Official V3 Nike MAG Replica Thread - V3 Discussion Thread

I wonder why they changed the cover...

I don't believe this is the Mark Poon version which is probably more accurate, but it's also twice as much. I figure for the shelf in my office, this will be close enough for most of the people who will know what it is.

It is high quality, but some of the colors look different than the actual prop. I'm cool with it though.

I don't have my RPF accurate graphic on hand, so what did they change?

The colors, they put the batter's foot in front of the yellow banner. They changed the text on the yellow banner and the COMPLETE SPORTS STATISTICS. They changed the text 1950-2000.

From this distance, no one will notice.

I need to redo everything on my shelf to make room for the mags.

78c11802f66b3cdd336d01620e17e699.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The colors, they put the batter's foot in front of the yellow banner. They changed the text on the yellow banner and the COMPLETE SPORTS STATISTICS. They changed the text 1950-2000.

You are correct. I think that may have been a goof on the foot peaking over the yellow banner. I noticed that right away.

The font looks similar on the 1950-2000, but the tracking (space between letters) seems wider than it should be.

The grey part on the right also seems a little wider.

Last edited:
From this distance, no one will notice.
I need to redo everything on my shelf to make room for the mags.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180113/78c11802f66b3cdd336d01620e17e699.jpg

I recognise that Atari 2600 controller! :D Still got my ancient 2600 packed away in a box.
Here's an example of the glow-in-the-dark setup after a few minutes sitting on a windowsill on a cloudy day.....
it'd be nice to have something glowing in the heel cup too, but not a big deal at the moment, at least I don't have to worry about electronics failing anymore.
DSC_0190.JPG DSC_0188.JPGDSC_0193.JPGDSC_0189.JPGDSC_0192.JPG

I recognise that Atari 2600 controller! :D Still got my ancient 2600 packed away in a box.
Here's an example of the glow-in-the-dark setup after a few minutes sitting on a windowsill on a cloudy day.....
it'd be nice to have something glowing in the heel cup too, but not a big deal at the moment, at least I don't have to worry about electronics failing anymore.
View attachment 787073 View attachment 787075View attachment 787077View attachment 787076View attachment 787081

Wow! So is that the one Cavx makes? It looks incredible.

Last edited:
Yep. Though it did take me a fair few hours to remove the old sole, then glue in the GITD kit and glue in the new sole I got from @WizardBTTF.

I assume those will work with the original soles too.

I remember watching those experiments from @cavx. Wasn't he experimenting with making green, yellow and red glowing panels too?

How long does the glow last?

Last edited:
Yep. Though it did take me a fair few hours to remove the old sole, then glue in the GITD kit and glue in the new sole I got from @WizardBTTF.
Makes me want redo mine now and change out the 3m reflective tape I have in mine.

Not quite a MAG but check out these Future Boots I picked up today for work.

We can wear pretty much what we like so long as it is black and I was going to buy black V2s.

At the price I paid, these were too good to pass on.

What is interesting about these is that the basic pattern is MAG. They are made from a course weave mesh and like the MAG have just two seams, one up the back and one on the instep. And they are high to.

The box is a bit trashed and that happens when you buy shoes at the DFO Nike store but the size and the fact it is black makes it a keeper.

Laces? Can't have everything.
280baa2576d01d86bba22569a5fff366.jpg
709db93d104a5061136189b553bf6f62.jpg
79a438202ef5483232b8ae42a37f26e0.jpg
332e113c5d508cc45bf7e7a2e4932734.jpg

Pyramid tread on the sole of these boots. Yep MAG inspired for sure
Sent from my CPH1701 using Tapatalk
4a6b0c993f310fadf4984563a8361b51.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume those will work with the original soles too.

I remember watching those experiments from @cavx. Wasn't he experimenting with making green, yellow and red glowing panels too?

How long does the glow last?
Yes I was. What I did back then was to mold and cast red, yellow and green parts made from flexible polyurethane and then back light it with glow in the dark powder. At the time, all I had was either the cyan I use in my glow kits or green.

It never bothered me having just green because when you watch the movie and when he laces up for the first time, only the green LED is lit up anyway.

Now I can get red and yellow glow powders and in the coming weeks, I will be experimenting with these new colours to see if I can make a tri colour pad for the bubble.

The glow kit is as bright as EL for a few minutes, then dies down to a low glow that lasts for up to 6 hours. Even though it looks dull, it is bright enough to keep you awake.

There is also a blue and whist cyan is the true colour we want, when cyan dims down, you tend to see the light as more green than blue/green . So I am curious to see how a straight blue panel might go.

Sent from my CPH1701 using Tapatalk

Well @Jedifyfe, I tried your suggestion. I drained it down to where it wouldn't come on anymore. Put it on the charger for an hour, and it did charge. It seems my problem is not charger/charger port related.

I let it go for about 3 hours on the charger, and when I took it off, I turned on the shoe and after about 5 minutes it turned off. It is so strange. Sometimes it'll stay on for 20 minutes, sometimes 2. When I was trying to drain it, there was one period where it stayed on for like 45 minutes and I wondered if it was somehow fixed. No luck.

I no next to nothing about electronics, but I would have to guess there is something wrong with the control board. It seems to charge. It turns right back on after I turn it off.

David offered to send me replacement battern and EL, but I don't think that will fix what's going on.

Banging my head against the wall.

Well @Jedifyfe, I tried your suggestion. I drained it down to where it wouldn't come on anymore. Put it on the charger for an hour, and it did charge. It seems my problem is not charger/charger port related.

I let it go for about 3 hours on the charger, and when I took it off, I turned on the shoe and after about 5 minutes it turned off. It is so strange. Sometimes it'll stay on for 20 minutes, sometimes 2. When I was trying to drain it, there was one period where it stayed on for like 45 minutes and I wondered if it was somehow fixed. No luck.

I no next to nothing about electronics, but I would have to guess there is something wrong with the control board. It seems to charge. It turns right back on after I turn it off.

David offered to send me replacement battern and EL, but I don't think that will fix what's going on.

Banging my head against the wall.

I am at a loss with why we even need these troublesome boards. We did EL and LED combos in the V2s and never needed control boards. Even when rechargeable batteries were used in the set up, these boards were not needed. Surely they can be bi-passed now. The batteries have their own protection board, so what purpose, apart from adding complexity to the rig, so these control boards even have? I don't believe it is just for recharging as we have had examples of MAGs that recharge without them.

I am at a loss with why we even need these troublesome boards. We did EL and LED combos in the V2s and never needed control boards. Even when rechargeable batteries were used in the set up, these boards were not needed. Surely they can be bi-passed now. The batteries have their own protection board, so what purpose, apart from adding complexity to the rig, so these control boards even have? I don't believe it is just for recharging as we have had examples of MAGs that recharge without them.

Is it possibly a battery issue.
Try change the battery. Battery could be failing to hold charge correctly.

If its not that, most likely its dodgy control board.

Is it possibly a battery issue.
Try change the battery. Battery could be failing to hold charge correctly.

If its not that, most likely its dodgy control board.

You were one of the guys that made V2s work without a control board. Why do these V3s need them now?

Also, these batteries have that circuit on the top. Is it possible to make up a connection lead to allow charging without being connected inside the shoe?

You were one of the guys that made V2s work without a control board. Why do these V3s need them now?

Also, these batteries have that circuit on the top. Is it possible to make up a connection lead to allow charging without being connected inside the shoe?

I would imagine part of it is due to the fact that the switch is electronic rather than a mechanical locking type switch. Without some kind of PCB/chip set-up you would require the switch to maintain the connection rather than just activate it.

I agree. It seems to be a bad battery. You can buy them on Ebay but you have to swap the wire connector with the one you have (solder it on to the new battery). It's easy to do.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back