San Diego Comic Con 2017

Cstandi1

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Did anyone else manage to score pre-sale tickets? My wife and I got lucky and got all of the tickets we wanted, and found a condo that was available about 3 blocks from the convention site. Just need to get a good price on plan tickets and we are all set. I hoping Adam Savage and Tested host a party this year. Last year was our first Comic Con and there wasn't one that year.

I've been going something like 35 years and only missed once and that was by choice, couldn't get passes this time despite four of us logged on.
Have to see how the general public offering goes I guess, we will be creating more accounts to increase odds. Failing that I know someone who knows someone but that is never a sure thing nor is it pleasant to impose on anyone for that kind of thing.

I only go one day too, I think they need to ration the tickets but they don't stop people from buying up all the days they can when they get in.

We got tickets for three days which I don't feel is unreasonable. I don't know how you could see it all in one day. My wife is also in a wheel chair so that does add some extra time to our visit. That plush carpet in some of the booths leads to a workout pushing her around lol.

I went to SDCC from 1976 to 2009. I won't go anymore until they get it the hell out of San Diego. It has more than outgrown the space and anymore, it's too crowded to be fun. I'll go back once they move, not until. Until then, I'm more than happy to just go to Wondercon, which is next week. It's a much better con.

There are bigger convention centers out there, but the weather in San Diego climate is hard to argue with. Atlanta's convention center is massive but Atlanta weather is absolutely oppressive in July, so is Dallas and most of the other cities with facilities larger than San Diego's.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think Adam is throwing his Cinephile parties anymore. He didn't last year but I'll ask Norm and Frank.

A guy can dream lol. I know they are an absolutely bear to plan, and he certainly seems just as (or more) busy as he was filming Mythbusters. Not to mention the theft from 2015.

There are bigger convention centers out there, but the weather in San Diego climate is hard to argue with. Atlanta's convention center is massive but Atlanta weather is absolutely oppressive in July, so is Dallas and most of the other cities with facilities larger than San Diego's.

The only one that can really handle it is Vegas, whose convention facilities are absolutely massive and can handle whatever size Comicon wants to grow to. They have been screwed over by San Diego time and time again, they've been promised that the convention center would double in size, only to have the city turn down the plan. When they come up for renewal in the next couple of years, hopefully they decide to give up and leave. Who cares about weather, you're spending the whole weekend inside anyhow.

Yeah, I'm obviously not as up on the politics. You would think the city would want to support an event that brings over 100,000 people to town.

Given I've only been once, but there were three or 4 outdoor secondary sites last year and tons of people waiting around outside for various reasons. Not a bad wait when it is 80 in San Diego, another story totally when it is 100+ in Atlanta.

I could get behind vegas, probably no need for anything to be outside at that point. I'm sure it would also drastically increase the audience size for some of the more popular panels.

Yeah, I'm obviously not as up on the politics. You would think the city would want to support an event that brings over 100,000 people to town.

Given I've only been once, but there were three or 4 outdoor secondary sites last year and tons of people waiting around outside for various reasons. Not a bad wait when it is 80 in San Diego, another story totally when it is 100+ in Atlanta.

I could get behind vegas, probably no need for anything to be outside at that point. I'm sure it would also drastically increase the audience size for some of the more popular panels.

The argument the city gives behind not allowing the convention center to expand is a negative environmental impact on the bay. The city makes a ton of money off of SDCC, they would take a significant financial hit if the convention moved. They need to take that into consideration. Besides, it isn't just the convention center, San Diego is simply too small to host an event of this size. There aren't enough hotel rooms in the immediate vicinity to support 150k+ people over the weekend, and building more makes no sense because there isn't enough business the rest of the year to stay in business. Comicon has only expanded into the Gaslight District because of necessity, it had to go somewhere and out was the only option. Yet they are still restricted by the total number of people allowed into the convention center by the fire marshal. They will always be hampered by the physical capabilities of San Diego.

I understand why they don't want to go to Vegas. Vegas isn't going to treat them like they're important and give them all kinds of tax breaks. To Vegas, Comicon isn't anything special. They host bigger events than Comicon every other week. So Comicon would probably have to tighten their belt a little to start, but since the expansion possibilities are likely unlimited, they could easily outgrow any restrictions. Imagine no more lotteries for tickets to Comicon. If you want to go, you can go. You can just roll up to the convention and buy tickets at the door. And there is so much space in Vegas, all of it within easy walking distance or monorail ride, that they can have as much programming as they want, as many dealers as they want, and run as long as they want. They have multiple convention centers. A business that can't grow will just stagnate, which all that Comicon has been doing for years. It can't get any bigger. It really needs to be set free.

I wonder how many people try to get tickets each year and aren't able to. I bet their attendance could go up at least by a 3rd.

I wonder how many people try to get tickets each year and aren't able to. I bet their attendance could go up at least by a 3rd.

Considering the convention sells out completely in less than an hour, they could probably double their attendance easily.

Bah, site screwed up.

Considering the convention sells out completely in less than an hour, they could probably double their attendance easily. I also think the dealer's room gets far too over-crowded, when you can get packed in like sardines and literally cannot move for long periods of time, that's dangerous.

Bah, site screwed up.

Considering the convention sells out completely in less than an hour, they could probably double their attendance easily. I also think the dealer's room gets far too over-crowded, when you can get packed in like sardines and literally cannot move for long periods of time, that's dangerous.

Rose City Comic Con is like that. It's not nearly as huge a convention, but the convention center space is still too limited for the event and it takes way too long to get from one end to the other. Probably the first convention I did not go table to table looking at everything. Emerald City in Seattle is a larger convention, but less crowded. Also, it's in rainy Seattle and people still have a blast.

I would really like to attend San Diego, but I just don't think it will happen. Especially with the hotel prices and such.

Why? Comiket in Japan gets almost 600,000.

600,000? The biggest football stadium in the U.S. holds about 107,000. I know all 600,000 aren't in the building all at once, but it is till a staggering amount of people for any event.

Rose City Comic Con is like that. It's not nearly as huge a convention, but the convention center space is still too limited for the event and it takes way too long to get from one end to the other. Probably the first convention I did not go table to table looking at everything. Emerald City in Seattle is a larger convention, but less crowded. Also, it's in rainy Seattle and people still have a blast.

I would really like to attend San Diego, but I just don't think it will happen. Especially with the hotel prices and such.

ECCC only brings in about 70k. San Diego is big at about 130k, but New York has over 150k. I mean, I grew up going to San Diego, I saw it grow into the media monstrosity it is today, and frankly, at that size, it just isn't any fun. I advocated for years that they split it up into 2 conventions, a media con in the summer and a comic/geek con in the winter, but that's largely what Wondercon is. It's all about geeky stuff, without a lot of media attention. It's a hell of a lot more fun than SDCC is these days.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back