Thorssoli's T-60 Power Armor Build from Fallout 4

Thank you guys for the kind words. I'm about to need all of the encouragement I can get if I'm going to grind through all of the trimming and prep work on the huge stack of parts in progress:

On a related note, I weighed the full set of parts so far and they came in at a shade under 49 pounds. So it's a bit more weight than I was aiming for. I'm pretty sure I can lay up a lighter set of fiberglass pieces and the resin casts don't have any filler mixed in, so there's a few pounds I can shave off here and there. Still, as expected, this thing is going to be a beast to wear.

Also, for anyone who was on the edge of their seats wondering how the finger molds worked out, here's a set of parts being demolded:

And a set of fingers loosely placed with a handplate:

The next step will be working out the rigging for the finger movement.

Stay tuned...

Been away from the workshop for a couple of weeks. Now I'm back for a bit and it's time to get churning on this project again.

First thing I did was find a resin I liked in order to cast the headlight lens:

I can't help but be amazed at how many pieces go into just the helmet alone:

In case nobody noticed, I decided to upgrade the swing arm for the optics on the right side of the helmet:

Now it's a bit more rigid to support the bit of weight hanging on its end:

Next up: prepping and painting!

That is awesome! I was curious how you were going to do the light because the lens looks like technical glass. I completely forgot about clear resin...

I'm not sure the picture does it justice, maybe if you packaged up a set and shipped it to me, I could also partake in the amazement :cool

No problem. Just shoot me a PM with your shipping address and your PayPal address. I'll just need you to pay for shipping and a security deposit for while you're partaking. :)

(Or you could look up the sales thread.)

On a more serious note, Lewis and I decided to do a quick duct tape test strapping for the full suit. It's kinda huge:

Okay, not quite that huge. That was the two of us messing with forced perspective and my ability to hunch into a much smaller-looking pose. For a better idea, here I am standing next to it at 5'7" tall:

Here's Lewis at 5'10" tall:

The suit will be a little taller still once we've got an actual person inside, but for now it's pretty imposing:

But still fun:

In other news, I decided to prep a couple of extra helmets. All told, it was a little under an hour of trimming and sanding to get both of them ready for primer:

All that remains is to drill the holes for the levers and hoses. Piece of cake.

No problem. Just shoot me a PM with your shipping address and your PayPal address. I'll just need you to pay for shipping and a security deposit for while you're partaking. :)

(Or you could look up the sales thread.)

Hah, I didn't even know there was a sales thread... that will teach me for just looking at the pictures and making bad 'send me one' jokes. :facepalm

Anyway, I posted in the sales thread, how can I not contribute to you guys after sharing this incredible build.

Always loved your builds. Your RVB Spartans are what got me in to building replicas to begin with. I'm proud to say this is my first purchase from anyone here. Thanks for sharing the process!

Always loved your builds. Your RVB Spartans are what got me in to building replicas to begin with... ...Thanks for sharing the process!

It really means a lot to know that I've inspired someone. If you want an even clearer breakdown of my processes, pick up a copy of my how-to book: LINK.

Just remember to pay it forward and show your work.

Awesome! How are you going to wear this thing without the frame?

I don't need most of the frame. The fiberglass shells are pretty sturdy on their own. I'll be making a modified stilt/platform arrangement for the feet. The lower legs will be mounted to that. The back will strap on much like a backpack with a waist belt and shoulder straps. Then the thighs, shoulders, chest, and arms will all be suspended from that assembly.

It'll all make a lot more sense when we get closer to finished.

I had a wild hair yesterday afternoon and decided to start finishing some helmets. I had three good castings on the bench and one horrible reject that was just a little too good to throw away. Here's how they started out:

This is the inside of the ugly reject after rough-trimming the neck hole:

And here's the ugly reject showing the void that collapsed on the left side of the snout:

Trimming the eye holes was done with a tile cutting bit on the dremel:

I also rough cut the sink drain holes in the snout with the same bit:

So after a few minutes' work, here's four helmets with the rough trimming done:

Next, I smoothed out the neck holes with a sanding drum:

The ugly reject took a bit longer because I decided to grind out a lump on the inside:

Next, I smoothed out the eye holes:

Each cast has a tiny flaw on the left side of the chin from a bubble in the mold:

There's also a tiny blob on the underside of the snout (I know, I'm a failure):

Fortunately, a high-speed cutting bit makes quick work of these:

Dremel work done, I move onto sanding the neck hole by hand:

Eye holes too:

There's a tiny bit of mold flashing on the back of a couple of the castings where the mold seam was:

This goes away after a few seconds worth of love from a sanding block:

After that, I sand down the entire surface of the helmet to take the shine off:

This will give the primer a bit more "tooth" to grab onto on the surface.

That done, I drill a hole in the right ear to fit the bolt that will hold the sight arm:

The hole is 1/4":

The snout also gets a 3/16 hole for the little lever:

And finally, I drill a 1" hole everywhere the gas mask hoses attach:

Piece of cake:

Next I trim the cheek hose attachments:

The mold sprues get cut off with a cut-off wheel:

Then they get glued onto the surface of each helmet:

After bending some 1/4" aluminum rod to make the eye guard rails, I drilled holes to fit them and glued them into place. Then touched up the ends of the cheek tubes with spot putty to hide the seams and set the helmets aside to dry:

Since I had a minute to wait, I decided to add a bit more "damage" to the ugly reject helmet. It already had this big dent:

I figured I'd leave off the detail greeblies on the left nostril too, so I drilled out the spots that they would cover:

I also dug a bit of a hole on the right side of the snout:

And another hole in the forehead:

The forehead hole got a bit of love with some bondo and spot putty:

So did the one on the snout:

I also decided to add a bent section to the ridge around the sink drain on the snout:

After adding the headlamps, I decided to call it a day. As of last night when I was leaving the shop, this is how they looked:

The silver one in the top row was casting Number 1 out of the mold. I decided the picture looked better with more helmet in it.

Not bad for a few hours of relaxed tinkering.

First thought I had when you pointed out the damaged one was, "I'd leave the flaw and make it look like battle damage." Glad to see you did. After seeing the final results, I'd probably take that one over a clean one. With the right weathering/paint job, it'll look awesome.

Great work as always.

First thought I had when you pointed out the damaged one was, "I'd leave the flaw and make it look like battle damage."

I filled some of the flaws. The big dent I liked. There were a couple of other voids along the ridge that passes under the cheek tube and I couldn't think of a way to keep them without mangling the tube. I like the tube where it is, so I had to fill in the holes behind it.

Paint next. Stay tuned...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back