ST:ENT Hand Scanner Help & Suggestions

So, I know you're putting video in, but does it have sound?
So its a possibility. The mp3 has an earphone port. I was thinking of using a earbud and shorten the wires to fit in the prop... or if i can find a tiny speaker.

Propmaster2000 had mentioned how to do the later in an earlier post.

So im looking at into it....

Alright, I found another source for the steel rod. This one is 2x100mm. Fits great and the the main spring guides align with no issue. I could actually go with a thicker (maybe up to 4mm) rod if I have to which is great to know. But this seems to work very well, I had no failures popping up the scanner or closing it tonight. A couple times I could hear a coil pop out of line but it would only be like a few millimeters so I'm not too concerned right now. Pics of the internal construction and spring open/closed.

Also for sound... I'm hoping to find a small speaker or maybe fit one earbud (casing removed) in the space where my pointer finger is just below the screen... the earphone jack is on the lower right of the screen (if being held upright).

ENTSCNRspring01.pngENTSCNRspring02.png

I'm also working on screens.. as you can see above I have a new scanner screen. I can't seem to find ENT LCARs (I know LCARs doesn't exist in 2151 yet) that will fit the screen and look like they belong there. I've been thinking of making animated gifs that I could add sound to. Not 100% sure how to do that. 160x128 pixel screen really makes you creative. I will try to animate the tri radar like scan from the show ... but does anyone know what software (free) I could use for that? Flash animate then export to youtube movie? And could I add sound some how (I can't seem to find the ENT scanner sfx anywhere either). Here is an example of the tri radar that I'd like to animate. these are the actual screen size images I upload to the mp3 player except I use BMPs.

ENT SCAN 02bPNG.png

I've also toyed with making the pretend "UI" that is more legible (middle column of buttons) but I kinda still like the shrunk ones better still (far right column)

TEST01aPNG.png

Any comments suggests welcome as always. and big thank you to all the help so far...

This thing is looking incredible. I cannot wait for you to do more with this project.

Thank you kindly SFSecurity!

So where am I now??? well .... been doing research on my 3D printer for improving print quality, and making screens and thinking in my head how to animate them.

Oh but here is picture of the scanner with the screen border colored in... you can also see how the screen fits overall in the "window" better. And yes that's a medical screen. Again I cannibalized different google finds and am piecing together stuff.. I've separated the elements so I can look at animating it. Having the arrows go up and down and having the blue and red lights flash like respiration and heart beat rhythm.

ENTSCNR20.jpg

So I found out that if I used whats called "magic numbers" for layers I can get much better resolution as it takes into about the actual axis motor and mechanical lengths. So I'll be looking into that and running test prints. I'm also trying to found out better ways to remove the layered look.. everything from using a heat gun to solvents to melt and "glaze" the top layer. Apparently this solvent melt is best for ABS.. not PLA. So some tinkering to do yet... but the beta prototype is doing well and the springs are all staying nice and strong and the rod helps so much... so pop-up mechanism is set. Oh I do need to source a spring for the button.. I've been using a click pen spring for that.. .so technically I have a source... I just need to buy a packs of click pens.. and liberate the springs :D

Hope to try printing with magic numbers soon and see how it turns out.

This looks great! What 3D printer do you have?

Thanks Jeff_Haas! So I have a monoprice mini select v1. I'm very happy with it. It has a 120x120x120 mm print area. So you have to plan bigger print projects but its pretty good size. And I use sketchup for my 3D drawing.

I've been looking into 3D printers for awhile. Will have to clear out some garage space and put in electric outlets before I can get one though.

Anyway, back to the model...is there a chance you will release the 3D files when you're done? This looks great.

Anyway, back to the model...is there a chance you will release the 3D files when you're done? This looks great.

So I was going to put a version of it in thingverse. Not knowing how dedicated the 3D printer crowd is, id likely put a version without the electronics set up. The pop up feature sure, as thats kinda the point... but obviously one would have to buy the springs themselves.

So I have used my 3D printer in the garage and the difficulties are temp control. My garage isnt temp controlled so in winter its kinda off limits. PLA apparently doesnt smell when printing, but you are melting plastic... so it cant be good for you. Just something to think about...

Based on what I've seen at Thingiverse, plus what I've seen of prop makers, I'd suggest you put up everything. You could have versions with and without the electronics if you want. I can see some people just wanting to put LED lighting in with a transparency for the display, while others would put in the little LCD screen.

Also, do you have links to the mp3/mp4 players?

I looked through Thingiverse, there are actually two other versions of the Enterprise scanner - one seems to be a 3D print of the resin model. It's fixed open, but it looks really good. The other opens and closes but doesn't have a spring mechanism. Neither one has any electronics in it.

I looked through Thingiverse, there are actually two other versions of the Enterprise scanner - one seems to be a 3D print of the resin model. It's fixed open, but it looks really good. The other opens and closes but doesn't have a spring mechanism. Neither one has any electronics in it.

Neat there is a new one. Im always amazed at how people solve problems or approach projects differently.

I also saw a better phase pistol on there... ive thought about designing one to replace my old art asylum one in case it breaks. Almost finished an ENT communicator too.

Anyways... so nothing new to report on my scanner ... havent had time to print a piece with magic numbers yet. Hopefully soon tho ...

Have you got the 3d files used for this please? Trying to work out the spring mechanism but yours looks perfect
So roughly 6 months ago the family laptop imploded. Like hard disk failure. So unfortunately Im pretty sure I lost them. I do have gcodes on my monoprice micro card.. were they the update ones... Likely... But unfortunately the laptop that could load them is well dead. Tho I don't remember if I could even make them stls anymore.

So needless to say I'm fairly bummed I lost them but also that I didn't publish them.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back