MOM Y-Wing build' Gold 3 Finished!

Boba Flint

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I started this build back in the late 90s. When the Magic of Myth tour provided the best way to get any Y wing reference.
It was a slow build but when it came to the neck after about three tries to make it I got so frustrated that I put the model in my closet and there it stayed for over 10 years.
New donor kits were found more pics of the Y wing models were collected but I did nothing with my scratch build.

478 by flicks fda, on Flickr
398 by flicks fda, on Flickr
482 by flicks fda, on Flickr
479 by flicks fda, on Flickr
480 by flicks fda, on Flickr
487 by flicks fda, on Flickr
485 by flicks fda, on Flickr

Until a few months ago, when I got my build out and started to work on it again. I made some upgrades to my model. Replacing wrong kit parts with the correct ones,and such. The biggest change I did was to remove my engine greeblies and replace them with the set Moffeaton made available. I also used the new neck that Dave G made available as an open source. Eventually I will get prints of the Y-Wing head he made as well. But for now this is where I'm at.

485 by flicks fda, on Flickr
IMG_0001y wing Scratch Built studio scale Y-Wing by flicks fda, on Flickr
IMG_0002 Scratch Built studio scale Y-Wing by flicks fda, on Flickr
IMG_0002y wingScratch Built studio scale Y-Wing by flicks fda, on Flickr
Scratch Built studio scale Y-Wing b by flicks fda, on Flickr
IMG_0008 Scratch Built studio scale Y-Wing by flicks fda, on Flickr
IMG_0005 Scratch Built studio scale Y-Wing by flicks fda, on Flickr

Last edited:
Re: MOM Y-Wing build

Nice! I am very interested in this. I would like to do a MOM Y some day also. What version of the guns above the canopy and plug on top of the main fuselage are you going to use, as they seam to be changed a few times over the years on this bird?

Lovin' it! It's a better world for having yet another Y in it! Looking forward to seeing the rest. A link to this thread has been added to the One-Stop Y-Wing Sticky.

Last edited:

Nice! I am very interested in this. I would like to do a MOM Y some day also. What version of the guns above the canopy and plug on top of the main fuselage are you going to use, as they seam to be changed a few times over the years on this bird?

I'm using the BF 109 guns. There is a pic of this miniature that clearly shows the 109 guns.
It also shows a detail that seems to be unique to model. Currently this miniature has this part in front of the LEM body:
12 McLaren M23 C by flicks fda, on Flickr
We see this on the the TIE killer and Triangles as well. But apparently the MOM Y wing originaly has this part from the M 23 McLaren ( which I don't have ;( )

12 McLaren M23 D by flicks fda, on Flickr

Very cool! I think I will stick with the original BF 109 guns also when I get to this project. So now the question is does anyone know if this was the original rear plug cover or a make shift one?
Star Wars - Gold Y-Wing (27)-2.jpg

Great build so far Flint! It's good to see someone tackle the MOM Y.

I have a favor to ask: can you show close up pics of the bottoms of the big rectangular kettenkrad parts? I'm trying to detail my Ladd Y and it looks like the same configuration as in the one fuzzy photo I have of that area. I can make out half the parts in your pic of the bottom, but would like to see more detail. I have a feeling they're half centurion parts chopped up.

Awesome!! Subscribed to this for paint updates, as I just got my Gold Leader y-wing in primer too. Love to learn from guys like you!

That is a really beautiful build. I have always loved the y-wing for all it greeble madness.

Looking great! Following your progress, and very interested in watching how you do things.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back