San Diego Comic Con 2017

ECCC only brings in about 70k. San Diego is big at about 130k, but New York has over 150k. I mean, I grew up going to San Diego, I saw it grow into the media monstrosity it is today, and frankly, at that size, it just isn't any fun. I advocated for years that they split it up into 2 conventions, a media con in the summer and a comic/geek con in the winter, but that's largely what Wondercon is. It's all about geeky stuff, without a lot of media attention. It's a hell of a lot more fun than SDCC is these days.

I don't mean ECCC is bigger than SDCC, I mean it's larger than Rose City.

Well. This will be our first year. We are planning a Vacation reguardless of getting tickets. But general sale we'll try. Have a 1 bedroom arbiter 3 blocks off the Gas Lamp. airline tickets. For a month. Maybe we'll see some of you there?

Well. This will be our first year. We are planning a Vacation reguardless of getting tickets. But general sale we'll try. Have a 1 bedroom arbiter 3 blocks off the Gas Lamp. airline tickets. For a month. Maybe we'll see some of you there?

Even without tickets I think you could have an entertaining time outside of the convention center with all of the cospplay going on and people hanging out.

Cephus, thanks for the advice. I may have to give Wondercon a try next year, I do enjoy the big name stuff that SDCC attracts but it would be great to go to a large con that is still more fan focused.

The only one that can really handle it is Vegas, whose convention facilities are absolutely massive and can handle whatever size Comicon wants to grow to. They have been screwed over by San Diego time and time again, they've been promised that the convention center would double in size, only to have the city turn down the plan. When they come up for renewal in the next couple of years, hopefully they decide to give up and leave. Who cares about weather, you're spending the whole weekend inside anyhow.
As a San Diego native, I totally disagree with that. A lot of the fans also live here, granted of course people travel, but there is still a ton of other things to do here, aside from just the con. In vegas, there isnt much to do if you bring kids along, besides drink, gamble, and other things of course. I know I wouldnt go to Vegas just to go to Comic Con if it left. Not only is it really good for the city, but its so much nicer here than drab Nevada. Its not just a weekend, its 4 days. Lots of people come for the whole week.

Even without tickets I think you could have an entertaining time outside of the convention center with all of the cospplay going on and people hanging out.

Cephus, thanks for the advice. I may have to give Wondercon a try next year, I do enjoy the big name stuff that SDCC attracts but it would be great to go to a large con that is still more fan focused.
Exactly. Dude, dont let that old curmudegon get the best of you. There is so much to do, and yes, its a pain in the ass to get tickets, but you dont even need to get tickets to enjoy comic con. People I know just go down there because its overflowed from the convention center. Bars and hotels in the gaslamp do all kinds of comic con related things, there is zombiewalk, and the stuff they do at petco, its a blast. It depends on what you want to go for. Do you want to go for simply comics? Or pop culture stuff in general. Yeah, if you want to go just browse back issues of comics, its not worth it, go to a smaller con or go online. But you gotta see SDCC for what it is at least once. Do I miss the days where you could just walk up, buy a 4 day badge for 30 bucks and write your name on it? Of course. But there wasnt as many stars, give aways, things to do, or things to buy. Im bummed I only got thursday and sunday (the worst days) but Im hoping to score friday and saturday when regular tickets go on sale.

- - - Updated - - -

ECCC only brings in about 70k. San Diego is big at about 130k, but New York has over 150k. I mean, I grew up going to San Diego, I saw it grow into the media monstrosity it is today, and frankly, at that size, it just isn't any fun. I advocated for years that they split it up into 2 conventions, a media con in the summer and a comic/geek con in the winter, but that's largely what Wondercon is. It's all about geeky stuff, without a lot of media attention. It's a hell of a lot more fun than SDCC is these days.
Cephus, why do you go to Comic/Nerd conventions? I went to Wondercon a few years ago and it was boring. We didnt even stay the whole time. I would really like to go to Dragoncon to see all the awesome cosplay, but none of my friends ever want to go.

I do wish that hotels in the area were more reasonable. My wife has some mobility issues and can't walk around that much so we take a wheel chair with us to SDCC. This really makes a shuttle or even Uber a pain so we got a condo about 3 blocks away so that we can walk to the conventions center. That hotel for 4 nights costs more than our hotel for an entire 9 day stay in London that we are doing in SEP. Hell plane tickets to SD are a joke compared to the hotel bill.

At lease the San Diego weather is a welcome relief from the oppressive humidity and heat of NC in July. People kept apologizing that we had to come during the "heat wave" last year when it was 80. My wife and I just kind of chuckled.

NYCC has more attendees, but more people still go to SDCC due to all of the offsite events. I've had friends only able to score 1 or two days for actual tickets, but they get a lot out of their trip by doing as many off site events as they can.

The wife actually wants to go this year so between her and I hopefully we can secure some badges. We'll see on April 8th.

Nothing says welcome to San Diego like a hotel tax.
Name any tourist destination that doesnt have a hotel tax.

- - - Updated - - -

I do wish that hotels in the area were more reasonable. My wife has some mobility issues and can't walk around that much so we take a wheel chair with us to SDCC. This really makes a shuttle or even Uber a pain so we got a condo about 3 blocks away so that we can walk to the conventions center. That hotel for 4 nights costs more than our hotel for an entire 9 day stay in London that we are doing in SEP. Hell plane tickets to SD are a joke compared to the hotel bill.
Yeah the plane tickets are BS. Hell, going from San Diego to Arizona is a 300 dollar flight, even though its only 45 minutes. Yet you can go to Atlanta for 79 one way. Its insane.

My groups didn't have much luck. While we did get tickets for a majority of those who needed it for Open Reg, couldn't get everyone's Saturday request in time.

Didnt get mine, but going anyways.

Enjoy the offsites, and also hang out at the nearby hotel lobby bars. You'll never know who you run into there. Also, if you happen to have Twitter or Instagram, keep an eye out for scavenger hunt posts. I know Jim Lee doesn't do commission sketches anymore because he's too busy, so instead he just draws sketches and leaves them in random places for fans to find.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back