(PIC HEAVY) Matt's Spider-Man: Homecoming Suit build! (Homemade + Stark tech)

Re: Matt's Spider-Man: Homecoming Suit build!

Had an unfortunate accident with the previous mold, so I'm making a new one with 4mm, 2mm, and 1mm sintra boards. I figured this would be a great way to show how I did it.

So I got a reference image of the back spider and traced all the defining lines in Illustrator. I printed out two of these at around 7 inches in height.

DSC_1119.JPG

I cut out one piece at the outermost line and another piece at the inner line. The piece that I cut out at the outer line would be traced onto the 4mm sintra board and that's what I'll cut out. The piece that I cut out at the inner line would be traced onto the 2mm sintra board.

DSC_1115.JPG

After both pieces are cut out, you'd have to glue them both to a separate board with even spaces between the two pieces. They should look like this.

DSC_1116.JPG

If you wanna go a step further, you can add the lines that go inside the spider by tracing them onto 1 mm sintra board, cutting them out and gluing that onto the 2mm piece. I'm not at that part yet as I don't have any 1mm sintra board on hand right now but here's an idea of how it would look like (not the final output)

DSC_1117.JPG

I'd either plastidip this or give it a dusty coat of spray paint to get some texture on it. I'm thinking about casting a lot of these and sell them, but I have just around two months to do that before I move to Sweden for 6 months. But we'll see what happens.

Sorry for the lack of updates, but so far I have two pieces of the blues fully puff painted. One chest piece and one arm piece. For the reds, well that one boot piece is all that I've finished so far. But here are some pics to show you guys how well the red and blues look together. I think they look great! I'd still have to paint the back of the blue fabric with some navy blue soft fabric paint to hide the pattern.

DSC_1107.JPGDSC_1108.JPG

PS, the pics were taken prior to finishing the blue section.

Also, I'm a bit preoccupied with preparing documents for my move to Sweden, so things might move a bit slow

Hey all! I've made some moving lenses today! I still have to work out the mechanism to be controlled by the jaw, but other than that I think it's looking great! Basically what my idea here is that when I lower my jaw, the eyes squint. I'm taking some inspiration from lensesfactoryhk, but I'm doing a reversed version of his mechanism because I do want the eyes to be opened by default as I realized that it would get tiring to have your mouth open the whole time you want to keep the eyes open, which is his default expression in the trailers we saw so far. I was going to wait for McLean Krieger's mechanical eye lenses files, but I eventually decided on working on a simpler design that doesn't need any hand controls or wiring or cables around the suit. I'll probably get his face shell though.

You can see it in action on my instagram post. https://www.instagram.com/p/BVYj-nKlqWv/

This is not the final product by the way, it's just a test on a scrap Gimpee faceshell that I made.

Last edited:

Hey all! I've made some moving lenses today! I still have to work out the mechanism to be controlled by the jaw, but other than that I think it's looking great! Basically what my idea here is that when I lower my jaw, the eyes squint. I'm taking some inspiration from lensesfactoryhk, but I'm doing a reversed version of his mechanism because I do want the eyes to be opened by default as I realized that it would get tiring to have your mouth open the whole time you want to keep the eyes open, which is his default expression in the trailers we saw so far. I was going to wait for McLean Krieger's mechanical eye lenses files, but I eventually decided on working on a simpler design that doesn't need any hand controls or wiring or cables around the suit. I'll probably get his face shell though.

The default opened eyes:
View attachment 736689

and the squinted eyes
View attachment 736690

You can see it in action on my instagram post. https://www.instagram.com/p/BVYj-nKlqWv/

This is not the final product by the way, it's just a test on a scrap Gimpee faceshell that I made.
Looks great man, I do believe his eyes are open by default and I wouldn't want to have my mouth open all the time to keep the eyes open [emoji1] I wish you luck my friend[emoji106]

Sent from my ALCATEL A564C using Tapatalk

you're the boss!

Sent from my SM-J7108 using Tapatalk

Thanks! but there are some people out there with waaaaaay better mechanisms than mine like lensesfactoryhk's Cavin Lam and McLean Krieger. I just went for an illusion that makes you think that each shutter moves, when in reality there are just two.

I'll be focusing on my Homemade suit for now, there's a con I'll be attending and I wanna wear the homemade suit. I'll be working on the Stark suit when I move because apparently I have a lot of free time hahaha.

I've finished the web shooters on my homemade suit! The cartridges were modelled by Troy Cavalieri here on the forums, I just drew out templates from each side and constructed them with sintra board. I *might* add a few more details, but for now I'm pretty satisfied with what I have. I'll be making the triggers tomorrow.

IMG_20170625_191838_097.jpgIMG_20170625_191838_098.jpg

I'm sorry for the lack of updates, but the Stark suit is pretty much on hold now. I might do little bits of work on it here and there though. If you wanna see more updates, you can definitely follow me on instagram (maffhewdc)

Last edited:

Here's a bit more about the homemade suit. When I first got the red hoodie, the first thing I did was cut off the sleeves.

DSC_1193.JPG

DSC_1197.JPG

Tried them on, and they were way too loose and long on me. I normally wouldn't have a problem with this as I like my clothes loose on me rather than fit, but the movie suit does hug his body pretty fairly tight.

Screenshot_2017-05-07-18-12-52-1.png

So, I reduced the width and altered the height until I got what I thought was accurate. I also unstitched the pockets and restitched them the way the movie had them. I replaced the zipper tab with an accurate one, replaced the drawstring with a shade of red that matches the hoodie, and I (temporarily) spray painted the drawstring's aglets gold.

DSC_1191.JPG

DSC_1200.JPG

It may not look like it in this pic, but it does fit very snug and it looks a bit loose just because my arm's raised up.

PS, I painted the logo before set pics came out. I would normally redo it to get it accurate, but I like how it looks and it fits the "homemade" look too.

Attachments

• DSC_1191.JPG
    DSC_1191.JPG
    748.1 KB · Views: 344
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back