Official V3 Nike MAG Replica Thread - V3 Discussion Thread

Perhaps this will help us get the topic back on V3.... V3 love from the SneakerGrinch!
0a93f70fe0550323d0a1c6051ba2d8fb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was asked to do a photo like this with my pairs of RD Mags, but I'm too scared about muddling them up & them not ending up in the correctly numbered boxes! That & breathing on them...

Short of wearing a mask, I can't really suggest how you will not"breathe" on them. The numbering issue is easy. Make up some tags and have them laminated (so there is no possibility of ink from the print getting on the shoes) and place the appropriate tags in each pair.

I'd really love to see multiple pair of RDs together.

- - - Updated - - -

Very nice.

I also did a crap video based on observations of other sneakers and where there tech may have originated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please do. Just observations whilst looking at shoes in places like Footlocker and Athlete's Foot. I have a friend that is a nut job for Yeezy Boost and whilst I think that shoe is sort of fugly, I did notice some very familiar things about it. I then started looking at other shoes and seeing similar things.

Cloth uppers are all the go right now. Lighter and even water resistant.
The sock toe is found everywhere now from super expensive to the very cheapest shoes from the big department stores.
All of them seem to use the straps from the laces to the midsoles.
One NIKE even had a full on molded heel cup. Shame it was not a hi-top.
Soles have gotten wider at the base giving more contact with the ground.

So yeah, I do think the MAG has given a heap of inspiration to other shoe designers. Tinker was certainly way ahead of the curve in 1989.

True that - did you ever find some Shibusa's? They're very obviously modelled off the MAG, though it's a lower-cut version. The elastic 'laces' are substantially stronger than the V3's.

True that - did you ever find some Shibusa's? They're very obviously modelled off the MAG, though it's a lower-cut version. The elastic 'laces' are substantially stronger than the V3's.

They would have to be as they are purpose made as an adults shoe and that is the only thing holding them on to your foot. Whist the V3s are certainly wearable, it is the ankle strap that really holds the shoe onto your foot, not the elastic laces.

I'd really like to get one not of those pressure testing kits for this. I am not sure my toe box massage did this or just the fact these shoes are now fully broken in now.

The (chipped) glass lens weighs about 400 grams. It is sitting on a prototype the V3 front oval just so the lens does not slip.

The display pair toe box fully supports the weight.
My wear pair start to slump under the weight.
I didn't really have other small weights to keep adding which would be idea for a test like this.

To the touch, the display pair toe boxed are soft almost like there is no foam in between the layers, where the display pair are springy and firm.

I might repeat this test with more weight.
41ae452fb5894bcee5d217ae4d701127.jpg
403ec24d3a370be2391953ea464c8e1d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Still not scientific, but I had a quick search in the work shop and found these chrome tools.

I set up a rig that I could reset and conducted the test on each shoe 3 times.

The same amount of weight virtually flattens the toe on my wear pair. To get the same result from the display pair required a heap of extra parts.

ce32fb65ab42feb831ecd5b3ac84b778.jpg
c314f6e116410ae4a3d9b3c8803e772e.jpg
095ad5129f5b3acffb6310bf516ee7ea.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Short of wearing a mask, I can't really suggest how you will not"breathe" on them. The numbering issue is easy. Make up some tags and have them laminated (so there is no possibility of ink from the print getting on the shoes) and place the appropriate tags in each pair.

I'd really love to see multiple pair of RDs together.

- - - Updated - - -

Very nice.

I also did a crap video based on observations of other sneakers and where there tech may have originated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5khGyzrqCE&index=12&list=PLfQENJOcAQQ7nJYpf0srGFfKpHWx8Hn4i

great video.
you're absolutely right.

Sock toe and sock type sneakers are now extremely popular.
I actually got a pair of Nike Sock Darts and the Presto Fly's and they are extemely comfortable.
If they put that type of material on the toebox of the mag, you would get an ever more accurate movie shoe.
I'll be going back to my scratch build sometime (hopefully) and try different materials for uppers.

great video.
you're absolutely right.

Sock toe and sock type sneakers are now extremely popular.
I actually got a pair of Nike Sock Darts and the Presto Fly's and they are extemely comfortable.
If they put that type of material on the toebox of the mag, you would get an ever more accurate movie shoe.
I'll be going back to my scratch build sometime (hopefully) and try different materials for uppers.

Good to hear you have not given up on those customs. If you look in the back ground of my video, my patterns (the blue plastic) are on the end of the table. Originally, I was going to use them to help explain the upper better, but decided on just using the actual shoe instead.

The point of my tests above were to see how soft the fabric has become as I do want a sock toe on these MAGs. However, the issue is, because these were molded over a slim last, there is not the same amount of material as the toe box of the V2s (moon boot), so a true sock toe (the desired slump) won't ever really happen.

The more I look at this, the more I see no point in opening my shoes to remove the toe cap now. The toe cap in these shoes is about half the size (I can actually part of the shape) of the parts I removed from my old V2s. They worked as a sock toe because I simply re-assembled them back to their "boot" shape, but because the supporting layer was now gone, they slumped. These V3s just don't have the needed real estate for that.

Also my shoes (the wear pair) are only 4 months old, so I whilst I would like to fix the lights, I am not real keen on ripping them apart just yet. I am however going to back to investigate something I did for the V1s and that is look at the use of reflective tape. When you wear these out, they do turn heads and some people even ask if they can take a photo. How many people take a photo with the flash on? Just about everyone. And what does the flash generally do? It washes out the lights!

Now the last time, I went looking for this stuff, I got a blue and it looked pretty sexy (electric blue, my favorite colour) under the camera flash. They make white, red, yellow, green, blue and I think, magenta. The big question is, do they make cyan? Hopefully I will get time tomorrow to check that out.

Last edited:
So if I got an email last Tuesday 4/4 saying they received payment, and that pics would be coming shortly, how much longer do you'd think it'll take to get the QC pics? Tomorrow will be a week.

So if I got an email last Tuesday 4/4 saying they received payment, and that pics would be coming shortly, how much longer do you'd think it'll take to get the QC pics? Tomorrow will be a week.

I don't remember the exact time, but it did take several days from the time I made payment to the time I got my photos and approved them to proceed with the order. Then about 14 days for shipping on the first pair.

I ordered 4 ounces of sea glow as well as the blue dye so hopefully that will work better than the salon care creme to lighten the soles. I also have noticed the laces on my V3s are no longer a crisp white. I have tried soap and water,sneaker cleaner and stain remover but they still look dirty. I uploaded a picture of the laces compared to my v2s which are clean. Any ideas on how to whiten them?IMG_3628.JPG

A white paint pen for clothes might work, but you would have to pull the lace out at the edges so you DO NOT touch the grey fabric with the white paint.

Last edited:
So I picked up more of those leads and DC/0.7mm tips only to discover the polarity on one tip is reversed. Once identified, problem solved. I also found a USB to twin mini USB from a pair V2s, and I am going to see if I can clip the ends back and solder the lead directly to the twin pins of the DC/0.7mm tip. It would be handy to have a single charge lead.

I also went looking for, and found some reflective 3M vinyl. No CYAN, so I got white and will experiment with adding filters.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back