Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Subscribe
    From
    Oslo, Norway
    3 Days Ago  Jun 23, 2017, 12:20 AM - Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull #51

That "Mini-Max", is that based off an actual human skull?
    2 Days Ago  Jun 23, 2017, 10:37 AM - Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull #52

Friendly flyer said: View Post
    That "Mini-Max", is that based off an actual human skull?
    Yes. It is a hollow resin cast of a real human skull.

*edit* Wait, did you mean an actual "actual" skull? No. But I am weird enough to do such a thing.... Real human skull are expensive though. Donate yours to me and I'll do it!
    Last edited by DeLano80; 2 Days Ago at 10:40 PM.
    From
    Oslo, Norway
    1 Day Ago  Jun 24, 2017, 10:46 AM - Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull #53

DeLano80 said: View Post
    Yes. It is a hollow resin cast of a real human skull.
    Did you paint it yourself? If so, you did an amazing job! I work i a natural history museum and have seen my fair share of real and replica skulls. I can usually tell them apart just at a glance, but I wasn't sure looking at your pictures.
    1 Day Ago  Jun 24, 2017, 12:16 PM - Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull #54

Did you paint it yourself? If so, you did an amazing job! I work i a natural history museum and have seen my fair share of real and replica skulls. I can usually tell them apart just at a glance, but I wasn't sure looking at your pictures.
    I will pass on your compliment to the painter! I didn't do it. But that is good to hear.

I did paint this one myself as a test to see if I could paint a skull realistically. Please tell me what you think. I used white primer and oil paints.

Your criticism is welcome!
    From
    Oslo, Norway
    1 Day Ago  Jun 24, 2017, 2:08 PM - Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull #55

Not a bad paint-job at all! Getting plastic to look like worn and discoloured bone is not easy. Our local preparator sometimes paint up casts of fossils for other museums, and the skull you did is about as good as he does (and he's a professional).
    From
    Oslo, Norway
    1 Day Ago  Jun 24, 2017, 2:19 PM - Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull #56

DeLano80 said: View Post
    Real human skull are expensive though. Donate yours to me and I'll do it!
    They used to be fairly affordable. Medical students usually bought a "box-o'-bone" from India, but after India enacted a ban on skeleton export in 1985 prices rose sharply. Kina exported for a while, but after they too closed down export to brush up they international image in connection with the Beijing summer Olympics, prices sky-rocketed.
    1 Day Ago  Jun 24, 2017, 2:30 PM - Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull #57

Not a bad paint-job at all! Getting plastic to look like worn and discoloured bone is not easy. Our local preparator sometimes paint up casts of fossils for other museums, and the skull you did is about as good as he does (and he's a professional).
    Thank you sir! I am still working on my techniques for when i do the neanderthal skull. And you are right, bone is difficult to replicate. I have never tried to paint one before, so it is new to me.

They used to be fairly affordable. Medical students usually bought a "box-o'-bone" from India, but after India enacted a ban on skeleton export in 1985 prices rose sharply. Kina exported for a while, but after they too closed down export to brush up they international image in connection with the Beijing summer Olympics, prices sky-rocketed.
    $1000 and up. That is too much. But for some strange reason, I wouldn't mind having one. Maybe to look at my own mortality or something.