Mazinger z cosplay

Now for the legs/boots.

They are kind of cylindrical, but convex on the sides, so I cut 2 pieces of eva foam with a little curve on the sides to get that convex final shape.

They must had a diameter equal to my feet lenght (because in those stilts, your feet are totally horizontal) I covered them with several layers of white glue and they are attached to the stilts with a couple of pieces of eva foam on the sides and one plastic flange. The good thing is the hole on the top is wide enough to allow me to put my feet inside and attach the stilt belts, did not need to make a hatch on the side of the boot to allow me to attach its belts.

IMG_20171005_185227.jpgIMG_20171125_205519.jpgIMG_20171125_205549.jpgIMG_20171125_205633.jpg

Thighs were more complicated. At first, I thought I would need to make the knees totally articulated, specially cause the idea was to put on the thighs and then the boots and for that I would need to sit down and bend my knees. Then I realized I could not fasten the stilts strap with the thighs on, I did not have room to put my hands (or anyone´s) inside the boot for strapping. But I realized as well bending knees were not necessary for walking as my knees did not bend much when I was wearing the stilts.

I decided then I had to put the boots on first and then thighs, meaning I had to think about a way for thighs to be able to open and close on one side and don´t look to bad. The opening should be on the inside face of the thighs so they were not too obvious. So here they are:

IMG_20171125_210121.jpgIMG_20171125_210146.jpg

I used the puzzled side of an eva foam floor mat and small straps with velcro and they close very nicely. They have an strap inside to keep them in the right place and elastic tape on the top to hold them to a belt on my waist, like women´s suspenders belts. One little strap will hold them together under my perineum area (right after my balls :D), with a snap fastener.

As they need to be flexible for opening and closing, I can not paint them with traditional paint or seal it with white glue like the boots, cause both layers would crack. So I will paint them with liquid vinyl, several layers of black and them some silver, to get that nice metallic effect. As liquid vinyl is flexible, it will not crack with the opening and close.

There is some space between the boots and the thighs to allow parts movement and I create those pieces hereunder to cover this area where my knees are. They have glued 2 disposable chopsticks parts that get inside 2 holes in the stilts and have a snap fastener. Will paint them with a metallic look too.

IMG_20171125_205356.jpgIMG_20171125_205726.jpg

The "underwear" I made it with an opening at the perineum with snap fastener , as I will have to put it on from the top, after the boots and thighs. It will hold to the back of my belt.

IMG_20171125_205216.jpg

And here is a test with all on. Well, I can not complain about how things are going by far (at least I am happy with it :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Now for the legs/boots.

They are kind of cylindrical, but convex on the sides, so I cut 2 pieces of eva foam with a little curve on the sides to get that convex final shape.

They must had a diameter equal to my feet lenght (because in those stilts, your feet are totally horizontal) I covered them with several layers of white glue and they are attached to the stilts with a couple of pieces of eva foam on the sides and one plastic flange. The good thing is the hole on the top is wide enough to allow me to put my feet inside and attach the stilt belts, did not need to make a hatch on the side of the boot to allow me to attach its belts.

View attachment 776060View attachment 776061View attachment 776062View attachment 776063

Thighs were more complicated. At first, I thought I would need to make the knees totally articulated, specially cause the idea was to put on the thighs and then the boots and for that I would need to sit down and bend my knees. Then I realized I could not fasten the stilts strap with the thighs on, I did not have room to put my hands (or anyone´s) inside the boot for strapping. But I realized as well bending knees were not necessary for walking as my knees did not bend much when I was wearing the stilts.

I decided then I had to put the boots on first and then thighs, meaning I had to think about a way for thighs to be able to open and close on one side and don´t look to bad. The opening should be on the inside face of the thighs so they were not too obvious. So here they are:

View attachment 776066View attachment 776067

I used the puzzled side of an eva foam floor mat and small straps with velcro and they close very nicely. They have an strap inside to keep them in the right place and elastic tape on the top to hold them to a belt on my waist, like women´s suspenders belts. One little strap will hold them together under my perineum area (right after my balls :D), with a snap fastener.

As they need to be flexible for opening and closing, I can not paint them with traditional paint or seal it with white glue like the boots, cause both layers would crack. So I will paint them with liquid vinyl, several layers of black and them some silver, to get that nice metallic effect. As liquid vinyl is flexible, it will not crack with the opening and close.

There is some space between the boots and the thighs to allow parts movement and I create those pieces hereunder to cover this area where my knees are. They have glued 2 disposable chopsticks parts that get inside 2 holes in the stilts and have a snap fastener. Will paint them with a metallic look too.

View attachment 776068View attachment 776069

The "underwear" I made it with an opening at the perineum with snap fastener , as I will have to put it on from the top, after the boots and thighs. It will hold to the back of my belt.

View attachment 776070

And here is a test with all on. Well, I can not complain about how things are going by far (at least I am happy with it :D

https://youtu.be/iwUSBWpZUOk
Great work

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

PANTS AND BELLY

So here we are, crossing the ecuador of the project!! :cheers:cheers

Those are the pants:

IMG_20171202_004206.jpgIMG_20171202_004245.jpg

Snap fasteners at the "culo" that go into its counterpart in a belt I will be wearing. Front part holded by the red and blue (why red and blue? because it´s what I have available in my spare parts box :lol) straps that go attached to this:

IMG_20171202_004640.jpg

What is the purpose of this backpack frame I made? Well, those 2 aluminium tubes on the top will help holding the chest of Mazinger on top of my shoulders. Pants´ red and blue straps will hold to that elastic straps on the shoulders belts.

And here is the belly:

IMG_20171204_105723.jpgIMG_20171204_105657.jpgIMG_20171203_181027.jpgIMG_20171204_105743.jpg

Last edited:
SOUND EFFECTS

I started with this part of the project, in order to change activity and see if it was possible.

This is my sound built, all connected to an Adafruit Audio FX Mini-Sounboard 16 MB. Hope you can read the specs of the amplifier and speakers:

IMG_20171208_195408.jpg

Well, wires from buttons to ground are not there but I already connected them.

And I have a question cause I am a total newby in electronics.

I tested it already:

As you could hear, I have a few sound effects in the soundboard (steps, laser beams, etc.) and the intro music of the cartoon to liven up the party :D

Works nicely loud, but only when I connect the amplifier to the electricity grid with the ac/dc adapter of 12V 5ahm included with it. I tried to activate it with 12V alcaline batteries and it does not sound loud and batteries get consumed in seconds.

I was wondering, would the amplifier work with something like this?: https://www.amazon.es/MICROELETTRON...id=1512995151&sr=8-2&keywords=bateria+12v+5ah Will it have enough autonomy to last an hour or so?

It weights around 1 kg, but I think I can carry it on my backpack frame.

So please, I need assistance from you guys, the ones knowing electronics and sound systems.

BELLY AND CHEST

Well, here I am again. This long break I took updating my thread does not mean I stopped, it is just sometimes is hard to find a moment to update it. Been working on it almost everyday, will be completed in about 2 weeks. Will be ready on time for Sevilla Ficción, a comic con at the end of April, at Sevilla. A nice adventure to travel there with this big build indeed.

So here is the belly. It needed to be able to open as the thighs, cause I tried to put on from the top with the piece closed and it was not possible with the backpack on.

Here some pics:

IMG_20180226_085353.jpgIMG_20180226_085429.jpgIMG_20180226_085439.jpgIMG_20180226_085514.jpgIMG_20180226_085608.jpgIMG_20180226_085651.jpg

Under those pieces of duck tape are some magnets to help keeping the piece on its place. Velcro and edges of puzzle foam mats to close it on the side.

Now for the chest. This piece and the hands are the only ones I used a template for. Until now, they were not too hard to do them by eye and they needed to fit in with the boots, and the boots had to have the diameter of my feet.

Chest was to complicate to do it by eye, but luckly I found an old japanese papercraft that looked good and I took chest and hands from it, scaling them to my needs of course. Chest I had to do some modifications to have enough room inside for my head.
MZ011.JPGMZ009.JPGMZ085.JPG

Now some picks of the process. If you see the belly in green, it is a first one I did and replace it cause it has some mistakes and the foam was not very dense.

IMG_20171207_023511.jpgIMG_20171207_023607.jpg

First pic hereunder is from the side, where the shoulders go. That methacrylate with 2 screws and the piece of aluminium tube in the center hold the shoulder and allow it to move the arm back and forth, so here we have the first joint of the arm. I put some plastic (in blue) to avoid friction and even apply some machine grease so it moves nicely. The inside of the shoulder is the back of the foam, well sealed and good for sliding on the plastic I add. the big square hole is for a PC fan, to cool the inside of the chest. It has another one at the other side to create an air current. The shoulder, in the 3rd pic, has another piece of methacrlylate that goes inside the one before and applied some grease there too. The shoulder is detachable from the chest, to help transporting and dressing on. In the 4th pic, you can see 2 square holes covered with black fabric. Speakers will go behind them and fabric will allow sound to get out nicely.

IMG_20180206_195747.jpgIMG_20180206_195725.jpgIMG_20180206_192809.jpgIMG_20180206_195813.jpg

The chest have an openable methacrylate window, covered with black transparent adhesive vinyl, so I can see but my face does not show. And it is openable so I can take a break and drink or something.

IMG_20180226_090523.jpgIMG_20180226_090459.jpgIMG_20180226_085847.jpgIMG_20180226_090610.jpg

Those 2 metallic wardrobe bar holders go in the front of the chest inside. The movable sticks in the backpack hold into them and help creating the room inside the chest.

IMG_20180205_011939.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180223_204556.jpg
    IMG_20180223_204556.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 264
  • IMG_20180223_195522.jpg
    IMG_20180223_195522.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 101
  • IMG_20180221_205812.jpg
    IMG_20180221_205812.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 275
  • IMG_20180220_233003.jpg
    IMG_20180220_233003.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 264
Those 4 last pics attached should be here.

And here with the red pieces of "fuego de pecho", one of Mazinger main weapons. Mirrored methacrylate, red led tubes, translucid white plastic and red transparent vinyl. That special strong plastic velcro with hold the red pieces on the chest and make it detachable.

And now for some videos:

<a target="_blank" href="https://youtu.be/wo5Yy7C44Xw">

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back