(PIC HEAVY) Matt's Spider-Man: Homecoming Suit build! (Homemade + Stark tech)

Re: Matt's Spider-Man: Homecoming Suit build!

Not really sure about that, maybe it could be used as an original but i think it'd be hard to use for molding or casting. You could try searching online to see if it works

I think it's worth mentioning that I am working on the hoodie suit as well. Drew the spider on with some chalk and painted over it with acrylic paint. I didn't do a perfect job so I could get that homemade look. Here's a pic. (sorry for the real bad lighting)

QD7URYMZ.jpg-large.jpgScreen Shot 2017-04-15 at 7.38.29 PM.png

I'll wash off the chalk with some water when the paint fully dries.

Update!

I finished puffy painting two pieces of the gloves which sadly I won't be able to use. They were ready to be sewn and before I did, I tried sewing a test glove with some scrap fabric I had and the middle, ring, and pinky fingers were about half an inch too long plus everything looked pretty loose.

Screen Shot 2017-04-23 at 11.56.05 AM.png

I could adjust the stitching and just sew into the fingers, but I want everything to be screen accurate so I don't want a few missing weblines on the gloves. I sized everything in the pattern to fit my body, but I completely forgot to resize the gloves. So yeah, that's a huge setback.

I also played around with the puffy painted parts and added the black pinstripes and I really love the "indented" look that it's giving.

18012067_1838285523055936_5474070118084378624_n.jpg

I'm currently working on the boots while developing a new glove pattern that would be comfortable and have more accurate seams.

Alrighty! School is officially done so I have some time to work on this! While puffy painting the reds, I started puffying the blues.

DSC_1066.JPG

I did mess up when I had the file printed, I sent the old version of Timey Wimey's pattern that I modified (which had the checkerboard pattern on the blues way too small) instead of sending the version with the larger pattern. So what I'm doing here is I puff paint 2x2 boxes so that way the pattern would not be a pain to fill up. To hide the smaller boxes, I'll be painting the back of the fabric with some navy blue textile paint which would also give the blue a richer color. Here's a test piece painted with navy blue compared to the unpainted. It's still there, but barely noticeable from a distance.

DSC_1068.JPGDSC_1069.JPG

I've made a new glove pattern and while it's not 100% seam/pattern accuracy, I think it's pretty close.

Screen Shot 2017-05-30 at 7.11.16 PM.png

You can check out my instagram (maffhewdc) to see more updates like the lenses and all. I post more stuff there than I do here.

Last edited:

I'm still puffy painting one of the four pieces needed for the boots, but I just got the boxing shoes that I'll be using! My dad bought these for me overseas as I couldn't find the right shoes here in the Philippines. No red variant though, but I don't really think it matters that much when it goes under the suit.

17950065_120300003149920172_583245806_o.jpg 17948612_120300003140378954_318678010_o.jpg

I couldn't wait so I cut off the tops and unstitched the tongue.

DSC_1079.JPG

Due to sizing differences, they were probably two sizes larger than my actual foot size (and I'm always comfortable with one size larger) so they were really loose on me when I removed the tongue. I got worried that they would look way too big on the actual suit. But instead of giving up so easily, I slipped them into my homemade suit's red socks and tried them on. They actually fit well, still a bit loose but I think it can be fixed by either adding an extra insole or wearing thicker socks inside. After looking at reference pics of the real thing, I think it actually looks great.

DSC_1078.JPG Screen Shot 2017-06-01 at 6.37.13 PM.png

Though I will have to paint the silver linings on the shoe with black so they won't show. But that's not gonna be a problem at all. I'll be posting more updates soon. Thanks for viewing!

Just something I wanna show off, I took the almost finished puffy painted piece outside and I just love how it's looking! The shiny weblines really do make it look like they're indented.

DSC_1084.JPG

DSC_1088.JPG

This is truly phenomenal. Creative and mindblowingly beautiful. The precision required for that level of puff paint intricacy is astounding. Looking forward to the final project mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also if you'd divulge the details of whatever apparatus you're using to apply the puff-paint with, I would be forever in your debt. I'm going to begin a similar texturizing journey the moment my suit gets here, and I'm desperate to reach your same level of beauty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

to conclude,did you use white puffy paint,and painted them with red acrylic ?

Sent from my SM-J7108 using Tapatalk

This is truly phenomenal. Creative and mindblowingly beautiful. The precision required for that level of puff paint intricacy is astounding. Looking forward to the final project mate. Also if you'd divulge the details of whatever apparatus you're using to apply the puff-paint with, I would be forever in your debt. I'm going to begin a similar texturizing journey the moment my suit gets here, and I'm desperate to reach your same level of beauty.

Thanks! I've always had a soft spot for detail and accuracy. And I'm studying at an art school, so that definitely helped me learn and appreciate the beauty of small details and how they contribute a lot to the whole thing.

Well this is the brand of puffy paint that I'm using: Dimensional Fabric Paint by Plaid.

DSC_1090.JPG

For the white and red dots on the reds of the suit, I don't use any applicator tips or anything, I just use what comes with the bottle.

DSC_1092.JPG

You can see how I use it in my instagram post here:
[video]https://www.instagram.com/p/BSYYuJdl-AE/?taken-by=maffhewdc[/video]

For the blue sections of the suit, I use the tips that you get from mechanical pencils. I took the pointy thing out of the housing and I wedged that into the nozzle of the original bottle's tip and wrapped tape around the nozzle to secure it.

DSC_1093.JPG

DSC_1091.JPG

You can see how I use it in my instagram post here:
[video]https://www.instagram.com/p/BUsi3mUFItc/?taken-by=maffhewdc[/video]

Basically that's it. I don't use anything too fancy, I tend to look for alternatives around home when doing stuff like this. Good luck on your build!

to conclude,did you use white puffy paint,and painted them with red acrylic ?Sent from my SM-J7108 using Tapatalk
I first cover the whole thing with one layer of white puffy painted dots. After that, I go over them again with red puffy paint. The purpose of the white is that it reflects light so the red looks brighter.

Alright so if you've been following me on instagram and checking out my stories, you'll know that I've started working on the back spider. I created a mold with about seven layers of vellum board and glued those together to get the shape and extrusion that I wanted. I then spray painted that with thick coats of black to smooth out any marks of glue and small imperfections. It's actually my first time playing around with liquid latex, so I was quite excited. In my first attempt, I mixed some red acrylic paint with the liquid latex to get that nice red tint when the latex dries. I left it to dry for about 10 hours. After demolding it, well.... it didn't turn out so good.

DSC_1101.JPG

The legs got stretched too far out and there were pores everywhere even though I used a squeeze bottle to apply the liquid latex. It looked terrible. But then again, it was my first time with latex. I researched on what I could have done wrong. First of all, the piece got so overstretched because it wasn't dry enough. Second, the pores on the cast piece were due to the acrylic paint and the liquid latex not being mixed well enough. And finally, I learned that one must apply a netted fabric or something similar to avoid it overstretching.

So I cleaned up the mold, refined it to get the engraved lines on the spider a bit deeper and I poured in just the liquid latex without any mix of acrylic paint.

DSC_1080.JPG

Then I left it to dry overnight before I applied the netted fabric and added another coat of latex. So to avoid my previous mistake, I resisted all urge to touch or remove the latex from the mold. I left that to dry for a whole day before I demolded it today (the morning after I added the fabric). I spread powder all over it to avoid the latex sticking to itself, powdered up my hands as well and pulled out the cast from the mold. And voila!

DSC_1098.JPG

I love how it turned out! It was well worth the wait and you do learn from your mistakes.

DSC_1103.JPG

Trimmed.

Here's a before and after pic.

DSC_1102.JPG

Love how this is coming together. Stay tuned for more updates!

did you make the mold freehand?

Sent from my SM-J7108 using Tapatalk

If you're asking if I used 3d printed parts to make the mold, no. I glued together 7 sheets of vellum board and used an xacto knife to cut out the shape of the spider and all the layers that I used to make this

this build is looking great so far! wish i had the build for a Spidey suit, a bit too bulky. I wish this stuff was around when i was an art major,i would've been making costumes nonstop

As somebody that has puff painted every square inch of my suit, you're doing an amazing job. I know the hours and steady hands it takes. Keep up the good work.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back