(PIC HEAVY) Matt's Spider-Man: Homecoming Suit build! (Homemade + Stark tech)

maffhewdc

Sr Member
Hey everyone! I'm back and this time with a build for my Homecoming suit! Ever since its debut in the Civil War trailer, I fell in love with it. It would have to be my favorite Spidey suit along with the ASM2 suit. Honestly, I really wasn't planning on making a thread for this until it's all finished but what the heck right?

157647PCN_TomHollandSpiderman005.jpg

Fair warning for the people who'll be keeping an eye on this build: I am an art major, and I have a lot of school projects that I'm working on so this will be an extremely slow build.

For this build, I will be:

1. Using a slightly darker red lycra for the red sections (darker to emphasize the webs) and plain white (of course with a pattern to be printed onto) for the blue sections.

Screen Shot 2017-03-27 at 7.37.17 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-03-27 at 7.36.56 PM.png

2. Having a pattern (provided by the ever so talented Timey Wimey) printed onto the fabrics. I did go on to modify his pattern to better fit my body and replaced the brick patterns on the blues and the dotted patterns on the reds.

Screen Shot 2017-03-27 at 7.41.11 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-03-27 at 7.41.29 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-03-27 at 9.30.56 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-03-27 at 9.29.56 PM.png

3. Puffy painting the entire suit to add texture. I could just go to local printing shop and have the texture screen printed but I like to think that making the suit with my 100% effort would make it a lot more special to me. As you can see in this image, I've tried out a lot of shades of red puffy paint to use on a test print. Using pure red puffy paint just didn't work out since it turns darker when it dries (bottom center left). I even tried acrylic paint and although it almost got the right enough shade, it was extremely rough against the skin (all at the top of the spider). I found it best to first apply a layer of white dots with white puffy paint, leave it to dry for a few minutes, and go over it with the red puffy paint. This makes the red stand out brighter and more vibrant (bottom center right)

DSC_0484.JPG

So far, here's what I have. I started out with one side of the glove since it's a small piece and when i screw up, I could just that piece. The first pic best shows the contrast between the dark fabric and the bright puffy paint and the other would give you an idea of what the weblines would look like when it all comes together, and the dark fabric was really a great choice since the webs stand out.

DSC_0799.JPG

DSC_0800.JPG

I'll try my best to update this thread as often as I can. Thank you guys and wish me luck!

DSC_0484.JPG

Screen Shot 2017-03-27 at 7.36.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-27 at 7.37.17 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-27 at 7.41.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-27 at 7.41.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-27 at 9.29.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-27 at 9.30.56 PM.png

DSC_0799.JPG

DSC_0800.JPG

157647PCN_TomHollandSpiderman005.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Matt's Spider-Man: Homecoming Suit build!

Hey everyone! I'm back and this time with a build for my Homecoming suit! Ever since its debut in the Civil War trailer, I fell in love with it. It would have to be my favorite Spidey suit along with the ASM2 suit. Honestly, I really wasn't planning on making a thread for this until it's all finished but what the heck right? Fair warning for the people who'll be keeping an eye on this build: I am an art major, and I have a lot of school projects that I'm working on so this will be an extremely slow build.

For this build, I will be:

1. Using a slightly darker red lycra for the red sections (darker to emphasize the webs) and plain white (of course with a pattern to be printed onto) for the blue sections.

View attachment 717223View attachment 717222

2. Have a pattern (provided by the ever so talented Timey Wimey) printed onto the fabrics. I did go on to modify his pattern to better fit my body and replaced the brick patterns on the blues and the dotted patterns on the reds.

View attachment 717224View attachment 717225 View attachment 717227View attachment 717226

3. Puffy painting the entire suit to add texture. I could just go to local printing shop and have the texture screen printed but I like to think that making the suit with my 100% effort would make it a lot more special to me. As you can see in this image, I've tried out a lot of shades of red puffy paint to use on a test print. Using pure red puffy paint just didn't work out since it turns darker when it dries (bottom center left). I even tried acrylic paint and although it almost got the right enough shade, it was extremely rough against the skin (all at the top of the spider). I found it best to first apply a layer of white dots with white puffy paint, leave it to dry for a few minutes, and go over it with the red puffy paint. This makes the red stand out brighter and more vibrant (bottom center right)

View attachment 717221

So far, here's what I have. I started out with one side of the glove since it's a small piece and when i screw up, I could just that piece. The first pic best shows the contrast between the dark fabric and the bright puffy paint and the other would give you an idea of what the weblines would look like when it all comes together, and the dark fabric was really a great choice since the webs stand out.

View attachment 717229

View attachment 717230

I'll try my best to update this thread as often as I can. Thank you guys and wish me luck!
good luck bro!! I am a school kid too ,and while you are making this spiderman costume, I am making
an iron man 43 black gold variant.
it will take a lot if time to finish the
puffy paint.

Sent from my SM-J7108 using Tapatalk

good luck bro!! I am a school kid too ,and while you are making this spiderman costume, I am making
an iron man 43 black gold variant.
it will take a lot if time to finish the
puffy paint.

Thanks! Goodluck with your build too. Mine WILL take a lot of time. That last pic with 40% of the glove puffy painted took like three or four hours to do. Imagine how long the rest of the suit will take :D

Thanks! Goodluck with your build too. Mine WILL take a lot of time. That last pic with 40% of the glove puffy painted took like three or four hours to do. Imagine how long the rest of the suit will take :D
wow! actually I am puffy painting miles Morales now

All in all, one side of the glove took me about 10 hours to do. There's still a looooot of work to do. Next update will probably be when all the sides of the gloves have been painted red, and will be then outlined with the black pinstripes

DSC_0805~2.JPG

All in all, one side of the glove took me about 10 hours to do. There's still a looooot of work to do. Next update will probably be when all the sides of the gloves have been painted red, and will be then outlined with the black pinstripes

View attachment 717495
that will be a long time.
69bbec2c0ad20bb65568bad361354ea0.jpg

908ff6c5f186a786bb73e4a972ad8321.jpg

I am making both now [emoji23]
got my finger cut...

This looks like it'll take a monumental amount of work to get the detail down for the whole suit. Kudos to you for taking it on!

This looks like it'll take a monumental amount of work to get the detail down for the whole suit. Kudos to you for taking it on!

Thanks! I was debating on whether I'd leave it to the dye sub and make the patterns look flat or if I'd puffy paint the suit and give it a lot more pop. Ultimately, the end goal was to make something that would look screen accurate.

Thanks! I was debating on whether I'd leave it to the dye sub and make the patterns look flat or if I'd puffy paint the suit and give it a lot more pop. Ultimately, the end goal was to make something that would look screen accurate.
I think the screw accurate suit is made with other than spandex

I'm sure you meant 'screen' accurate, but I'm chuckling because you described the end result of most of my work.. screw accurate :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Minor update. I just got so much to do for school, I got surveys to conduct, digital paintings to finish, it's just hell. Luckily we're on a break for a week so I have some time to work on the suit. I'm still working on the second glove piece. Still got two and a half of those to do.

mtc5j4Xn.jpg-large.jpeg

But in the mean time, I had created the basic shape of my own front spider, which I think is the most accurate so far, and had it 3D printed. I'll smooth out the sides and make the edges of the legs more rounded and I'll definitely add the 3d extrusion shape of the body. I'm still thinking about casting it in rubber latex, but I have heard that latex tends to shrink and rot in time (can anybody confirm?). There are no suppliers of urethane rubber anywhere in the Philippines or not that I know of, so liquid latex, puffy paint, or maybe even E6000 are my only options for casting. If anyone from the Philippines could help me out here to find urethane or anybody with advice on what's the best material to use for casting, that'd be great.

jEOHPWqB.jpg-large.jpeg

Last edited:

Hey all! Update on the front spider: instead of using the 3d printed spider and sanding it down, I cast the emblem in resin and sanded that down to get the shape right because sanding a 3d printed object takes hella long for me even with a power sander. So far I've got the body done. I'm still making a mold of the legs. But I think I did a pretty good job with the body.

DSC_0852.JPG

DSC_0853.JPG

Here's how it looks like on my print compared to the actual suit

_20170414_171838.JPG Screen Shot 2017-04-14 at 5.36.17 PM.png

That's it for now. Stay tuned!

Last edited:

Hey all! Update on the front spider: instead of using the 3d printed spider and sanding it down, I cast the emblem in resin and sanded that down to get the shape right because sanding a 3d printed object takes hella long for me even with a power sander. So far I've got the body done. I'm still making a mold of the legs. But I think I did a pretty good job with the body.

View attachment 721261

View attachment 721262

Here's how it looks like on my print compared to the actual suit

View attachment 721263 View attachment 721264

That's it for now. Stay tuned!
how can you cast things with resin ?teach me pls

Used this as my guide.

I used polyester resin to make my mold as I didn't have access to silicone, brushed the mold with petroleum jelly and poured in some polyester resin for casting

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back