck (timing), some of it is charm (gentle Jedi Mind Tricks), but mostly it's searching with a .... wait what am I doing? I can't divulge the secret-eBay-sniper's code. That was a close one!!!

Seriously though, I will tell you this and you'll have to figure out the rest... your search results should be in the 10's of thousands. If your search includes either of the following or any combination of the two, you're doing it wrong: "Armitage" "Shanks". Not to say that you might get SUPER LUCKY one day, but I doubt it. Neither of the two auctions I won included any words that would even hint at what they were. KNOW YOUR PREY!!! If you can't distinguish what your looking for from a 0.25" picture on your screen...STUDY MORE!!! And I shouldn't even hint at this, but you need to know where your prey is, and look there accordingly. If you can't figure that one out, get clever, get creative, get a smarter friend to help you out. I want to help further, but,... I might still be looking. And I'm definitely still looking for some other things, so, I sure hope I haven't shot myself in the foot here.

You best not divulge what you want them for either, or the price will go from $10.00 to rediculous in a heartbeat. Thank goodness I knew to keep my mouth shut!

Also, familiarize yourself with eBay's Global Shipping Service, you may need to explain how it works to your seller. If all goes right all they have to do is take the faucets to a drop-off location and G.S.S. does the rest. G.S.S. does NOT SHIP SINKS! If they'll only sell the whole kit and kaboodle, ask them to use Parcel2Go. It's a long wait (15 days U.K. to USA), with vague updates, but it's $300.00 cheaper than shipping via Fed-Ex or UPS, even if you have an account, and no, that is not an exageration.

Did I mention the amount of time required to look for these? It's every waking moment, every free second, when you SHOULD be doing something else, when you COULD be doing something else, and even when you WANT to be doing something else. Though, technically, yes you WANT to find these, it does become a chore. Do it and you'll understand where I'm coming from on this. Do it, and you might end up like me, which is to say that I can't seem to stop looking. I know I need to, I want to stop, but I'm still looking even now.

Then there's all those other parts. SIGH!

I'm just beginning to understand the elation that those at the end of this journey have felt at the end, and a wee bit of the trepidation of what to do when the journey is over too.

Well, back to it then. NO! I mean off to the couch to watch T.V. and get something to eat, or maybe even go to bed and get some well earned rest.

Be careful the path you start down, this one may forever dominate your destiny. <--- Please note, this winking smiley-face is only half kidding.
    Jul 1, 2017, 2:51 AM - Re: LIGHTSABER - OBI-WAN KENOBI - REAL PARTS BUILD - THE JOURNEY HAS BEGUN!~Ridire Fi #50

@Ridire Firean Your search methodology is interesting. I'm still looking vainly for a booster. I have found entire machine guns at $25,000! But no boosters/flash hiders on their own.