Red Hood Hybrid Helmet: Custom Design

Reznor9

Sr Member
The Red Hood helmet scene has been dead for a long time and it seems every new bucket that comes out seems to look extremely similar to other ones already available on the market. Soooooo in the same vain as my Arkham Hybrid Batman Cowl I decided to make something totally different, a hybrid version of the Red Hood. This Red Hood takes from several variants of the DC universe to include Arkham Knight, Rebirth and New 52
Even though the build is nearly complete I'll post progress pics just so you can see the work that went into it.
This item will be available for purchase and is an exclusive design of mine modeled by the talented Stevie at Crimson Coscrafts.

465EFE2F-460D-4645-8ABE-DB0174D96240.jpg

Last edited:
Started it with a concept that went through several revisions.
V1 was an AK RedHood with large eye holes and lines running across its face like the Rebirth variant.

On my Instagram I posted an question of interest into its development and the response was overwhelmingly positive. A day or two later it was revised and the sockets were toned down and cues from the New 52 were given to the eyes to allow a more expressive facial feature. (Thanks to feedback and suggestions by Stevie himself)
V2

Last edited:
After much thought about the smaller eye sockets limiting vision due to the distance the the wearers eyes would actually be positioned from the sockets, a decision was made to add a nose bump. This allowed the wearers face to position closer to the eye sockets. Also gave the faceplate a really wicked profile. This edit completely changed the way the helmet was fit and worn so several elements had to be changed and reshaped so the helmet fit flush and didn't produce a bobblehead effectt.
V3

Finally a prototype model was created for printing.

Last edited:
Couldn't help myself and did a quick paint test to get a feel of the design. Unfortunately it will all be stripped back to primer once I start applying the detail pieces. Taped in some reflective tint in the eye sockets because it looks boss! Loving how this came out so far.

Test fit. Was very precautions on sizing. I see too many red hood helmets that give the wearer that bobblehead look. This one wears pretty close to help maintain that sleek look.

Last edited:
This is looking great. Funds are tight right now, but I may have to knab me one of these a few months down the line and work up a new costume to go with it. Nice work!

looks awesome!!!!!!! good luck.

This is looking great. Funds are tight right now, but I may have to knab me one of these a few months down the line and work up a new costume to go with it. Nice work!

Thanks guys! Just wait until it's finished. I just finished painting the faceplate of the first casting and it looks amazing! Still need to mold the backplate but other than that it's done!

Someone's been busy ~ holy cow!
All of this looks awesome and real clean:thumbsup

thanks man. I get a little obsessed when I get involved in a new project so things have been moving along quick on this one. Although I've already painted and finished all the silver details. I'm just kind of slowly leaking the progress pics until I'm at least done molding the backplate before I reveal more. In the meantime I decided to use a different color red this time around. Previously I was using duplicolor auto paint with a metallic inferno red. Is a beautiful color but more of a deep metallic maroon/red. This time around I tried the duplicolor metalcast series. It's used to give an anodized look to metal and chrome parts. So the first thing I had to do was chrome out the helmet a little because the red paint is transparent and goes on in layers. It's gets its shine from the chrome/silver paint that you basecoat it with. The results were really fantastic.

I didn't take pics of the silver base coat. But this is the first coat of red.

This was either the second or third layer. But each consecutive layer makes the red darker, deeper and adds depth and shine.

Heck yeah!!! Totally awesome dude! How did you figure all of this out in less than a day!?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

Ha! Thanks bro. I started this thread a day ago... but I've actually been working on this on and off for about two and a half weeks.
i finished the paint and everything for the faceplate about two days ago and I think the images would blow you away but I want to wait till I begin the mold on the backplate(maybe layer tonight) before I release them. Had issues with some vendors trying to replicate certain aspects of my design and release a similar product of their own. I was able to shut it down before it went far but now it has me all cautious about revealing too much too soon. Anyhow I want to release the images when I'm ready to start taking pre-orders.

Doesn't really matter, as long as you get the job done. At least you stopped the copycats before they patented it. Probably would have ended badly...

Doesn't really matter, as long as you get the job done. At least you stopped the copycats before they patented it. Probably would have ended badly...

Their product was incredibly inferior in execution, but still was a total rip of my design. I too was happy we were able to resolve it.

Absolutely beautiful!!
What size head does this fit?

Made it to fit my 24" head. But smaller head could fit fine I'm sure. Maybe just add padding.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back