Mad Max Fury Road Razor Cola Screaming Skull

DeLano80

Sr Member
Hello! I will be trying to replicate this skull from Mad Max Fury Road. It is on Mad Max's car that has been turned into the "Razor Cola". It should not be too difficult but was wondering if anyone could help me with the parts.

80_zpssl4cw17s.jpg

(Picture come from : https://www.behance.net/gallery/26652427/Before-the-Dirt-The-Cars-of-Mad-Max-Fury-Road)

Pretty basic right? Some metal and wire. For the metal I was thinking maybe lead sheet as it is easy to conform to odd surfaces, but not sure about that yet. I was hoping someone might know what those rivets are? The small ones aren't conventional rivets so maybe nails? And what are the bigger ones? I could make them if needed, but would like to use the real thing if possible. Another thing of course is what are the bars holding the lower jaw? I do not have many good pictures of this thing and would greatly appreciate any ones help or ideas if they have them!

Last edited:
Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull Parts Help

A couple more reference photos. Shows the connection to the lower jaw better. I would like to use "real parts" instead of making them. Any body have any ideas?

The two long pieces connecting the lower jaw, look like the middle part of a turnbuckle.

Looks like a real skull (or replica of) and custom made metal bits and wire. Those bolts look chunky. Like at least M10.

The rivets look like upholstery tacks, you can pick them up at just about any craft store
008236123760lg.jpg
$(KGrHqFHJEgFJ,MRDfgQBSYTuhfl0w~~_32.JPG
Oh and the pieces connecting the lower jaw are definitely the middle parts from turn buckles.
Using lead for the metal straps is a great idea too, easy to work with since it's soft and since it's got more of a matte finish too it you won't have to work as much at weathering it

Last edited:

I am thinking You are correct on the turnbuckles. When my skull gets here I can scale it out.
As for the small small rivets, I am thinking of solid domed rivets

The larger fasteners are still perplexing me...

Last edited:

The skull looks like an ape/chimp skull of some sort to me. Cranium doesn't look tall enough to be human. The "teeth" look just like steel plate chopped and cut up. Steel wire looks like any you find at any hardware store; looks like maybe 16 gauge?

The large conical rivets dotting the skull are cone head/pan head/shoulder rivets. Just Google that and you'll find a bunch, dunno where to order them though. Alternatively, you could use cone head tacks, as well, but I don't know if they come in the sizes you're looking for.

If you can source right size nuts and bolts, with the turnbuckle, it should look really close to the actual thing.

Last edited:

Cranium doesn't look tall enough to be human.
I kind of agree. With that brow, it looks kinda neanderthal, huh? I am sure they used replicas of skulls. And it would seem weird to me that they would use a primate skull. Monkeys are not indigenous to Australia, but you never know what they could use. A quick search did not yield anything. I sent the picture off to The Museum of Osteology. Maybe they will get back to me.

I kind of agree. With that brow, it looks kinda neanderthal, huh? I am sure they used replicas of skulls...

I just did a quick search and it certainly seems to match up, size and proportion, to that. If you can find a replica, that may be your way to go.

EDIT: Positive they used a replica Neanderthal skull from eBay. Particualraly, this listing. The marks on the skull and chip in the jawline match. Hell, with all this research, I may have to attempt one myself now.

8f025e94e3329f5cdda0efd174d0822d.jpg

Last edited:

I just did a quick search and it certainly seems to match up, size and proportion, to that. If you can find a replica, that may be your way to go.
I am inclined to agree. Slap a new paint job on and there you go. Spendy skull though... The one I am getting is a modern human skull. Now I will have to get this. Makes me wonder why they would use a neanderthal? Seems weird.

The probably choose the exaggerated features as they would stand out on film.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the brief conversation I had with one of the artists working on the film when I was working on my Ripsaw wheel, it seemed like most the materials were already on-hand or supplied in unsorted bulk. The artist I spoke to said he didn't know exactly what he used beyond that he used them. In regards to his Ripsaw ornament, he said when he ran out of bullet casings, the department just supplied him in another bucket.

It was also said that different teams of artists were assigned vehicles to work on independently, so that each car was distinct visually and artistically from one another. I imagine the piece was most likely used because it was brought by one of the artists or already on-hand and was grabbed from a box of stuff.

Positive they used a replica Neanderthal skull from eBay. Particualraly, this listing.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/8f/02/5e/8f025e94e3329f5cdda0efd174d0822d.jpg

Now you can be even more positive....
There was literally ONE picture of this companies skull on the internet that I could find, so I got some more from the factory.

I learned that it is hollow, but the sinus cavity will have to be opened up into the roof of the mouth to allow the wires to pass through. That is a natural feature of a skull as we know. Also the orbital bone on the Mad Max skull was opened up to allow for more wire wrapping. That is not natural. I was told that the material they use to make this can be drilled but the guy I spoke to expressed concern about the size of the hole needed to be put into the jaw bone for the bolt. He said it would become very delicate.
I think they used castings of this skull because they are expensive. I also did a quick search and found this skull was used in other places in the movie. There is one on the front of the War Rig for example.

After I get this, I can scale the rivets and turnbuckles. I started to do this with my modern human skull, but found the neanderthal is quite a bit larger so my measurements would not be accurate.

Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull Parts

I got the neanderthal in the mail. First off, it is LARGE. They must have been very ugly in real life. Second, it is heavy. It is made of something similar to polystone maybe???? If I use this I imagine the only way I will be able to open the sinus cavity and drill holes for the rivets will be with a diamond burr bit perhaps. Ideally, if I had mold making/resin casting friends, I would have casts made in resin. That would be much easier to work with. Alas, I have no such friends.

Last edited:

Comparison between the neanderthal used for the screaming skull vs. a modern human adult skull.
IMG_1011_zps0whpxlvm.jpg

A little bit of progress. I hollowed out the nose and opened the sinus(?) on the roof of the mouth to use as the exit for the wire.
IMG_1015_zpsqvertaye.jpg

IMG_1013_zpsuelhleiw.jpg

My worries about breakage or chipping was unfounded. Whatever material this is made from is easy to work with. I used a grinding bit with my dremel.
I have the solid dome head rivets coming. The conical rivets I have yet to find a good source for.

Last edited:

it could be that they used that particular style of skull not only because it was "just laying around" but also because they liked the look of the cracks and chips in the skull (lending that the owner of said skull most likely died a most unpleasant death). Also you have to keep in mind that mutation seems to run rampant in Max's world, so a person having neanderthal like features probably wouldn't be out of the question.

I got the neanderthal in the mail. First off, it is LARGE. They must have been very ugly in real life. Second, it is heavy. It is made of something similar to polystone maybe???? If I use this I imagine the only way I will be able to open the sinus cavity and drill holes for the rivets will be with a diamond burr bit perhaps. Ideally, if I had mold making/resin casting friends, I would have casts made in resin. That would be much easier to work with. Alas, I have no such friends.
What do you mean you have no such friends? Your on the rpf! There are plenty of us like that here[emoji38]

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back