Sliders Timer WIP

Still any chance of an electronics kit? That's something Id never be able to do myself, I'm much better at the cosmetic stuff. Are the shapeways parts publicly available?

Still any chance of an electronics kit? That's something Id never be able to do myself, I'm much better at the cosmetic stuff. Are the shapeways parts publicly available?

Maybe. I have more pcbs but anyone using it would need to be able to wire in their own battery and also connect the timing module. There's such limited space inside the timer that it's a bit of a challenge. I think I posted a picture earlier in the thread of how I did it with an HTC Evo 3d battery and protection board. It's not exactly plug and play.

I'd go the route of modifying the original battery pack (replace Ni-Cds with lithium batteries and modify the charger) if anyone had a Motorola phone. I have a phone with desk charger and one of the cast kits from a few years ago.

I'm finding that the box from Shapeways is really flimsy, but I can't do much to make it more durable and keep its dimensions, so I'm thinking it over. I can make it available if you really want it, but know that might not pan out.

As for electronics, it's mostly done. I still need to figure out what sound effects to add in. And I'm not really sure what to do about a battery pack yet. If you were to buy one, are you able to solder a battery pack and switch to the board, or would it need to be plug and play?

Also, small update: picture of the board in the box showing the led line up.

View attachment 730371

Last edited:
The original prop builder was on here a couple of years back and was offering some advice to builders.

Hi all,
I have been lurking here for a while, building my own Sliders Timer. I recall rushing home in the late 90's from my job so that I could record grainy Sliders episodes on rabbit ears! I tried to make an original timer in '98, but finding the parts was hard on the early web, or expensive. This page has been invaluable to me as I cut into several phones to make my own type of timer. It might sound odd, but I needed a good platform/power source for portable Tesla coils. Mine has some LED displays under a custom screen, on a later Gray 550 Personal Communicator cheapo model. I am making a bi-polar coil, with a design that looks Sliders-ish. I know to be accurate I should use the Lite, but this thing looks way far from accurate. I figure it would pass as an Earth 207 timer, or Universe 353 or something. I will post pics and do a video when I am done, it will run both a spark gap and PWM slayer circuit setup (changeable coils, one bi-polar, one standard). It will have two top knobs, and a bunch of switches and momentaries on the keypad, and my 'black box' is larger than the show, so the sides don't go all the way up.

If anyone is interested, I could post pics of the progress, which isn't much right now.

I have a question, and some really interesting things to ponder about the original show prop:

Who invented the original timer?? The OEM show prop has some really neat characteristics, if you look up some stuff about electromagnetics. The coil on the front looks like a Helmholtz coil, which is used to produce a stable magnetic field. Some of the display readout labels are components of physics/mathematics, as well as some of the lower 'buttons' on the flip-out. Was the front 'crystal prism' focusing light to open the vortex, through the twin coils? If they thought that deeply about it...wow. I can't locate a good still of what was written on Quinn's basement chalkboard, but always wanted to see if some of it was legit physics. The person who made the hero model was really talented. This prop has far more detail and function than any tri-corder, or most other show props.

Thanks!

When I started out wanting to build one of these a few years ago circuits using MCUs were the pinnacle in compactness. Now we have the various Arduinos and some small SBCs (single board computers) which can offer many more freedoms in design. Still haven't started building mine. I have a couple of phone bodies for the Original Timer, the correct remote to build the Egyptian Timer (along with a custom PCB) and the correct Mad Catz game controller for the Jensen/Exodus timer. I also have a remote that I might be able to turn into the Logan St Clair timer though clear photos of that are hard to find.

Hi. Did you end up offering any assembled boards? Is there a thread in the Junkyard? Idea of price?

I'll offer an assembled board if anyone is interested in my version, but I don't feel like writing up instructions for which parts go where or other important assembly information.

You need the room from emptying out the battery for sure. I'm not sure what that quote is about, but I think I saw the post you're talking about where he describes all the wiring for each led and how it would break constantly. PCB is the way to go to avoid all that but it also presents its own challenges. I've told people in the past that I'd sell them a board for like $225 but they are responsible for their own battery solution and wiring. No one has taken the offer, and I don't blame them. I wouldn't want to feel responsible for wiring something I don't know much about.

Sorry. I never saw this. I haven't touched this in a while. I got a newer box, crystal, and dial from shapeways a while back. I also had the lower faceplate laser cut. I got white on clear dymo labels for the labeling on the box. I expect it all to work out when I get around to putting it together. The electronics have been done for a while. I have 2 kids that keep me busy, as well as a few other projects in the works. Maybe I can finish this next month during my vacation.

I totally understand I have 3 daughters and one is a preteen. I'm up to my ears in distractions. I've learned to be patient. When you have time to finish. Please let me know. I would love to buy one. :)

Looking back, I really should've insisted on a merchandising royaly for that powerup preamble... I think my name has been seen more times on RPF/YouTube than in syndication! (lol, nobody even noticed until season 2). Crazy to see that prop is still a going concern, after 24 years! Memorable as one of my early surface-mount designs, written in 68HC11 assembler. It makes me smile every time I see a replica - especially a good one!

Looking back, I really should've insisted on a merchandising royaly for that powerup preamble... I think my name has been seen more times on RPF/YouTube than in syndication! (lol, nobody even noticed until season 2). Crazy to see that prop is still a going concern, after 24 years! Memorable as one of my early surface-mount designs, written in 68HC11 assembler. It makes me smile every time I see a replica - especially a good one!

Cool! I copied the power up sequence but added my name to the end. I had read that you had put your name in there so I wanted to add my little signature. Do you still make props? Do you have your own timer?

Took some trial and error to get here : View attachment 733967

The solder paste and surface mount components are placed by hand:
View attachment 733968

Then reflowed in the reflow oven:
View attachment 733969

Then touch up fixes are done by hand and other components are added:
View attachment 733970
View attachment 733971

Battery and speakers should be connected once the board is installed in the timer body.
Do you make and sell the circuit board kits like you have pictured? I am interested in buying a few. Do you sell the timers as well?

Anybody in this thread who is able to put the pieces together I have everything that is needed

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back