Mazinger z cosplay

Manuelzinho

Hi guys! I had this idea cause this year is Mazinger Z 45th anniversary (there will be a movie!) and that gave me the idea. I belong to Mazinger Z generation (he is just 5 years younger than me :D ), and used to watch the cartoons on TV when I was a child, they were so popular in Spain!!

15042168_1436491049712454_2444856317921239916_o.jpg Here is him at the Gran Via of Madrid, causing some mess around :lol

I have done only a few replica props (got just one post here at the RPF, a Captain America cosplay and a Thor costume for my 3 years old son) I am very proud of my eva foam & epoxy Captain shield, was a total success at Jerez Comic Con.

So I thought I wanted to do some giant cosplay and Mazinger Z seems not as complicate as other chars (not many details, flat parts, etc...) So I started to search around but could not find a decent cosplay of the giant robot and that encorauged me even more to go for it. Now I spent all day absent-minded thinking about ways to get my goal. Always happens to me when I am in the middle of a project, get very obssesed and every time I go into a shop or similar I am always looking for stuff that could help me achieve my goal.

So this is the plan:

PROPORCIÓN.JPGThat should be my position inside the robot. I am waiting for those stilts to arrive: http://www.stelzen-shop.de/es/zancos-consumer-line-tamao-m.html
I plan to use the minimun height of the stilts, 38 cm, I consider that would be enough. I will wear the neck and head of the costume as a hat, on top of my head with a helmet belt. That way when I move my head inside the chest, the head of the robot will move too. My arms will get out through holes on the sides of his trunk and will get into the robot forearms. I will be wearing a black long sleeves shirt (got this idea from last year awesome Hulkbuster cosplay that you all must have seen) The chest part will rest on my shoulders and on my head. And my hands inside the forearms will help supporting total weight of chest, arms and head (all eva foam). I will wear a harness to hold all parts in their places.

So, with stilts (38 cm), my own height (172 cm) and robot´s head and neck height (around 40 cm), we get a total height of 250 cm!! (pretty impressive, right? :eek)

As for effects I want to set lights on Mazinger eyes, with 2 modes: regular light always on and stroboscopic light so they pretend to be laser beams like in the old japanese cartoons way. For this I got 2 flashlights having those modes. I want to set lights too inside the 2 red things on the chest, as those are Mazinger Z main weapon. They fire very high temperature rays wich melt his enemies in seconds.

For sound effects, I got this: https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B010M8UNG0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I already got big robot steps sounds and laser beams sounds too, to use them when I walk and when I will turn on the stroboscopic eyes lights respectively. Will set the speakers inside the chest at the back of it, making a few small holes in the eva foam to allow the sound to get out. Switches for light and sound will be inside of the forearms.

Between the 2 red things on the chest and under his neck, I want to put a window so I can see, and close it with some see-through stuff covered with this: https://www.amazon.es/dp/B018O2GD5Q...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=6E3SNVS8YGEPR3WF1WWF this stuff will allow me to see and it will be black as the robot chest, so hopefully people will not be able to see my face. I will try to make this window able to open, for me to take some fresh air from time to time.

So this is the general idea. Please, feel free to advise and show me if my ideas are totally crazy :wacko

I will be updating this post with my progress, thank you all for taking time in reading my plans.

Last edited:
I searched the web for any Pepakura files or papercrafts of the head, even in Japanese, but couldn´t find any. I used some pics to start, but realized I needed a 3D image to do it right, so I bought this figure
DSC01407.JPGDSC01408.JPGDSC01406.JPG

and from that, I came up with this:
DSC01410.JPGDSC01411.JPGDSC01413.JPG

I ordered the antennas on the sides from a 3D printing service and made the eyes with methacrylate, bended with the heat gun, and with a transparent mirror vinyl on the back and transparent yellow vinyl on the front. Added two eye black masks for a nice effect:

DSC01428.JPGDSC01429.JPGDSC01431.JPG

the eyes and some mirror area to put around the light and create reflection
DSC01433.JPGDSC01434.JPG

And the general idea, with the sound for the laser beams mode:

and this one with the regular light mode:

See you soon with more updates, thanks for your time guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, here is the head. I opened a hatch on the top platform in order to be able to separate the neck from the head, for storage and it will be necessary later to suit on.LA MEJOR.jpgDSC01480.JPGDSC01491.JPG

Attachments

• DSC01496.JPG
    DSC01496.JPG
    590.1 KB · Views: 264
  • DSC01497.JPG
    DSC01497.JPG
    565.1 KB · Views: 166
  • DSC01497.JPG
    DSC01497.JPG
    562.6 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
Thanks George! Yes, that´s the idea, a full suit. I just upload again in my first post of this thread a pic that went missing with my position inside Mazinger. There you can read what´s the theory.

You can either open 3D (.obj) files directly in pepakura designer and unfold them,or open a 3D/.stl file in 3D software and convert/save them as .obj so you can use them in pepakura.

KOJI KABUTO

I decided to use one Playmobil cause the scale would be right, so I stole an all white statue Playmobil from my son and a motorbike helmet from another.
DSC01499.JPG
(before you call Social Services, please note I gave him this one in exchange) :lol

DSC01500.JPG

the helmet build:
DSC01502.JPGDSC01506.JPGDSC01507.JPGDSC01508.JPG

and here is Koji, my Ratatouille :love
DSC01509.JPG75890.jpg

No legs needed cause he goes inside the Hover Pileder ;)

Well, was waiting for some materials to arrive, but finally the hover is ready ;)

Thanks George for your 3D files, it helped as the hover file gave me a good idea of the thing from all views.

I made with eva foam and some other stuff (you will see at the pics) and layer of liquid vinyl, silver chrome and red paint. And used this for the glass: https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B01MQLBSUL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DSC01541.JPGDSC01543.JPGDSC01545.JPGDSC01546.JPG

DSC01547.JPGDSC01548.JPGDSC01550.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

DSC01561.JPGDSC01559.JPGDSC01562.JPG

DSC01551.JPGDSC01571.JPGDSC01574.JPG

FEET AND LEGS

Ok guys, I´m back, sorry to keep you waiting for so long. Been kind of busy and could not find the moment to update my thread.

Now that the build is complete from waist to feet, will show what and how I did it.

Been checking the progress of Mr. indiefilmgeek with his Iron Giant, got some inspiration from the posts about the feet movement, but his robot and mine has very different legs.

For the feet, I took a template from the feet of the figure and increased the scale:

DSC01513.JPGDSC01514.JPGDSC01515.JPG

Now some pics of the feet making and how I attached them to the stilts:

DSC01517.JPGDSC01520.JPGDSC01522.JPGDSC01526.JPG

Feet do not touch the ground to avoid trips and they are not attached rigidly, they can swing a little for the same reason.

DSC01528.JPGDSC01533.JPG

Here is a video of the walking test:

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back