Thorssoli's T-60 Power Armor Build from Fallout 4

I also was hoping you'd keep the damage. It's actually too bad that in the game your armor couldn't show damage.

I figure as long as I'm painting more than one, I might as well make them all at least a bit different from one another.

@thorssoli I like your "Safety Third" sign.

Yeah. I'm pretty proud of it. I make it a point to add as much silliness as I can to my workspace.

Great to see that the project is still on and that those helmets are ready to be painted:)

The project is definitely still on. The main challenge is finding ways to pay for it.

Since last I posted, I gave the bits of spot putty a quick sanding and then each of the helmets got a coat of primer:

After that had a chance to dry, they were each given their basecoats. Here's the one with all of the battle damage:

That was mostly just me tinkering around in the shop one evening. The next day I returned to find them all like so:

In a bit of a hurry, I sprayed a basecoat on all of them. Then I started weathering the one that was already dry. So far, weathering has just been a quick blackwash:

You can see the blackwashed helmet on the right here:

I decided I needed one of these guys too:

So these guys have been shaping up:

For the past week or so, they've just been hanging in the shop waiting for me to find time to work on them again:

A couple of days ago, I assembled four of the sight arms for these guys:

Once they're painted, I'll be adding these acrylic cabochons to look like lenses:

Here's five of them in their base colors:

They're looking alright:

At some point in the next couple of days, I'll finish weathering the other four helmets, add a stenciled logo to the back of the Atom Cats helmet, and attach the last couple of widgets.

For now, I have to stay focused and stop screwing around in the shop wearing the most finished helmet so far:

Stay tuned...

EDIT: On a side note, I think I'm about to make molds for these guys:

So that's a thing.

Last edited:
I'll raise a bottle to that!

quartz.jpg

Nice work! I just found this thread and had a great time reading through the whole thing. Really dug your ED 209 build, and this one also does not disappoint!

Hol-y-crap that's awesome. I'm just starting an EVA foam light / medium combat armor build and I could never do something like this. I can barely model a cube in sketchup. This is AMAZING.

Thanks for the kind words, guys. It's encouragement like this that really acts like fuel for these sorts of projects.

You'll be pleased to know that I'm nearly done painting the five helmets I decided to knock out. I started with these two:

The one on the right got a logo stenciled on the backside:

That was given a light blackwash:

Then I set to work adding blackwash and rust to the other four helmets:

This one was given a fairly light rust treatment:

And here's the one with the dents and bullet dings as it looks right now:

I still have to add the last couple of greeblies and the lenses to all of these guys. Then they'll get a little bit more weathering and they'll be good to go.

After that, I just need to finish the rest of the suit and rig all of the parts to be wearable.

Thorssoli, these are looking excellent. I can't till i can get to work on mine.

If you have time, a short guide on how to do such good rust paintwork would be really useful to me and a lot of readers I am sure. I am fairly new to painting and weathering props.
Just a paragraph on your method/tips would be incredibly helpful.

God I wish they would allow to cuss on this site when it's appropriate...because those things are #&@%ing amazing.

If you have time, a short guide on how to do such good rust paintwork would be really useful to me and a lot of readers I am sure.

I actually included a chapter all about this in my book. If you're interested, you can get a copy here: http://amzn.to/2i76iQy The short version: after the silver paint had dried, I coated everything with watered down black acrylic paint. Then used a rag and sponges to daub it off of the high spots. This leaves black grime in the recessed areas. After it dried, I did the same thing with a couple of different rust colored paints in selected areas. Drips and runs in this stage only add to the the realism. It helps if you start by looking at a bunch of rusty steel and iron out in the wild so you have an idea of what the final thing should look like.

God I wish they would allow to cuss on this site when it's appropriate...because those things are #&@%ing amazing.

Ace!! Love the weathering on those lids:cool

Thanks for the compliments, guys. I'm pretty happy with them so far. Though they'll look a lot better once I've had time to actually install all of the lenses and whatnot. Here's how they look for right now:

The painting is pretty much done. Except for the top left one which needs rust:

The heavy rusted one with the dents and bullet dings will probably get a bit of drybrushing to make the dents and dings stand out:

I'll probably also drybrush on some silver to add a bit of wear to the Atom Cats version:

But so far, this one with the light rust treatment is still my favorite:

Stay tuned for more...

Heavier rust:
[

This effect was achieved with a combination of Mod Podge and cinnamon:

I was going for that "left in the wasteland for a decade" look:

I think I achieved it:

I really can't wait to do a proper photoshoot with the rest of the armor and a photographer:

Looks good! I'm going to try the pipe weapons after I do the laser rifle so I will probably try the cinnamon trick. I saw another good rust technique, but I think I accidentally deleted the link. I forget the girl's name, but she's a popular German (I think) cosplayer who sells books on making costumes. I think her technique used iron filings that you sprayed with a chemical mix that would instantly rust.

I saw another good rust technique, but I think I accidentally deleted the link. I forget the girl's name, but she's a popular German (I think) cosplayer who sells books on making costumes. I think her technique used iron filings that you sprayed with a chemical mix that would instantly rust.

I made a point of saving this link, probably not the same one you are talking about, this guy uses rocksalt.... (plus its also a Fallout prop)
https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=278008

Those pictures Thorssoli, are amazing! The fact that I am going to have to wait like 6 months before I can start on my T-60 helmet kit is agonizing. Cannot wait to see your full armor completed.

Looks good! I'm going to try the pipe weapons after I do the laser rifle so I will probably try the cinnamon trick. I saw another good rust technique, but I think I accidentally deleted the link. I forget the girl's name, but she's a popular German (I think) cosplayer who sells books on making costumes. I think her technique used iron filings that you sprayed with a chemical mix that would instantly rust.
Kamui.

Strategically applies iron powder and forces it to rust with white vinegar and peroxide. Does look amazing...

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back