Tested inpired Spacegun, (altered Nerf Gun)j

Amsterdamned

Hello there ;)

After seeing Adam Savage's build of the Nerf gun in Tested, I started working on my own one-day build (was 2 actually because of the paint job).

I saw this cheap toy gun in a thrift store in my town for about .50 cents and it looked gorgeous.
It didn't work anymore that is why it was so cheap, but then again, I was only going to use it as a prop.

The design is quite nice and adds to the futuristic look I wanted to create.

Now I have to tell you that I am a complete noob in building and creating but I just idolize what people can create and come up with.
And I want to be a part of that world and be able to build my own builds,,,be a maker haha

(been a member for the RPF about 3 years now and was always just luring :))

That being said, because my contract at work was ending, I now have a bit more free time so I've cleaned up my toolshed and bought some stuff.

The video of Adam Savage painting a prop gun gave some good instructions for me to follow.

First sting I did was sand the plastic with Scotch Brite and then used white spray primer,
DSC_0005.JPG
Like this ;) (sorry didn't make a photo before the primer, real stupid I know, but it was green with a darker shade of green and silver in the middle)

DSC_0021.jpg
DSC_0031.jpg
DSC_0036.jpg
(Had some damage after the masking tape went off,,,I'll incorporate it in the design/weathering cuz I cant seem to fix this..bad masking tape I guess)
dDSC_0047.jpg
See,,,(damn shame. the masking tape ripps the paint off and leaves a sticky surface, any suggestions how to prevent it??)

DSC_0046.jpg
This is the result,, I've weathered it with different kind of colors paint and used the bad parts to make it look like there was rust of smudge.
Because I couldn't find rub'n'buff (think that they don't have it here) I again used the scotch brite to give it a damaged look. also I used a very faint coat of black matte paint to give it a little darker look.

For my first try,, I'm satisfied enoug,,,but for my next run I need it to be more perfect.
So hope someone can help me with the following and then I'll try this again with another prop gun and other projects.

How to deal with damage in paint by masking tape,
How to deal with the sticky leftover from the masking tape,
and how the hell do you mask everything perfect like I see in so many builds... Is it with a xacto knife and toothpicks??

Anyway, hope you liked it, This was a great training for me and a start for many more builds to come I hope :)

Ruben

Attachments

• DSC_0041.JPG
    DSC_0041.JPG
    926.3 KB · Views: 132
My #1 suggestion to anyone doing masking is to go to an auto parts store and get the green 3M automotive masking tape. The problem with blue and white tapes are they're designed mostly for latex paint. When you have a strong solvent come in contact with the adhesive it not only bleeds under but also creates that goo left over after you pull the tape off. I honestly don't know how some people get away with it.

If you have fresh paint that might get pulled up then stick the tape to your shirt a time or two first to take away some of the stickiness. But don't discount the hair dryer trick. It really does speed up the hardening of spray paint.

If you have something that requires a fine degree of masking, lay some tape on a smooth surface and cut thin strips off. The green tape can take a lot of handling, unlike the blue, for instance, which loses all adhesion as soon as you look at it.

Otherwise I think you've got it.

-Rog

My #1 suggestion to anyone doing masking is to go to an auto parts store and get the green 3M automotive masking tape. The problem with blue and white tapes are they're designed mostly for latex paint. When you have a strong solvent come in contact with the adhesive it not only bleeds under but also creates that goo left over after you pull the tape off. I honestly don't know how some people get away with it.

If you have fresh paint that might get pulled up then stick the tape to your shirt a time or two first to take away some of the stickiness. But don't discount the hair dryer trick. It really does speed up the hardening of spray paint.

If you have something that requires a fine degree of masking, lay some tape on a smooth surface and cut thin strips off. The green tape can take a lot of handling, unlike the blue, for instance, which loses all adhesion as soon as you look at it.

Otherwise I think you've got it.

-Rog
Thank you, that was what I needed to know . I litteraly could not sleep because of this.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back