Atomic City "Star Trek" Botany Bay Build

Captain Dunsel

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Atomic City "Star Trek" Botany Bay Build

After a long hiatus from scale model building (about 25 years) I decided to dive into a scale model building project: The Atomic City 1/2 Studio Scale Botany Bay. The model is a pretty hefty size at roughly 22" in length (roughly 1/2 the size of the studio original).

The quick pics below will detail my progress to date:

The basic assembly is completed here with all the seams puttied, sanded, and a few layers of primer followed by wet sanding and more primer:

More progress....

The base coat is washed out in these photos but is a combination of Desert Sand with selected areas painted Light Ivory to simulate sun bleaching of the paint.

I tried to approximate the look of the studio original (with some minor idealization of the weathering in which I omitted simply sanding through the base layer of paint to create weathering, as they did on the studio built original).

Left to do: Sand and stain the stand base, polish the brass stand rod with Brasso, mount the display plaque, and complete the radio / solar panels (I will be adapting some photoestched brass mesh for the panels). I'll be saving those tasks for next weekend. After that, Khan can sleep his time away ensconced in "Rich Corinthian Leather" aboard this thing.

This photo exhibits the true color of the build as it actually appears under "normal lighting conditions":

- - - Updated - - -

This is the last update for the week...

I sanded and stained the stand base and polished the brass mount.

I also began drilling out the radio / solar panel vane mounts and test fit the vanes themselves, prior to their painting and construction (I'm saving that part of the project for next weekend):

Opinions?

Last edited:
Nice work! Years ago I provided the blueprints that were used to make the master for this kit. Nice to see one getting built up after all this time.

Finally finished this one up...

FD34DEBF-5AF3-417C-9145-659FE7FE5120.jpeg
7515AE3B-E314-4841-B36D-B6AB82840124.jpeg
9F791A94-BCFC-4F35-BBA5-028559F6DAC4.jpeg
86CB2ADA-ADCA-4820-A2B4-3E972C4C7092.jpeg
7DDBC17E-9062-4C42-B0D3-BA3F1A54A7C1.jpeg
048E5312-6B44-4AF5-B6E5-37C76EDF5D73.jpeg
4D15938C-92CE-4AC3-88EC-3807E9101D00.jpeg
7B2B0FDC-D9E1-4DB6-8F19-237407E928B2.jpeg

That looks spectacular!!! I'm really impressed with your weathering. Looks to me like it has done exactly what they said in "The Space Seed". Nice detail with one of the metal mesh panels slightly bent.

Welcome back to modelling after your hiatus.

Cheers,

Ted.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back