(PIC HEAVY) Matt's Spider-Man: Homecoming Suit build! (Homemade + Stark tech)

Re: Matt's Spider-Man: Homecoming Suit build!

That looks fantastic! How’s the visibility?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Visibility is actually really great. Things get a tiny tiny bit dark as per usual lens visibility. I'm starting to drift away from the clear top layers over the mesh so the lenses don't fog up. It's a tiny sacrifice of accuracy for comfort.

If you go to amazon and type "white pc fan filters", you'll get what I used. They come in packs of 10 sheets i believe. Perfect for Spidey mesh.

These?
a819089f86975ba46c1287978ec0aa78.png

Yup! They work wonders, are easy to bend, they're more durable than vinyl, and the best part: FOG FREE! though you do have to paint the other side black to see well out of them.

Nice! I've been looking for a good fog free alternative for lenses!

Somebody on instagram (_mario_hudson_) dm'd me a pic of the homemade web shooters. I don't know if they're the real thing or not, but they look like they are.

19648203_1341682182553232_389315201_o.png

Hey all! Update on the front spider: instead of using the 3d printed spider and sanding it down, I cast the emblem in resin and sanded that down to get the shape right because sanding a 3d printed object takes hella long for me even with a power sander. So far I've got the body done. I'm still making a mold of the legs. But I think I did a pretty good job with the body.

View attachment 721261

View attachment 721262

Here's how it looks like on my print compared to the actual suit

View attachment 721263 View attachment 721264

That's it for now. Stay tuned!

You should increase the body size of the chest spit just a little bit. Your gaps around the sides are larger than on the real suit not by much but when looking at the pics side by side it's noticeable. Will anyone notice probably not but if you have time and the ability I personally would have made it a little bigger. Other than that it's looking amazing (no pun intended)

Update!

I finished puffy painting two pieces of the gloves which sadly I won't be able to use. They were ready to be sewn and before I did, I tried sewing a test glove with some scrap fabric I had and the middle, ring, and pinky fingers were about half an inch too long plus everything looked pretty loose.

View attachment 723431

I could adjust the stitching and just sew into the fingers, but I want everything to be screen accurate so I don't want a few missing weblines on the gloves. I sized everything in the pattern to fit my body, but I completely forgot to resize the gloves. So yeah, that's a huge setback.

I also played around with the puffy painted parts and added the black pinstripes and I really love the "indented" look that it's giving.

View attachment 723432

I'm currently working on the boots while developing a new glove pattern that would be comfortable and have more accurate seams.

I admire your patience. I think puffy p,ainting .good dots would drive me ****ing mbad. Then after hat must have been close to 24hrs of painting to find out the gloves are too big!!..........Oh man I'm sure id have thrown or broken something lol. I envy your patience.

Hey all! I've made some moving lenses today! I still have to work out the mechanism to be controlled by the jaw, but other than that I think it's looking great! Basically what my idea here is that when I lower my jaw, the eyes squint. I'm taking some inspiration from lensesfactoryhk, but I'm doing a reversed version of his mechanism because I do want the eyes to be opened by default as I realized that it would get tiring to have your mouth open the whole time you want to keep the eyes open, which is his default expression in the trailers we saw so far. I was going to wait for McLean Krieger's mechanical eye lenses files, but I eventually decided on working on a simpler design that doesn't need any hand controls or wiring or cables around the suit. I'll probably get his face shell though.

The default opened eyes:
View attachment 736689

and the squinted eyes
View attachment 736690

You can see it in action on my instagram post. https://www.instagram.com/p/BVYj-nKlqWv/

This is not the final product by the way, it's just a test on a scrap Gimpee faceshell that I made.

Your effing skills know no end lol

I admire your patience. I think puffy p,ainting .good dots would drive me ****ing mbad. Then after hat must have been close to 24hrs of painting to find out the gloves are too big!!..........Oh man I'm sure id have thrown or broken something lol. I envy your patience.

Thanks! Making something that you want to be perfect takes a lot of patience. It's all gonna be worth it in the end.

Here's a bit more about the homemade suit. When I first got the red hoodie, the first thing I did was cut off the sleeves.

View attachment 738866

View attachment 738881

Tried them on, and they were way too loose and long on me. I normally wouldn't have a problem with this as I like my clothes loose on me rather than fit, but the movie suit does hug his body pretty fairly tight.

View attachment 738875

So, I reduced the width and altered the height until I got what I thought was accurate. I also unstitched the pockets and restitched them the way the movie had them. I replaced the zipper tab with an accurate one, replaced the drawstring with a shade of red that matches the hoodie, and I (temporarily) spray painted the drawstring's aglets gold.

View attachment 738874

View attachment 738880

It may not look like it in this pic, but it does fit very snug and it looks a bit loose just because my arm's raised up.

PS, I painted the logo before set pics came out. I would normally redo it to get it accurate, but I like how it looks and it fits the "homemade" look too.

Sewing now? What don't you know how to do? I'm pretty sure by the time your actual homecoming suit is done it'll probably be the best suit out there. It's looking better than anything I've seen so far. Seriously excited to see it finished.

Thanks KidCas5154 ! My grandmother owned a sewing machine and let me play around with if when I was a kid. Never knew that it would pay off someday :lol And fun fact, the sewing machine I use is probably more than 10 years old and the motors and pedal do not work anymore, so I have to manually make the sewing machine run by spinning the hand wheel to sew the entire suit. For the entire bottom half of my TASM2 suit, I manually spun the hand wheel of my grandmother's sewing machine.

Also, while it may not be manufactured to perfection and accuracy, I do think that the effort I put into it would make this my best suit thus far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Matt's Spider-Man: Homecoming Suit build! (Homemade + Stark tech)

love it. any updates for the underoos ?

For now I'm not puffy painting any further (reserving that for my 6 month trip). I am however, working on the face shell and web shooters. Had kenlandrum's web shooter files printed but I'll be sculpting and detailing them to get something more accurate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hey man! I'm not very active on this site anymore, but I'm just blown away by your work. Your TASM2 build was great, and you just keep killing it! That puffpaint detailing on the Stark suit is just insane. I see alot of people do the dots by hand but it always looks messy. You really replicated the screen printing effect perfectly. The shutter lenses really look great, the fact that you made the lenses so detailed makes it look as if they are actual shutters. Great work on the homemade suit aswell.

I'm 17 and I actually live in Sweden, do you have facebook? Hit me up man, maybe we can suit up for the homeocming sequel premiere? Not enough people are doing that stuff around here, and I ever had a buddy to do it with. I'm getting all excited over here lol :D

Edit: Realized you're only moving here for 6 months, what a bummer.

Last edited:

Hey man! I'm not very active on this site anymore, but I'm just blown away by your work. Your TASM2 build was great, and you just keep killing it! That puffpaint detailing on the Stark suit is just insane. I see alot of people do the dots by hand but it always looks messy. You really replicated the screen printing effect perfectly. The shutter lenses really look great, the fact that you made the lenses so detailed makes it look as if they are actual shutters. Great work on the homemade suit aswell.

I'm 17 and I actually live in Sweden, do you have facebook? Hit me up man, maybe we can suit up for the homeocming sequel premiere? Not enough people are doing that stuff around here, and I ever had a buddy to do it with. I'm getting all excited over here lol :D

What a shame! Would have wanted to suit up with someone hahaha. But the Stark suit is far from being done. If I may ask, where do you live in Sweden? I got a scholarship so I'll be studying at Uppsala University's Gotland Campus for 6 months

dude do you got any costumes? you seem like a cool guy.

Sent from my SM-J7108 using Tapatalk

What a shame! Would have wanted to suit up with someone hahaha. But the Stark suit is far from being done. If I may ask, where do you live in Sweden? I got a scholarship so I'll be studying at Uppsala University's Gotland Campus for 6 months

First off congrats for getting the scholarship! I live in a small city called Kristianstad, it's actually 6 hours from Uppsala, but I have been there a few times. When I first read your post I thought you were gonna more here permanently and got all excited haha. Just watched Homecoming yesterday, really brilliant. Sorry if all this was a little off topic. I will let you carry on with your build now:)

dude do you got any costumes? you seem like a cool guy.

Sent from my SM-J7108 using Tapatalk

I do have quite a few. You can check some earlier threads I have made but I'm not very active on this site anymore. Right now I'm working on a Raimi Spider-Man costume, but this thread is no place for my costumes or projects. Let's get back on topic and discuss Matthew's incredible work instead:)

Tried out dyeing the blank squares on the blue sections. I took a dried out marker and washed the inside and poured in the navy blue fabric paint mixed with a bit of water inside the ink cartridge thingy. Here's a comparison of the dyed section (left) vs the undyed section (right). The blue definitely got a richer color when dyed.

DSC_1340~2.JPG

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back