Mad Max Fury Road Razor Cola Screaming Skull

Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull

A cheap stand of pipe fittings. I think for the real screaming skull, I will find a way to display it that is less obtrusive. But this does serve its purpose.
a_zpsijn7upzo.jpg

b_zpsph9f4v7q.jpg

that is too damn cool. i love it, i think i need one for myself,,,lol Its a true work of art.....well done!

that is too damn cool. i love it, i think i need one for myself,,,lol Its a true work of art.....well done!

Great job.:cool

Thank you! Fun to work on.

Okay back to the real version...
I finally got my turnbuckles! They are not the exact style, but close enough to be modified to be as accurate as I can get. These are Merriman bronze turnbuckles. They scale to the correct size, shape and length. The ends are bulged out in the profile. That needs to be flattened and there is also a crossbar in the middle that needs to go.

So this:
s-l1600_zpspx2euxg5.jpg

Compared to this:
2_zpspcokf9h8.jpg

I have actually seen these bronze turnbuckle with a patina very close to the above picture. Mine are chrome plated and they are going on the mill. I will flatten out the bulged ends and blend in the radius as well as cutting out the crossbar.

And here they are after the milling and sandblasting the stubborn chrome off:
IMG_1070_zps2qwhlnxs.jpg

A couple comparison shots against my computer screen:

Laid right on top of the closest turnbuckle in the photo.
IMG_1071_zps2raq6n91.jpg

And a side by side:
IMG_1072_zpsm9xammro.jpg

Pretty close I think. May have to round the ends a bit more.
That is it for now. Thanks for looking at my ultra-super slow paced build of something more people may have cared about two years ago when the movie came out! :p

On the lower jaw, maybe create a rough wood "U" shape and put that on a vise with the metal piece and start hammering them over? Also cut V notches to bend it over as Papapoopa says.

Everything is looking way awesome!!! great job.

great work so far.....tough when you have kids, believe me in know. These builds can take forever. looks awesome

...Thanks for looking at my ultra-super slow paced build of something more people may have cared about two years ago when the movie came out! :p

Friend, a top-quality film like Fury Road will always be revered. I bet you, 20 years from now, FR will still be looked at with awe and still excite viewers. Definitely heads above the other films that were released that year.

On the lower jaw, maybe create a rough wood "U" shape and put that on a vise with the metal piece and start hammering them over? Also cut V notches to bend it over as Papapoopa says.
Good idea! I will try that. Maybe I can beat it into submission.

great work so far.....tough when you have kids, believe me in know. These builds can take forever. looks awesome
Thank you! And family, while full of good times, can be a real hindrance to hobbies!

Friend, a top-quality film like Fury Road will always be revered. I bet you, 20 years from now, FR will still be looked at with awe and still excite viewers. Definitely heads above the other films that were released that year.
Poopa, you speak the truth!
By the way, I have admired your Nux bobblehead and your steering wheel. Your work is top notch!

Last edited:

Thanks! I actually had in mind of making the wheel for myself, with the fully decorated "wreath", and have enough materials to do it but...that's been put on the back-burner. At least until I get a bandsaw.

That "Mini-Max", is that based off an actual human skull?

Yes. It is a hollow resin cast of a real human skull.

*edit* Wait, did you mean an actual "actual" skull? No. But I am weird enough to do such a thing.... Real human skull are expensive though. Donate yours to me and I'll do it!

Last edited:

Yes. It is a hollow resin cast of a real human skull.

Did you paint it yourself? If so, you did an amazing job! I work i a natural history museum and have seen my fair share of real and replica skulls. I can usually tell them apart just at a glance, but I wasn't sure looking at your pictures.

Did you paint it yourself? If so, you did an amazing job! I work i a natural history museum and have seen my fair share of real and replica skulls. I can usually tell them apart just at a glance, but I wasn't sure looking at your pictures.

I will pass on your compliment to the painter! I didn't do it. But that is good to hear.

I did paint this one myself as a test to see if I could paint a skull realistically. Please tell me what you think. I used white primer and oil paints.
IMG_1086_zpszq17y7bh.jpg

IMG_1085_zpso6hlmgas.jpg

IMG_1087_zpszwkh8oit.jpg

Your criticism is welcome!

Not a bad paint-job at all! Getting plastic to look like worn and discoloured bone is not easy. Our local preparator sometimes paint up casts of fossils for other museums, and the skull you did is about as good as he does (and he's a professional).

Real human skull are expensive though. Donate yours to me and I'll do it!

They used to be fairly affordable. Medical students usually bought a "box-o'-bone" from India, but after India enacted a ban on skeleton export in 1985 prices rose sharply. Kina exported for a while, but after they too closed down export to brush up they international image in connection with the Beijing summer Olympics, prices sky-rocketed.

Not a bad paint-job at all! Getting plastic to look like worn and discoloured bone is not easy. Our local preparator sometimes paint up casts of fossils for other museums, and the skull you did is about as good as he does (and he's a professional).
Thank you sir! I am still working on my techniques for when i do the neanderthal skull. And you are right, bone is difficult to replicate. I have never tried to paint one before, so it is new to me.

They used to be fairly affordable. Medical students usually bought a "box-o'-bone" from India, but after India enacted a ban on skeleton export in 1985 prices rose sharply. Kina exported for a while, but after they too closed down export to brush up they international image in connection with the Beijing summer Olympics, prices sky-rocketed.
$1000 and up. That is too much. But for some strange reason, I wouldn't mind having one. Maybe to look at my own mortality or something.

It has been a very long time since I last got anything done on the skull. I was stuck on the teeth. After many failed attempts, I found a great custom car shop called Godspeed Fabrication. Look them up! They are in Auburn, Wa. I live in Buckley so it is close. The guy was very helpful and he had the tools to form metal. So I commissioned him to make the blanks for me. They are steel. They fit great! I was so happy to get those done. Then I traced the teeth as best I could from the limited photos I have and cut them with shears. Laid out the hole pattern for the rivets and drilled them.
IMG_1141_zps2olg5wop.jpg

IMG_1140_zpspgqutnd6.jpg

IMG_1142_zps8nwbqa61.jpg

Now I have everything I need to finish this dang thing...

I got the the white base paint done, as well as the straps and the all the rivet holes to attach the straps and the teeth. What is left is painting the skull, attaching the metal and weathering the metal. That is about it, I think.

IMG_1215.JPG
IMG_1217.JPG
IMG_1218.JPG

Much progress has been made. Here is a piece I will show you. It is just about done. Just need to get some appropriately rusty bolts and assemble. I am in the process of testing some different kind of rusts. It will be subtle...
And also of course, how will I display and where will I put it???????????? I have no idea.

IMG_1224.JPG

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back