YET ANOTHER Kylo Ren BS mod

toothboy

At the risk of redundancy, here is my Black Series/Disney mod. No progress pics since I'm lazy.

Nothing really new here, just sharing the end result.

kylo6_zpsjduejiuy.jpg

kylo2_zpsoydij6cl.jpg

kylo3_zps9pcfsyqv.jpg

kylo7_zpschicdoj0.jpg

kylo8_zps7ah81nm3.jpg

Damn could use some steps! I haven't started mine yet, but one reason I'm stalling is I'm really not sure how to handle the mouthplate.

So ANY pointers would be great!

Seems like more and more people are getting that same textured look down. From filing a fire brick between layers of black spray paint, to soaking cans in icy water, to splattering on resin, etc. Any tips about how you did it would be great.

Damn could use some steps! I haven't started mine yet, but one reason I'm stalling is I'm really not sure how to handle the mouthplate.

So ANY pointers would be great!

Will be happy to answer any questions here or on PM/email. I'm busy until Friday but will post some info from my build. Feel free to PM me though.

Seems like more and more people are getting that same textured look down. From filing a fire brick between layers of black spray paint, to soaking cans in icy water, to splattering on resin, etc. Any tips about how you did it would be great.

Be happy to outline my steps. I just figured at this point I was kinda late to the game and that no one would really be interested.

Friday night after the kids go to bed I'll post some info on my process. As I said in my other post, feel free to PM me if you have a specific question though. Cheers

Al,

I sanded as much of the helmet down as I could to get rid of the texture, then I just started adding Evercoat Polyester Glazing Putty on it. I built up a layer just thick enough to cover the surface of the helmet. I originally didn't intend on doing this, but I just couldn't get the texture smooth enough to my liking. So basically after all was said and done the majority of the helmet (not the faceplate) had a layer of Evercoat. It sands easily and was easy to work with. I then filled in any irregularities with Bondo spot putty (the red stuff). I went a little overboard but it got me the look I was going for.

Then I primed with filler primer, sanded, and hit any irregularities with more spot putty, then reprimed and resanded. For painting, I used Rustoleum Painter's Touch Semi-gloss, Satin, and Flat (all black). I started off with a base coat of flat, then I built up several layers using the spatter technique. I did not chill the cans but that would have worked just fine as well. Basically I held the button down just enough for the paint to spatter out. Less pressure will give you bigger spatters and more pressure will give you smaller spatters. I started with Semi gloss and did bigger spatters, let it dry for 20 min or so, then went to the satin. Then to the flat. Repeated with the semi gloss doing smaller spatters, then satin, then flat. Finally I did one last coat with small spatters using just the satin and flat. Turned out pretty well. Did not use a clear coat.

Of course after letting it dry/cure for a couple of days I did weathering, using a combination of Rub n Buff, drybrushing Testor's metalizer, and airbrushing.

Hope this helps and if you need any clarification on anything let me know.

Last edited:
Thanks! That helps a lot actually, as the spatter technique was what I planned to do. A friend recently bought a helmet on sale and had it shipped to me. Gonna try to get this guy done in time for SDCC, and I really wanna try more w/ his than I did with mine (which has no Disney parts and still has too much texture).

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back