Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Subscribe
    May 2, 2017, 8:36 PM - Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull Parts #26

A very boring photo:

Yes I am slow... I blame my wife and children and take no responsibility for them wasting my important hobby time. Anyway, this is important because those cone head rivets are hard to find. I had to make them at work. I used mild steel. Major diameter .495, minor is .3125 and they are .25 tall. That is what I scaled them to anyhow. I looked everywhere before resorting to making them myself. The dome head rivets are from Mcmaster Carr and are .27 and .33 in diameter respectively. I think that the rivets used on the teeth are a little bigger than the ones used on the straps. I will have to check. Still looking for the proper turnbuckles to no avail and will probably resort to a stand in pair.
    May 3, 2017, 8:54 PM - Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull #27

More pictures featuring terrible lighting!

The jaw bone... Hole will fit a 1/2-13 bolt.

The all important nose bridge plate thing... Made from 1/16 lead sheet, which is harder to chew on than the thinner lead sheet I have for the straps, but it still tastes just as good.

I figure I had better fit everything before I do the final painting so I don't scratch the paint. I excel at breaking things and just all around screwing up.

Oh yeah, I also cut out some slots for the wire on the eyes. I am not sure how big to make the slots due to a lack of reference photos. I talked to a guy who said he had a bunch of pictures, but he has decided to stop replying to my emails. I hate that by the way. Why offer help and then dismiss the whole idea of said help? He is from Australia so I suppose there is a high probability that he has been killed by some sinister animal or perhaps a previously unknown species of poisonous beetle that keeps it poisonous babies in its poisonous pouch because all things in Australia have pouches and are poisonous.
    Last edited by DeLano80; May 3, 2017 at 9:16 PM.
  3. I pee excellence. RPF Premium Member Win7ermute's Avatar
    From
    Western Canada
    May 4, 2017, 1:18 AM - Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull #28

Neat project. How will you display it, are you going to include the blower intake?
  4. Jo RPF Premium Member jec0435's Avatar
    From
    Seattle
    May 4, 2017, 9:49 AM - Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull #29

Pretty cool project indeed! Going to follow this one and see how you progress!
    May 4, 2017, 11:59 AM - Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull #30

Win7ermute said: View Post
    Neat project. How will you display it, are you going to include the blower intake?
    Blower intake? No, that sounds expensive. I have not thought that far ahead. Maybe with a crankshaft stand or something. Honestly, I probably won't keep it. Open to ideas on displaying though.
  6. I pee excellence. RPF Premium Member Win7ermute's Avatar
    From
    Western Canada
    May 4, 2017, 5:57 PM - Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull #31

DeLano80 said: View Post
    Blower intake? No, that sounds expensive. I have not thought that far ahead. Maybe with a crankshaft stand or something. Honestly, I probably won't keep it. Open to ideas on displaying though.
    On the vehicle, the rods connecting the mandible to the skull run through the intake of the stacked blowers (superchargers). Just wasn't sure if you were going to recreate that part or not. Obviously you have to stop somewhere. . .
    May 4, 2017, 6:07 PM - Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull #32

Hah! I knew what you meant. It is a Scott superslot injector hat I think. And I am kinda thinking of either a crankshaft spinal column looking thing or maybe a piston rod... Not sure.
  8. I pee excellence. RPF Premium Member Win7ermute's Avatar
    From
    Western Canada
    May 5, 2017, 12:57 AM - Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull #33

You had me at "crankshaft spinal column" !
    May 10, 2017, 9:18 PM - Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull #34

A little more progress. Trying to fit things up before I paint this thing. So far, I do not believe I have ruined it...

Small rivets added. Drilling the holes was not entirely fun, but it worked.

And the cone head rivet:

So far I am satisfied with my results. After painting the skull, I will weather the metal to match the prop as best I can. Since lead does not rust like steel, I will have to experiment with different methods. As I assemble this, I will pull the metal bands tight and form them to the skull as I go.

Things I still need to do:
    (1) Teeth. I have done a couple mock ups, but not happy with result.
    (2) Figure out the slot cut for the eye wires. I don't know how big the slot needs to be.
    (3) Under the jaw, there is a round tube that is threaded to accept the bolts for the turnbuckles. Haven't begun that yet Nor have I contemplated how to attach it to the skull.
    (4) Everything else....

I still need to source those turnbuckles. Not as easy as it looks to match them. Go ahead and try, I dare you. Seriously, help would be appreciated!
    Have not found any more good reference photos that show the back side in close detail. Still working on it.
    From
    Los Angeles,CA
    May 10, 2017, 9:34 PM - Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull #35

did you check boat hardware type sources for the turn buckles?

did you take a side shot image with your known sizing and then estimate what size turnbuckle it is you are looking for?
    look on ebay
    Last edited by Abelugo; May 10, 2017 at 9:41 PM.
    May 10, 2017, 10:27 PM - Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull #36

Abelugo said: View Post
    did you check boat hardware type sources for the turn buckles?

did you take a side shot image with your known sizing and then estimate what size turnbuckle it is you are looking for?
    look on ebay
    Thanks for the tips! And to answer, yes I have. The closest I kind find are Meriman bronze turnbuckles. 1/2-13 seems to scale pretty well. The problem I see with those is the crossbar. I would have to cut that out and then try to blend the "fresh" metal in.
    Here is an example:

These are the 7/16" size which are a tad small, but you get the idea. Also, not pictured here is the side profile which bulges out toward the ends. In other words, they are more narrow in the middle. I believe (could be mistaken) that the turnbuckles on the prop are the same width the whole length. Again, more reference pictures would help. And I can still use a stand in pair, but unless I can correct ones, I may go with the merimans as a close enough option. I don't really want to do that, but may have to.
    From
    Los Angeles,CA
    May 10, 2017, 11:11 PM - Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull #37

you a couple good points there and some direction.
    "stand-ins" are a good way to keep the project going while you find a closer item.
    Jun 12, 2017, 10:42 AM - Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull #38

I have not posted here in quite a while. The reason is because I have stalled on this project. I finally found a couple turnbuckles that are a very close match to the ones used. They will require slight modification. Another problem I am having is the teeth. I can cut and bend the teeth but I cannot perform the radius around the bottom edge without the metal crimping. I think I need new tools.

In the interim I have been working on the Mini-Max. I call it the mini because it uses a modern human skull which is about 2/3 the size of the Neanderthal. So, everything has been scaled down. The conical rivets were not used. Instead I used different dome head rivets and little finish nails. Smaller diameter wire. Turnbuckles from the hardware store. This proved a bit more difficult than I had hoped. The modern human skull does not lend itself well for attaching turnbuckles to it. The Neanderthal should go easier. The space for putting things is a lot bigger anyway. That was my problem with this skull. The turnbuckles just didn’t fit, the way to attach them had to be adjusted. Also, the way they attach makes them finicky. Tightening the top makes the bottom splay out so it is difficult to get the proper balance. I will probably end up epoxying them to get the “stance” I am looking for. I see in the following pictures my jawbone is a bit crooked. That is because my parts are loose. This was a good exercise for me I think.

When will I figure out how to use a camera? I have no idea. They always look awful!

The Mini-Max…

I will finish this and put together a pipe fitting stand for it and get rid of it I think.
    And the real Screaming Skull will continue...
  14. Mystery Chunk RPF Premium Member PoopaPapaPalps's Avatar
    From
    IA, USA
    Jun 12, 2017, 1:17 PM - Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull #39

I have not posted here in quite a while. The reason is because I have stalled on this project. I finally found a couple turnbuckles that are a very close match to the ones used. They will require slight modification. Another problem I am having is the teeth. I can cut and bend the teeth but I cannot perform the radius around the bottom edge without the metal crimping. I think I need new tools.
    If it's something you think you can live with, you can avoid the crimping by cutting notches where the metal begins to crimp when you initially cut your metal for the teeth. That way, when you work on shaping the radius, the edges of the notch will line up and you can then solder or weld them together, file, and clean that seam. I ran into a similar problem when I was working on my Ripsaw/War Rig skull ornament and to avoid the same headache when I was reworking the piece to get a cleaner finish, I made a template of the final thing I was looking for out of paper and tape first, then cut and laid that out flat on the metal I was working with.

Of course, that's one way. I think if you're really willing to put the work in, you can get the exact result of the actual prop with a planishing hammer and a ball stake.
    Jun 12, 2017, 2:24 PM - Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull #40

PoopaPapaPalps said: View Post
    you can avoid the crimping by cutting notches where the metal begins to crimp when you initially cut your metal for the teeth. That way, when you work on shaping the radius, the edges of the notch will line up and you can then solder or weld them together, file, and clean that seam.
    Good advice. I did exactly that. Wasn't happy with the result though.
    Jun 19, 2017, 8:41 PM - Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull #41

A cheap stand of pipe fittings. I think for the real screaming skull, I will find a way to display it that is less obtrusive. But this does serve its purpose.

From
    suffolk county ny
    Jun 20, 2017, 11:07 PM - Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull #42

that is too damn cool. i love it, i think i need one for myself,,,lol Its a true work of art.....well done!
  18. RPF Premium Member Mr Webber's Avatar
    From
    Terra Australis
    Jun 20, 2017, 11:10 PM - Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull #43

Great job.
    Jun 21, 2017, 9:05 PM - Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull #44

chuckyAPP said: View Post
    that is too damn cool. i love it, i think i need one for myself,,,lol Its a true work of art.....well done!
    Mr Webber said: View Post
    Great job.
    Thank you! Fun to work on.

Okay back to the real version...
    I finally got my turnbuckles! They are not the exact style, but close enough to be modified to be as accurate as I can get. These are Merriman bronze turnbuckles. They scale to the correct size, shape and length. The ends are bulged out in the profile. That needs to be flattened and there is also a crossbar in the middle that needs to go.

So this:

Compared to this:

I have actually seen these bronze turnbuckle with a patina very close to the above picture. Mine are chrome plated and they are going on the mill. I will flatten out the bulged ends and blend in the radius as well as cutting out the crossbar.

And here they are after the milling and sandblasting the stubborn chrome off:

A couple comparison shots against my computer screen:

Laid right on top of the closest turnbuckle in the photo.

And a side by side:

Pretty close I think. May have to round the ends a bit more.
    That is it for now. Thanks for looking at my ultra-super slow paced build of something more people may have cared about two years ago when the movie came out!
    From
    Los Angeles,CA
    Jun 21, 2017, 9:31 PM - Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull #45

On the lower jaw, maybe create a rough wood "U" shape and put that on a vise with the metal piece and start hammering them over? Also cut V notches to bend it over as Papapoopa says.

Everything is looking way awesome!!! great job.
    From
    suffolk county ny
    Jun 21, 2017, 10:11 PM - Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull #46

great work so far.....tough when you have kids, believe me in know. These builds can take forever. looks awesome
  22. Mystery Chunk RPF Premium Member PoopaPapaPalps's Avatar
    From
    IA, USA
    Jun 21, 2017, 11:30 PM - Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull #47

...Thanks for looking at my ultra-super slow paced build of something more people may have cared about two years ago when the movie came out!
    Friend, a top-quality film like Fury Road will always be revered. I bet you, 20 years from now, FR will still be looked at with awe and still excite viewers. Definitely heads above the other films that were released that year.
    Jun 22, 2017, 1:29 AM - Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull #48

Abelugo said: View Post
    On the lower jaw, maybe create a rough wood "U" shape and put that on a vise with the metal piece and start hammering them over? Also cut V notches to bend it over as Papapoopa says.
    Good idea! I will try that. Maybe I can beat it into submission.

chuckyAPP said: View Post
    great work so far.....tough when you have kids, believe me in know. These builds can take forever. looks awesome
    Thank you! And family, while full of good times, can be a real hindrance to hobbies!

PoopaPapaPalps said: View Post
    Friend, a top-quality film like Fury Road will always be revered. I bet you, 20 years from now, FR will still be looked at with awe and still excite viewers. Definitely heads above the other films that were released that year.
    Poopa, you speak the truth!
    By the way, I have admired your Nux bobblehead and your steering wheel. Your work is top notch!
    Last edited by DeLano80; Jun 22, 2017 at 1:36 AM.
  24. Mystery Chunk RPF Premium Member PoopaPapaPalps's Avatar
    From
    IA, USA
    Jun 22, 2017, 8:39 AM - Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull #49

Thanks! I actually had in mind of making the wheel for myself, with the fully decorated "wreath", and have enough materials to do it but...that's been put on the back-burner. At least until I get a bandsaw.
  25. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Topeka Ks
    Jun 22, 2017, 8:32 PM - Re: Mad Max Fury Road Screaming Skull #50

http://www.aircraft-tool.com/shop/se...d=solid+rivets

This is where I get most of my solid rivets like the ones you have pictured.