War Machine from IM2: a Collaboration Between Thorssoli and Clonesix

My plan is just to glue them into place. The gauntlets were carved with raised block that will be obscured by the latches on the top and bottom of the guns. That block is shaped to fit perfectly onto the body of the gun:

Careful with anything from DO3D some of their files are damaged and unusable. The 3D model has multiple holes through it and the walls are super thin causing it to break and fall apart during use. On top of that they charge a lot for poor quality work.
23113624_10156124851810288_1641905096_n.jpg

Back on topic, here's the latest pic Jon has sent me of the remaining leg parts in progress:

I've taken a few minutes lately to actually lay up the leg parts from the molds he's made. Here I am making an ankle:

I've neglected to take pictures of the parts I've pulled from the molds so far. Here's the only picture I have of the shin I laid up the other day:

Sooner or later I'll get a few minutes to sit down and finish prepping the chest parts for carving on the CNC machine.

Stay tuned.

So these past few days I've been noticing this box sitting on the shelf, taunting me:

I'm tempted to line out the "in progress" part of the label, but instead I took the box down from the shelf and decided to peek inside:

Yep. Them are parts.

At this point, most of the digital fabrication is done. Everything has been carved or printed except for the colored parts in this pic:

So I started Maria the Robot Whittler working on the next parts:
[

Here's the lower chest plate all carved out:

And assembled:

The back and chest took a bit longer:

Now there's just a bit more gluing to do:

Sooner or later I'll get to that. Then I can start all of the sanding and filling. But for now I've got this guy on the bench to remind me I've got work to do:

That should speed things up a bit.

IMG_1725.JPGIMG_1727.JPG

I don't know why these are sideways in the post. They are fine in my viewer. anyway, I spent a good portion of the day priming and sanding parts for molding. The weather has finally warmed up enough that the primer dries. This starts the molding process, and that is a slow one. stay tuned.

This project continues. I spent this past 3 day weekend trying to finish up all the molds before the hot summer weather kicks in. Laminating fiberglass in the hot summer is dreadful, and in the cold of the winter, nothing cures right. I feel I got the best of the weather and things look pretty good. The legs are now done. By an odd chance, the right leg molds are pink, and the left leg molds are blue. This was not a deliberate attempt to remind myself which is right and which is left (because let's be honest, we all have our moments), but the distributer sending me blue catalyst with the latest batch of RTV (I am into my 3rd 5 gal bucket). The only reason I mention this is that the distributor recommended the pink cat as a longer shelf life. I am using the GI-1000 from Silicones Inc. The Blue catalyzed RTV flowed better than the pink catalyzed RTV. The reason that the fluid viscosity is worthy of mention here is that as you can see from the photos that I build the fiberglass shell first and pour the RTV second, and in order to fill the 3/8" cavity, the RTV travels down a tall funnel to use the weight of the material to force the material through the cavity. The blue flows better than the pink

IMG_1952.JPG.IMG_1835.JPGIMG_1958.JPGIMG_1974.JPG

IMG_1975.JPGI tried to add images to the above post, but had issues, so here are some more pics of the shin molds.

IMG_2026.JPGIMG_2024.JPGIMG_2029.JPG

The leg molds are done, and I will laminate some parts this weekend and post some pics

Small EDIT:

IMG_2031.JPGHere they are as finished molds. they came out great and I will attempt to produce some parts this weekend

OK, sorry for the sideways pictures. They were right side up when I was looking at them. Yes, still getting used to my new phone...

Last edited:
IMG_2102.JPGI managed to get the left leg laminated. The thigh is done and I am gluing the shin top an bottom together to make it one piece. I will get to the other thigh and post pictures.

I am attempting the cod mold, and it will be glass only, no RTV. It was a pretty full weekend, but I managed o make some progress.

IMG_2111 (2).JPGIMG_2111.JPG

OK, I tried to rotate the photo 90 deg, but it is still sideways. Sorry.

the legs are done and they look pretty nice. I just wanted to post this to show that I got stuff done over the weekend. the hot weather is starting and I don't think I will be laminating much fiberglass in the garage this summer, because I got it all done early!

Next: gauntlets

Last edited:
Looking good, sir!

Here's the bigger, right-side up pic:

Though I like this other one you sent me better:

I really need to get some time to do more on my parts.

Still making slow progress on the chest and back:

I've finally had a minute to sit down and start wiring up the eyes for the helmet(s):

So that's a thing.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back