Official V3 Nike MAG Replica Thread - V3 Discussion Thread

@rubberpoultry drain the battery in both shoes. Keep the lights on until both shoes are dead (where you can not turn them on at all, not even for 1 second). Then plug them in. Leave them for 30-45 minutes and turn them back on. They should turn on if the charge ports are good.

I'm finding it's cumbersome and hard to run the battery down when the shoe keeps turning off! I keep hitting the button though.

Here’s the problem I was talking about. David asked me to film how I plug them in.

I’m gentler than it looks in the video. Holding the phone and shoes and the movement of the camera makes it look a bit more harsh.

At 7:30 you will see the left shoe turns off. This happens on and off the charger:

https://vimeo.com/250406696

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hold up a moment, I’m sure Jedifyfe will know the answer to this, but unless they’ve changed the electronics in the V3.1 when compared to the V3, I’m pretty certain that once the button is depressed while the shoes are plugged in & charging, the charging actually stops, so you’re using power from the batteries until they reach a level that the circuit shuts down at.

Once the lights power down they will resume charging again until the button is once again pressed.

I was under the impression that these shoes were not designed to run continuously while on charge. Out of interest, have you left the shoes on whilst not charging to discharge each battery fully & then recharged from flat? Might be worth testing this if you haven’t & then turning them both on after a full charge to see how long it takes for each shoe to shut down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hold up a moment, I’m sure @Jedifyfe will know the answer to this, but unless they’ve changed the electronics in the V3.1 when compared to the V3, I’m pretty certain that once the button is depressed while the shoes are plugged in & charging, the charging actually stops, so you’re using power from the batteries until they reach a level that the circuit shuts down at.

Once the lights power down they will resume charging again until the button is once again pressed.

I was under the impression that these shoes were not designed to run continuously while on charge. Out of interest, have you left the shoes on whilst not charging to discharge each battery fully & then recharged from flat? Might be worth testing this if you haven’t & then turning them both on after a full charge to see how long it takes for each shoe to shut down.
I hope his batteries weren't near full when he started discharging. Mine lasted 15 HOURS

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Hold up a moment, I’m sure @Jedifyfe will know the answer to this, but unless they’ve changed the electronics in the V3.1 when compared to the V3, I’m pretty certain that once the button is depressed while the shoes are plugged in & charging, the charging actually stops, so you’re using power from the batteries until they reach a level that the circuit shuts down at.

I'm trying to drain them to nothing to see what happens.

Are you saying the lights should be off when charging?

Don't keep pushing the button once they go out! Doing so will take them below the minimum voltage level and you won't be able to charge them again. I learned this the hard and expensive way.

Yes, I should have added that you need to turn the lights off during charge to my video.

The v3 are now $480 and the v3.1 are $550.

They have changed places on price.

Either way.... it's annoying that people have issues at this price.

Don't keep pushing the button once they go out! Doing so will take them below the minimum voltage level and you won't be able to charge them again. I learned this the hard and expensive way.

Yes, I should have added that you need to turn the lights off during charge to my video.
Y'all are sending very conflicting reports on what to do lol

My left one has been going out since I received them. I've had them on the charger a couple of times for 4 hours at a time. I was trying to drain them down to nothing so I could test the charge ports.

So are you saying I should plug them in, keep the lights off and see what happens?

I've probably hit that button to turn them back on 20 times today trying to get them to drain.

Y'all are sending very conflicting reports on what to do lol

So as far as I know, these batteries are 5V Lithium Ion (spelling?) and they have a small electronic circuit on the terminals. This circuit PREVENTS over charge and over draw. In the case of overcharge, the batteries should charge to 100% and then the protection kicks in, so they won't catch fire. I wouldn't test this and unplug after a few hours.

Overdraw is when you drain the battery too far. The inverters for the EL is probably 3V and will run as low as 2V, but the protection circuit may be set up to kick in at 2.5V. If the voltage drops below this level, the protection kicks in and the battery will not charge. It has to be "jump started" to jump it over the threshold. I used a 9V battery to do this with mine and it worked, but then I broke a wire and that was the end of that. But it DID WORK!.

The batteries had to be removed first and then disconnected from the shoe. Then I had to open the foil at the top to access the terminals. Then jump and measure with a multi-meter that they did indeed take on the voltage. Seal them back up and reconnect them to the shoes.

What concerns me with rubber poultry's video is the way that plug wiggled in one of the shoes. That screams broken charge port to me.

Exactly. I know that on my v3 of which I’ve had about 6 pairs, if you turn the lights on while they’re charging, then they stop charging.

Turn them on & leave them until they both turn off of their own accord. After this, plug them in & fully charge them. Once you’re satisfied they’ve had a full charge, say 3.5 - 4 hours, then turn them back on & time them both until they turn off. At least this way you can ascertain whether one battery is holding less charge than the other or not charging correctly.

They may both be fine.

My left one has been going out since I received them. I've had them on the charger a couple of times for 4 hours at a time. I was trying to drain them down to nothing so I could test the charge ports.

So are you saying I should plug them in, keep the lights off and see what happens?

I've probably hit that button to turn them back on 20 times today trying to get them to drain.

My display pair are now over 12 months old and still work fine. What I do is connect the charger and press the button to ensure the lights actually come on. Then turn them off and let them charge for about 2+ hours at a time (I do this whilst watching a movie), then disconnect everything and they work for up to 2 weeks with intermediate operation. Running them full until the battery drains is usually limited to the time they were charged for if not charged to 100%. You can charge and charge again because there is no memory with these sort of batteries. So I have done 2 hours one night and and a 2nd lot of 2 hours the next night. Then not had to charge for 2 weeks.

What concerns me with rubber poultry's video is the way that plug wiggled in one of the shoes. That screams broken charge port to me.

It would’ve concerned me too but that was the RIGHT shoe where the charger appeared to wiggle in the port, whereas it’s the left shoe that he shows as shutting down prematurely in the video.

My display pair are now over 12 months old and still work fine. What I do is connect the charger and press the button to ensure the lights actually come on. Then turn them off and let them charge for about 2+ hours at a time (I do this whilst watching a movie), then disconnect everything and they work for up to 2 weeks with intermediate operation. Running them full until the battery drains is usually limited to the time they were charged for if not charged to 100%. You can charge and charge again because there is no memory with these sort of batteries. So I have done 2 hours one night and and a 2nd lot of 2 hours the next night. Then not had to charge for 2 weeks.

What I have noticed with these shoes is that there must be a very slight constant load on the battery even when they’re turned off. All of my pairs may last 2-3 weeks from a full charge before they require charging again, whereas I could leave my RD Mags for a year on a full charge then come back to them & they would still turn on.

Exactly. I know that on my v3 of which I’ve had about 6 pairs, if you turn the lights on while they’re charging, then they stop charging.

Turn them on & leave them until they both turn off of their own accord. After this, plug them in & fully charge them. Once you’re satisfied they’ve had a full charge, say 3.5 - 4 hours, then turn them back on & time them both until they turn off. At least this way you can ascertain whether one battery is holding less charge than the other or not charging correctly.

They may both be fine.

OK... so let me get this straight... I should take them off the charger... let them go until they turn off.... the left one will turn off fast... then when they're both dead (won't turn on) i charge them with the lights off? How do I know if the left shoe is dead if it turns on when I push the button?

Well... David has asked me to pay $225 for a replacement pair of shoes. While that would be wonderful in theory, convincing my wife to let me spent $445 was hard enough. She would not be cool with $645 total.

I was hoping they'd warranty them and send me a new left shoe or something. Maybe I'll get lucky and when I recharge them they'll stop turning off.

I guess I always knew this could be a possibility.

Well... David has asked me to pay $225 for a replacement pair of shoes. While that would be wonderful in theory, convincing my wife to let me spent $445 was hard enough. She would not be cool with $645 total.

I was hoping they'd warranty them and send me a new left shoe or something. Maybe I'll get lucky and when I recharge them they'll stop turning off.

I guess I always knew this could be a possibility.
You have to be firm with David. You JUST got them, this is his fault

What I don't understand is the return policy it right there. 30 days money back.

You are clearly within that window. I'm sorry but it says right there, I would fight for a new pair of shoes or all your money back. I would send him a screen cap of his own website too.

These weren't $100 shoes, you paid a substantial amount for shoes. They should work flawlessly. Well for longer then 1-3 days.

Sorry it just bothers me when people try to cheat and skimp. Also somewhere way up in this thread someone got a replacement shoe sent to them and I believe it was for free. I could be wrong or it was not stated that is was for free.

Just my thoughts.

6e12cedaaa1dc3bf2b173abae1d8cbdc.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

What I don't understand is the return policy it right there. 30 days money back.

You are clearly within that window. I'm sorry but it says right there, I would fight for a new pair of shoes or all your money back. I would send him a screen cap of his own website too.

These weren't $100 shoes, you paid a substantial amount for shoes. They should work flawlessly. Well for longer then 1-3 days.

Sorry it just bothers me when people try to cheat and skimp. Also somewhere way up in this thread someone got a replacement shoe sent to them and I believe it was for free. I could be wrong or it was not stated that is was for free.

Just my thoughts.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180111/6e12cedaaa1dc3bf2b173abae1d8cbdc.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thank you for posting that. I just sent it to him.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back